Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I like how kind he is with this statement. 😅 talk about an understatement.

"The early lack of federal investment in rapid testing was a pivotal mistake, says Michael Mina, a well-known expert in testing and former Harvard epidemiology professor."

What I remember is the CDC refusing to use the international standardized test, insisting on developing their own, taking two month to do so, finally getting them rolled out to medical clinics, only to find out within days that their tests were junk and highly inaccurate, then reverting back to the international standard tests, wasting months while covid spread unchecked in the US. To try to make up time they said labs could use whatever test they wanted, but it had to be sent to a CDC lab for official confirmation. Positives before CDC official confirmation were called "presumed positive". Screwing that up too by getting months behind they eventually relented and allowed the international standard PCR tests as official confirmation. The federal government has botched this since day 1 and its only gotten worse under Brandon.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I like how kind he is with this statement. 😅 talk about an understatement.

"The early lack of federal investment in rapid testing was a pivotal mistake, says Michael Mina, a well-known expert in testing and former Harvard epidemiology professor."

What I remember is the CDC refusing to use the international standardized test, insisting on developing their own, taking two month to do so, finally getting them rolled out to medical clinics, only to find out within days that their tests were junk and highly inaccurate, then reverting back to the international standard tests, wasting months while covid spread unchecked in the US. To try to make up time they said labs could use whatever test they wanted, but it had to be sent to a CDC lab for official confirmation. Positives before CDC official confirmation were called "presumed positive". Screwing that up too by getting months behind they eventually relented and allowed the international standard PCR tests as official confirmation. The federal government has botched this since day 1 and its only gotten worse under Brandon.
That laughing guy was a dumb thumb i agree with your post. Hope you and wife are feeling well

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That laughing guy was a dumb thumb i agree with your post. Hope you and wife are feeling well

Doing pretty well actually, thanks for asking. Very scratchy throat, occasional dry cough, body aches and tiredness. Standard cold like symptoms. My wife and I went and got a test at the health department today. "Presumed negative" 😕 how the hell. The more accurate test should be back in a couple days. My sister was here for 2.5 days and left sunday morning, Monday morning she tested positive. She got the infusion today. Her 02 levels are stable but she feels like she got hit by a school bus and has it parked on her chest. She did say today was slightly better than yesterday but she lost taste and smell this morning.

How the hell, she was in the house for 2.5 days with her husband and three kids all playing games, sitting on the couch, eating at the same table, how my wife and I didn't get it is beyond me. Unless we did and our immune system is keeping it at a level the rapid test doesn't identify. I do t know. It's all fuckey.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
DCF7FEEE-220F-4FBC-AF5D-FDA9749B0DD6.jpeg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Forgive me if any of this has been covered but I have not really kept up with this thread. I tested positive Saturday for covid with the common cold symptoms. The same symptoms my wife and daughters have had just prior to my test. They all tested negative. I honestly believe the tests are producing false positives and/or false negatives. The same exact symptoms but different results.
I was told not to come to work for 10 days and get retested on the 11th. …that’s one way to finally get some days off! I’m currently feeling close to normal and am planning to do some outside work today. My employer is considering changing their policy to testing after 5 days which would be unfortunate with muzzy season inside the 10 day window.
i never had a fever or lost taste.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Forgive me if any of this has been covered but I have not really kept up with this thread. I tested positive Saturday for covid with the common cold symptoms. The same symptoms my wife and daughters have had just prior to my test. They all tested negative. I honestly believe the tests are producing false positives and/or false negatives. The same exact symptoms but different results.
I was told not to come to work for 10 days and get retested on the 11th. …that’s one way to finally get some days off! I’m currently feeling close to normal and am planning to do some outside work today. My employer is considering changing their policy to testing after 5 days which would be unfortunate with muzzy season inside the 10 day window.
i never had a fever or lost taste.

It's strange for sure. My sister tested positive after being here all last weekend for Christmas. We both got sick Monday with almost identical symptoms but hers were worse than mine. She tested positive and I tested negative with both rapid and pcr. How that is even possible after two days of exposure is beyond me. I would be inclined to believe hers was a false positive and we both had bad colds but she lost taste and smell.

Last edited:
Co-worker is out with Covid today. He came down with symptoms on Thursday (at work but I took the day off) and by Friday night he has a low grade fever feeling crappy with a sore throat. Now just sinuses and a slight cough. His wife came down with the exact same symptoms the same day and both her tests came back negative, both of his tests came back positive. Neither have lost taste or smell. Oh and they both are vaccinated with boosters.

Reactions: Geezer II

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My wife's coworker has been sick with a cold like symptoms for a week now. His wife has also been sick at the same time. She is vaccinated and tested positive for covid, he is not vaccinated and tested negative twice.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So the omnicrom is less severe, supposedly is at a .2% death rate per 100,000k reported cases. So could this get us closer too heard immunity? One would think it would….