Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Formerly “teen”bowhunter’s 2019 season

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
After four missed with the bow and one with a shotgun I effectively scared every turkey off that property.

Sunday I went out to a bow only logging property and jumped a Tom and some hens so I backed out. I came back Monday around 9 am and just snuck in super slowly to where they were. I eased out of the woods and could see him strutting 100 yards down the gravel road. I backed into the woods and stalked around to where I’d be within 50. I looked back out and he wasn’t there. I went back into the woods and covered another 50 but he was nowhere to be seen.

I went back to grab my stuff and saw him strutting right next to the house that had been back behind me while I was sneaking. The rule on this logging property is that you can’t shoot anywhere near the random house in the middle so I just kept walking naturally. As I got my stuff together he started gobbling. I circled back around and set up in a beautiful meadow in the clear cut.

I have one of Chad’s custom calls and called back and forth with him for two hours. I tried every combination of silence and aggressive yelping and anything I could throw at him and he just sat there gobbling his head off. Finally I let out three sets of three loud yelps and went silent. One minute later he gobbles just inside of the tree line. His red head poked out above the grass and he saw the jake decoy. He ran 100 yards at a full sprint and strutted straight in his face. Just as his tail feathers turned towards me I drew back. For once I took my time and let him turn to the left. I aimed for the hips and let it fly. He dropped like a rock and didn’t flop at all.

I’d shot one leg in half at the knee and gone straight through the vitals with my arrow still hanging out the back side.