Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm voting with my dollar at the moment too. I haven't been to WV since they mandated masks and I spend a fair amount of money over there. I'm done with Wal-Mart and Kroger too, places we spend a combined $1K a month. Because I'm where I am, acquiring food is difficult if you dont go to Wally World or Kroger, so I'll need to get creative. If this wasn't an overblown political issue, I'd follow along. But the #s simply do not indicate the need to infringe upon the actions of less than 1% of Americans. Not to mention my early statement that the vast majority of people wearing a mask, are not doing it right and are constantly touching the germ soaked rag draped across their face, then touching everything else in sight.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Keep posting Geezer. Nothing wrong with different opinions. Plus, you are in a different category than most of us. I'd be way more cautious if I had another 30yrs under my belt as well.

Doc- good luck. I realize you are working directly in this field. I have friends and family working the front lines too. Even some of them are questioning what they are being told. Still following orders, but asking more questions. I'll wear my mask if around people. Been doing a pretty good job of simply NOT being around people. Always was OCD on hand washing, so this is no different for me. I might recommend starting on page one of this thread. You might find there have been some swings in opinion as this has progressed. I think people are respecting what it is for the most part. More cautious than before. If it is my time to go, I'm not afraid. Doesn't mean I'm trying to expedite the process. Doesn't mean we need to agree either.

Hey Phil i'm not worried about my self - its the younger generation and their future that concerns me - this thread is just a peek at the tremendous divide in this country and i don't want to contribute to it so i'm done on this thread - there is some stuff i wanted to say but i would be preaching to the chior - stay safe

Jamie

Ohio
Actual science behind mask wearing. It ain't good for us.

none of that is news to people who actually have to wear PPE when they go to work to keep themselves healthy and safe.

wouldn't it be nice if the media and the government would spend as much time promoting honest, legitimate common sense measures like good hygiene and social distancing as they do wearing masks? I guess that wouldn't generate near as much controversy and fear.

you don't have to have a PhD in Biochemistry, Microbiology, or Virology to realize that staying far away from other people, particularly sick people, is the best, and perhaps the only way to avoid contracting a virus.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Let's be straight. This is the same CDC that instead of adopting the International standard test from Germany decided to take weeks to make their own version, released it in very limited numbers only to find out it was flawed and worthless. The whole while they banned states and private labs from developing or using their own tests. Once they found out it was flawed they then let states and private labs submit tests for approval. They wasted the most valuable time of a pandemic where they should have been testing, contact tracing and quarantining the sick to contain the outbreak. In that time the virus was allowed to spread nationwide and beyond the ability to contain it. While doing this they told the American people not to buy masks and they didn't need to wear them because they were highly ineffective.

This is also the same government who must not have considered the coin cleaning and wrapping staff at the Federal Reserve essential personnel and didn't staff appropriately which has caused a national coin shortage. Our national monetary system is probably the most important thing to keep up and running, yet they completely botched it. Luckily most banks count and wrap their own bills instead of sending them back to the federal reserve and ordering more like they do coins.

It's things like this that give us pause to not believe everything we are being told. Don't wear a mask, wear a mask, anything even a handkerchief is good enough, etc.. Trust is a hard thing to get back and if anyone disagrees then they should read this post from the beginning. We all agree in some situations the virus can definitely be deadly, no one has ever disputed that. There is a high recovery rate, do I want to find out if I would end up in one or the other, fuck no! Scolding people for having a discussion and sorting this stuff out along the way with others is asinine tho.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I don’t know what bad azz boys you’re talking about Geezer but this bad azz ain’t been doing no rioting or looting in big crowds or drinking in no beer joints or attending no weddings or funerals. Probably would have been a good idea to shoot some looters and rioters a few weeks back to cut down on the spread if this thing is as bad as we’ve been hearing for four months.

Brock, your family and situation has been on my mind and I have wondered how you/them feel about this after living through it.

I can't get a good feel for where you're at with all this. Not calling you out on the carpet by any means, I am genuinely curious. What say ya?

I'm torn right down the middle with what feels like the majority of folks. I know its real, not a hoax. I understand we know little about it and that the data is jacked. Its all about personal risk right now it feels like. I have and will continue to wear a mask when indoors and zi cannot socially distance myself. But then last night while outside at Sports Force Park for ours boys baseball game, there are areas where you are passing a family on a sidewalk. Is that OK, are they asking everyone to wear a mask in that situation? If not, then whats the difference if both boys are playing baseball with no social distancing on the field or dug out with other kids?.......just wish it was more clear.

