Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fourth bedroom 2012

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a lot of cuts for such a small room! Keep up the good work, Phil. It's really coming along!

Yup. Lots of mudding to do. Part of the problem lies in the fact my guys were working on it without me part of the time. The other part of it is because they screwed up so many sheets of drywall dad and I finished with the scraps. Ugh. Pretty ridiculous when you tell them exactly how to lay it out and where to place the seams, yet i have all this mudding to do. The other part is simply how the room is laid out. Oh well.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yup. Lots of mudding to do. Part of the problem lies in the fact my guys were working on it without me part of the time. The other part of it is because they screwed up so many sheets of drywall dad and I finished with the scraps. Ugh. Pretty ridiculous when you tell them exactly how to lay it out and where to place the seams, yet i have all this mudding to do. The other part is simply how the room is laid out. Oh well.

I'll mud, float and tape drywall all day, but to hell with sanding it. I can't stand that dust. Last time I just got a Mexican to finish the drywall.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll mud, float and tape drywall all day, but to hell with sanding it. I can't stand that dust. Last time I just got a Mexican to finish the drywall.

Hahah... Agreed... Sanding is BY FAR the worst part. I'd pay to have someone else sand it in a heartbeat!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No pictures tonight. Hard to show much difference in coats of drywall. I have been busy the last couple of weeks, but working on the room off and on. I should have the second coat of mud completely finished tomorrow and working on the third coat in some places.

Good news! Talked to a buddy while on my way to buy some more mud tonight. Asked me how the project was going. Told him I was hoping to be painting by the weekend and was going to price trim while at the store tonight. He said not to worry about the trim. Claims he has tons of it in his shop that hasn't been touched and probably won't get used in the near future. He told me to stop over and take what I needed! I asked him what he wanted for it. He laughed. "I need it to get used somewhere. It isn't doing me any good. If it saves you a couple hundred bucks, I am glad to have helped."

You know, there are "friends" and then there are "true friends." I don't consider this guy a "true friend" because he offered me some free trim, but it sure is nice to know there are good people out there still. When I told him we were bringing in my wife's nephew, Geoffrey, he said "If there is anything I can do to help out, just let me know." I guess he meant it. haha Maybe I should have posted this in the "TOO good" thread?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Haven't made it over to check out the trim yet. Last two nights have ended at around 1am with drywall sanding and mud applications. I am feeling the dragging butt getting heavier right now. Relaxing in the recliner and barking out chore orders to the kids right now. When questioned, I simply stated "Who has worked the last two days while you were in school and then worked on Geoffrey's room until 1am? It is now your turn to do your chores." Keep in mind, I generally help them out but they are plenty old enough to pick up their rooms without assistance, empty trash cans, and put THEIR laundry away my wife had washed and folded. Now it is time to rest up a bit and tackle the (hopefully last round) drywall sanding and finishing touches. I am dragging butt big time, been sneezing drywall dust buggers the last two days and my eyes feel like the Sahara, but it will be worth it when I am done. Tons cheaper than hiring it out and the satisfaction of a completed job can't be beat!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
No pictures tonight. Hard to show much difference in coats of drywall. I have been busy the last couple of weeks, but working on the room off and on. I should have the second coat of mud completely finished tomorrow and working on the third coat in some places.

Good news! Talked to a buddy while on my way to buy some more mud tonight. Asked me how the project was going. Told him I was hoping to be painting by the weekend and was going to price trim while at the store tonight. He said not to worry about the trim. Claims he has tons of it in his shop that hasn't been touched and probably won't get used in the near future. He told me to stop over and take what I needed! I asked him what he wanted for it. He laughed. "I need it to get used somewhere. It isn't doing me any good. If it saves you a couple hundred bucks, I am glad to have helped."

You know, there are "friends" and then there are "true friends." I don't consider this guy a "true friend" because he offered me some free trim, but it sure is nice to know there are good people out there still. When I told him we were bringing in my wife's nephew, Geoffrey, he said "If there is anything I can do to help out, just let me know." I guess he meant it. haha Maybe I should have posted this in the "TOO good" thread?

Damn Phil, it's hard to pass up free "trim":smiley_crocodile:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Damn Phil, it's hard to pass up free "trim":smiley_crocodile:

Gee, thanks Chad. You have met the guy I am referring to. We are good friends, but I am not interested in his "trim". I will take some of the free baseboard trim though. lol

Okay. I was hoping to get the first coat of paint on today, but it looks like I have a tad more sanding to finish. A few of the outside corners needed a little more loving today. They are drying now, and maybe I can sand them again before bed. We did pick up the paint today as well as pick out some carpet.

Here are the pictures of where we stand as of right now.

Attachments

• 2-19-12 E wall.jpg
    2-19-12 E wall.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 2-19-12 S wall.jpg
    2-19-12 S wall.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 2-19-12 ceiling.jpg
    2-19-12 ceiling.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 2-19-12 W wall.jpg
    2-19-12 W wall.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 2-19-12 N wall.jpg
    2-19-12 N wall.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 156

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This project is stretching out longer than it should have or needs to. I know the kids have been bugging me something fierce to help paint. Therefore, I knew I had to finish up the second coat on the ceiling tonight. It is done and should be plenty dry by tomorrow afternoon when we will probably get to it. Hope to finish the paint over the weekend and start on the trim/casings next week. Here is the final ceiling paint work.

Attachments

• ceiling painting done.jpg
    ceiling painting done.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 210
  • N kneewall ceiling painted.jpg
    N kneewall ceiling painted.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 168

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just a little bit of time to mess around on the room project today. Mounted up the light now that the ceiling is done.

Ceiling light mounted.jpg

Got the kids in bed and slid back into the room to do a test area of paint. I guess it doesn't really matter because the whole room is going to see it eventually, but I wanted to see how dark it was. Just a tad darker than I would have liked to have seen. Might still lighten up as it dries. Oh well, Geoffrey picked it out.

green dormer.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First coat on all the walls now. Should have second coat done quicker when I am not tripping over 3 kids and a dog in a 10x10 room tomorrow. lmao

Second coat is usually faster anyway. Planning on sanding down the baseboard and door moulding tomorrow as well. Need to get this wrapped up and carpet down. Geoffrey needs his own room instead of the dang chaise to sleep on. Left to right are Geoffrey, Garrett, and GraciAnn. Brutus is in the front row with a bit of green paint on top of his head.

Not sure why it looks so "Kawasaki Green" in the pictures. Must be the lighting. Picture of the room facing the dormer is a little closer to actual color. Geoffrey's choice. I really don't care what color it is.

Attachments

• IMG00488-20120226-2016 E wall painted.jpg
    IMG00488-20120226-2016 E wall painted.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG00490-20120226-2017 N wall painted.jpg
    IMG00490-20120226-2017 N wall painted.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG00489-20120226-2016 S wall painted.jpg
    IMG00489-20120226-2016 S wall painted.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG00487-20120226-2014 W wall painted and kids.jpg
    IMG00487-20120226-2014 W wall painted and kids.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 170

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Been a bit slow on the project. Trying to get the right combination for the baseboard and window trim. I found it and we finished it up. Hope to be able to work on it this week. Then it is onto carpet and we are done!

Attachments

• baseboard.jpg
    baseboard.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 149
  • base board.jpg
    base board.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 155