Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hortontoters Hunting Log

Well the "unknown" of the shot my dad took on Thursday evening ate at me all day Friday. By Saturday I had to find out what had really transpired. I grabbed my metal detector and my hunting gear. My wife and I jumped in the truck and headed to the cabin. I looked all through the area where I guessed the arrow may have ended up. After an hour of scanning with the detector still no arrow. At that point I'm thinking the worst. The deer was hit and had an arrow in him. I went and looked where my dad said the deer had went. Trying to find dried blood was going to be a challenge. I never found a speck of blood and searched the creek bottom for about 2 hours. No dead deer to be found. Now I was perplexed to say the least. Back to work with the detector, no arrow. As a last ditch effort I decided to look on the sidehill behind where I had searched with the detector. I figured the chance of the arrow being on the hillside was very slim, but was worth trying. I crossed a small moist area that a sidehill spring creates and climbed over a tree that had fallen a couple years ago. I just got over the tree and looked to my right and saw the bright green nock sticking out like a sore thumb. At the same instant I could see the fletching, clean as a whistle. I had a milk jug laying against a tree that I use to dowse fires. I hung it by the arrow, crossed the creek and went in to the box stand. I looked where the arrow was in relation to where my dad said the deer was standing. The arrow was at least 6-8 foot to the right. My dad is a good shot, the reason I was so concered about the deer being hit to begin with. As I looked thingssover I saw a small broken over branch that is on the creek edge about ten foot from the stand. I leaned a little to the right, as my dad shoots from his right shoulder and I from my left. Yep, that branch was right in the line of fire. I got out and sure enough a fresh nick right on the top edge of the branch. He had hit that branch and caused the arrow to deflect and miss the deer by feet not inches. I felt much better and so did he when I phoned him about finding his arrow and what had happened.

I had about three hours of daylight left and packed up my detector and the arrow. Went to my truck got dressed in my hunting clothes and headed to the woods. I knew this sit was going to be different. I had found a nice rub/scrape line Thursday morning and saw two bucks use it on Thursday evening from my outhouse stand. I knew that I wanted to move in on this location. I haven't hunted like this for a while, sitting on the ground without any type of stand or pop up blind. I found a spot about 18 yards downwind of two large scrapes on the trail. It had two 8" trees with a couple of small flexible saplings near them. I found a dead limb and wove it through the saplings and forced it towards the ground to make a quick rest for my crossbow. I cleared away the leaves and sat on the bare ground. I looked at my watch it was 3:14. Plenty of time for things to settle. I saw the first buck at 4:15 on Thursday. At about 3:30 I heard my neighbors ATV fire up. Next thing I know he was about 75 yards to my right cutting wood with his chainsaw. I sat til nearly dark and he sawed the whole time. Needless to say not a deer to be seen. But, my stand is set up and I'll be back in it soon.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good read Hortontoter!! Best of luck out there, can wait to see you in a picture smiling next to a big ol buck!!

Two more dissapointing days on stand Friday and Saturday. 16 hours in two days hunting three different setups. Never saw a deer and my frustration level is climbing every time out. Quite a few youth hunters were taking shots in my area yesterday, but not one deeer went by me. According to my cameras my creek bottom is still the hot area for cruising bucks. I had my Dad sit in this stand the two days we hunted, nothing come by him either. One week til the gun opener and the bucks will be shook up if not killed. Will hunt a few sits in the latter part of this coming week. The first decent eight or better that steps out in range is in trouble. I ate tag soup last season waiting for a particular deer, I'm not doing this season.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Way to stay positive HT! It can be down right frustrating! What I have done in the past is take a break a few days then go at it like gangbusters! I use my break to get some work done and spend time with family!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to read up on the clean miss. Good luck and hang in there bud. You are not alone. Difference being, I am perfectly fine with eating my tag this year if I need to. We have a couple shooters and a couple borderline. Hard to imagine what they will do next year if they make it!

