Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

College Football Thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea, I'd like to think our presence on FSU's schedule reduced their SoS to the point it played a role in their getting jumped.

Eh. Just as long as the noles, UT, and UGA aren't in it...that's the best I can hope for. We're not going to be relevant for another 4 years at least.

Any interest in letting us take Ryan Day off your hands?
I'd add the fact the Seminoles struggled against the Gators could NOT have helped them.

Reactions: Tipmoose

Creamer

Athens
Can we agree that the transfer portal has turned college sports into the wild west? It's like every player in the country just hit free agency. My lowly Ohio Bobcats had a solid year, finishing 9-3. In basically one day, they lost to the portal their: starting QB, top two RB's, and two starting WR's. The offense is gutted. I'm not sure how those players can be replaced in one cycle.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Can we agree that the transfer portal has turned college sports into the wild west? It's like every player in the country just hit free agency. My lowly Ohio Bobcats had a solid year, finishing 9-3. In basically one day, they lost to the portal their: starting QB, top two RB's, and two starting WR's. The offense is gutted. I'm not sure how those players can be replaced in one cycle.
Looks like they will have to hit the portal themselves. Only 40-50% of the kids who enter it will get offers.

Reactions: Creamer

Jamie

Ohio
Yes. The transfer portal and NIL money have ruined college football. Money corrupts everything it touches. Division 1 college football players used to be "student athletes". They are not really that anymore. The game is now significantly and permanently changed and not for the better, imo. Not sure how much longer I can stay interested.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It’s definitely given the players all the power and leverage and the mid tier schools will suffer but that’s always happened, imo.
Jamie is spot on about the money though cuz it’s the root of all that’s bad in the world.
Parity seems to be at an all time high right now which I like but at what cost is the question.

Reactions: giles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Some of the comments are gold.

Screenshot_20231209_182641_Instagram.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Funny stuff but still shows how far some will go to get the edge to win at all costs. Legal yeah but how about just playing the game and proving who’s the best on the field?🤷🏻‍♂️🙄😂
Agreed. Although I don't think he was an active UM coach this season. I believe he was a prior UM coach. Not sure how long he has been away from the team.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Oh come on. Do you know how many Saban assistants have been hired right out from under him. Many are now even head coaches. This guy was just sitting at home on the couch. 🤣

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh come on. Do you know how many Saban assistants have been hired right out from under him. Many are now even head coaches. This guy was just sitting at home on the couch. 🤣
Maybe? but timing is suspect don’t ya think? Whose position is he filling in for or did they create a position? lol
How many did he lure away from programs that were on there way up? Lane Kiffin, Sark(spelling?lol) to name a few.
Saban is a master of surrounding himself with very good assistant coaches which is a key factor in his success there in Tuscaloosa.