Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

College Football Thread

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Now let's look at Bamas schedule by the top 20 power index ranking ending this week. Bama spent half the season playing top 20 power index teams and won 5 out of 6 of those.

Screenshot_20231203-210916_Chrome.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Do the same for FSU and they have 2 in the top 20. To reach their top 6 you have to go all the way to 47th. One 24th, 32nd, 38th, and 47th to round out their top 6.

Sure FSU went "undefeated". But comparing a 12-1 Bama against an undefeated FSU is like comparing apples to chicken eggs.

The committee absolutely got it wrong. But, they got it wrong way before today. FSU should have never been in the top 4 to begin with. Dare I argue even the top 10. Liberty is 13-0 and ranked 24th. The win over LSU would keep them above 13th. But they should have been somewhere around 9-12 IMO.

Now all they need to do is show up and hammer GA to prove the committee got it wrong. But if you have watched any Ga and FSU football, you know that's isn't going to be an easy task.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Leaving FSU out was the right call. Barely best Florida. Best Louisville but it wasn't pretty. I saw what Joe saw. Dropped balls, etc. Georgia struggling against Ga tech didn't help them any. Bama is not the Bama I've seen in the past. Then again, even the undefeated or 1 loss teams were riding the struggle bus this year. Bama just squeaked out wins. UM never got tested until the last 4 games. Those weren't 4 pretty games or dominating games. BUT. . . .they took care of business and remained undefeated.

I just don't see much of a valid argument for FL State. The committee is supposed to choose the "four best teams." FL State isn't one of them.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Do the same for FSU and they have 2 in the top 20. To reach their top 6 you have to go all the way to 47th. One 24th, 32nd, 38th, and 47th to round out their top 6.

Sure FSU went "undefeated". But comparing a 12-1 Bama against an undefeated FSU is like comparing apples to chicken eggs.

The committee absolutely got it wrong. But, they got it wrong way before today. FSU should have never been in the top 4 to begin with. Dare I argue even the top 10. Liberty is 13-0 and ranked 24th. The win over LSU would keep them above 13th. But they should have been somewhere around 9-12 IMO.

Now all they need to do is show up and hammer GA to prove the committee got it wrong. But if you have watched any Ga and FSU football, you know that's isn't going to be an easy task.
I agree on the 4 best teams getting I. But dear God, ESPN's Fpi is a joke if ND is 10th. They have A&M 14th. It's laughable. After michigan beat osu last week they actually moved osu to #1. They only moved michigan ahead after beating Iowa. It's terrible

Reactions: Dustinb80

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
One things is for sure. The SEC hate on Twitter, FB, and TikTok is flowing now. Lots of people who wouldn't outright say it before are saying the quiet parts out loud.

Reactions: Tipmoose

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
One things is for sure. The SEC hate on Twitter, FB, and TikTok is flowing now. Lots of people who wouldn't outright say it before are saying the quiet parts out loud.
The hate should be toward the flawed system. 4 best teams got in IMO. I'd love for Michigan to be playing FSU instead. I think the 12 team system will still have a few teams pitching, but at that point your probably a 2-3 loss team and have nobody to blame but yourself

Creamer

Athens
I'll tell you where the FSU hatred should be directed: Auburn. They couldn't defend Bama's receivers, only rushing TWO at the QB, on 4th and goal from Huntsville. And they still allowed a TD throw and lose to Bama. That loss would have eliminated the Tide.

In all honesty, I don't think this situation was all that complicated. Rank the P5 conferences, top to bottom. I'm not sure how you rank 1-4, but I'd bet most people have the ACC #5 behind the SEC, Big 10, PAC 12, and Big 12. If the ACC is the 5th best conference, why should their champion be included over any of the other 4 just because FSU is undefeated? When your biggest win of the year was in the opening week of the season over the 3rd place team from the SEC West, it's just not that impressive. They haven't been impressive for a while, and with Travis out, I don't think they stood much of a chance against any of the top 4 teams.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll tell you where the FSU hatred should be directed: Auburn. They couldn't defend Bama's receivers, only rushing TWO at the QB, on 4th and goal from Huntsville. And they still allowed a TD throw and lose to Bama. That loss would have eliminated the Tide.

In all honesty, I don't think this situation was all that complicated. Rank the P5 conferences, top to bottom. I'm not sure how you rank 1-4, but I'd bet most people have the ACC #5 behind the SEC, Big 10, PAC 12, and Big 12. If the ACC is the 5th best conference, why should their champion be included over any of the other 4 just because FSU is undefeated? When your biggest win of the year was in the opening week of the season over the 3rd place team from the SEC West, it's just not that impressive. They haven't been impressive for a while, and with Travis out, I don't think they stood much of a chance against any of the top 4 teams.

That's a good way of looking at it also. Personally I don't think FSU should have been there to begin with. The CFP screwed up but it was week 9, not Sunday.

Reactions: Creamer