Time for an update. Had a tough week and have been stewing over it. I hunted the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Choose the wrong stand on Saturday evening due to input from my cameras. Not one deer had moved through my creek bottom from the opening day of youth season through the end of the day on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I decided to hunt a stand in the woods instead of the creek bottom on Saturday. My photo shows what showed up at the stand I didn't hunt. The time is an hour ahead due to the fact I had changed it after the time change.

Came home Saturday night for a needed shower and went back Sunday evening. Planned to hunt Monday and Tuesday. The rain threw a wrench in my hunting though. I must cross a creek to get to my hunting area from my cabin. I do this either on foot or on my Craftsman lawn tractor. I used to have a bridge over this creek but a flood in 2006 destroyed it. Well to make it short, the creek was to high to safely cross on Monday or Tuesday. I don't buy tags as I only hunt on my own property. So I spent both days looking out the cabin window and doing some needed cabin related chores.

Attachments

• PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 266

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel your pain buddy. I hunted the 15th and 17th. Guess who showed up on the 16th at 752am? Number one buck on the hit list. Go figure. Good luck this weekend!

Hunted Friday and Saturday. Had an encounter at 4:50 Saturday afternoon that finally got my heartbeat up. Had a nice eight point show up about 50 yards to my right as I sat in my outhouse stand. He was on a beeline to my position. This buck was as calm as any deer I have seen this season. He must have just got out of his bed to do his evening routine. He acted as though no one had bothered him all week. As he closed the distance I was pretty sure he was going to wear my buck tag. Well, he never quite got into crossbow range as he angled to the west of my position. It was good to know that at least one buck that is a shooter was still alive and acting carefree on Saturday evening. Still got a couple months to get the job done.

Thank you. When it comes to chasing bucks I am a very determined individual. Having to use my crossbow for gun season makes things a little more challenging that week. If I had been using my 1100 on Saturday the outcome would have been different. But, my doctor, told me no more shooting my shotgun after I had my open heart surgery. He said he felt shooting a shotgun with only one arm could cause me problems. I'm not taking any chances.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang HT, sorry to hear that! Limiting yourself to a xbow during deer gun has to be a difficult decision. I hope you get a crack at a whopper before seasons end. You've got the right attitude and I'm glad to hear it. Goodluck!

Was out a couple time since the end of gun week and the sits, brought more, less than encouraging results. Add in trail camera issues and a couple personal issues and things have been challenging to say the least. But, hey thats hunting.

Two more nice sits Friday evening and today. Great weather to be out in the woods. Nothing showed Friday afternoon. Was getting a bit discouraging and really had to make myself leave my nice warm cabin to go out this morning at daybreak. By 9:30 I had seen what seemed like 6000 squirrels, but no deer. I decided to take a quick walk and look for some deer sign. Within 75 yards of my stand I found three very fresh scrapes which told me some of the area bucks survived gun week. Feeling much better I got back in my stand. At 11:10 I caught movement that I knew immediately was a deer. Sure enough a wounded doe came limping down one of my mowed trails. I was hoping she would come my way so I could finish her. But, she stayed the course and passed about 45 yards in front of me. Way to far for me to even think about a shot with the 'ol Horton. That was the only deer I saw today, but the sign gave me renewed hope.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Glad you're getting some time in the woods HT. Too bad that doe stayed just a tad out of range though. Somehow they just seem to do that, like they can sense it or something. Good luck out there!!

Spent a beautiful afternoon on stand Thursday. My anticipation was through the roof. My wife has been sick and is was the first time in about 10 days that I was able to get away to hunt. Seemed to be fresh tracks everywhere yesterday. Climbed in my Porta-Pot stand and watched the critters for about 3 1/2 hours. Seemed like everything was moving about, except the whitetails. Never saw hide nor hair of a deer, let alone any antlers. Was a great sit and nice to unwind. Hoping to sneak away again soon.