Brock, your family and situation has been on my mind and I have wondered how you/them feel about this after living through it.

I can't get a good feel for where you're at with all this. Not calling you out on the carpet by any means, I am genuinely curious. What say ya?

I'm torn right down the middle with what feels like the majority of folks. I know its real, not a hoax. I understand we know little about it and that the data is jacked. Its all about personal risk right now it feels like. I have and will continue to wear a mask when indoors and zi cannot socially distance myself. But then last night while outside at Sports Force Park for ours boys baseball game, there are areas where you are passing a family on a sidewalk. Is that OK, are they asking everyone to wear a mask in that situation? If not, then whats the difference if both boys are playing baseball with no social distancing on the field or dug out with other kids?.......just wish it was more clear.

Same here Adam, wondering how the Ratcliff family has been doing through it all as well as the baseball. Had a tourney over the weekend where we sat away from others along first base side. Before our game was over people started moving in (like they used to always do) and soon I was telling a lady to give us some fucking space so we could pack up to leave. No masks mandated, none sighted (us included) and definitely no social distancing with parents from these other teams anyway. When we got there it didn't seem like an issue, we just picked a good spot til others wanted it before our game was over anyway.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

I don’t know what to think about it. If it were not for the experience of my Mom, Dad and brother, I’d think this entire thing is blown out of proportion. It’s only natural, I think, to feel that way. This thing has effected every aspect of life, yet is hardly seen first hand by the vast majority of the population. At least that is the way it is in the rural area I live. Obviously it’s a topic of conversation with most everyone I speak to, and some days I speak to several hundred individuals a day. Until very recently, most folks in my area do not know a single person that has contracted or come in contact with anyone that has been infected the virus, yet it’s always on a persons mind.
I’ve closed our dining room at the store. We had just remodeled and have seating for 72. Completed around the end of February, just in time to close it due to Covid. We re-opened the dining room for a couple weeks before getting word that mom and dad were sick. They live 40 miles from me but yet I felt it was in everyone’s best interest to close the dining room to reduce exposure to staff and customers. Some of our customers are ticked off, and I don’t care. I’ve never claimed to be a good businessman. My goal is to to do what is best for the health of my help and family. To me, that means keeping people out of our personal space. With that said, I’ve spent a good bit of time at ballfields lately. In fact I watched Mason throw one heck of a good game tonight. (When he came out in the sixth we were up 12-2, both runs unearned). We won 12-8, I think. Lots of people at the game but I never felt uncomfortable by just maintaining distance from others as best I could. The reality, I believe, is we can only do our best by avoiding close indoor contact with others, wash your hands, and don’t touch your face... what else can you do aside from hiding in your home?
FWIW, mom and dad took these same precautions. Their infection occurred at church. They tried to avoid close contact and I think they were all wearing masks. I’ll check on that because I’m not certain. Regardless, they contracted it. Their faith is such that if they had died from this thing, I’m certain they would have deemed it a fair death at the end of a life well lived. There is nothing more important to them than their relationship with God and part of that is attending if the church doors are open. As soon as the doors reopen, they will be in church again. There were 23 others that contracted the virus that Sunday. None of the others were as seriously effected

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don’t know what to think about it. If it were not for the experience of my Mom, Dad and brother, I’d think this entire thing is blown out of proportion. It’s only natural, I think, to feel that way. This thing has effected every aspect of life, yet is hardly seen first hand by the vast majority of the population. At least that is the way it is in the rural area I live. Obviously it’s a topic of conversation with most everyone I speak to, and some days I speak to several hundred individuals a day. Until very recently, most folks in my area do not know a single person that has contracted or come in contact with anyone that has been infected the virus, yet it’s always on a persons mind.
I’ve closed our dining room at the store. We had just remodeled and have seating for 72. Completed around the end of February, just in time to close it due to Covid. We re-opened the dining room for a couple weeks before getting word that mom and dad were sick. They live 40 miles from me but yet I felt it was in everyone’s best interest to close the dining room to reduce exposure to staff and customers. Some of our customers are ticked off, and I don’t care. I’ve never claimed to be a good businessman. My goal is to to do what is best for the health of my help and family. To me, that means keeping people out of our personal space. With that said, I’ve spent a good bit of time at ballfields lately. In fact I watched Mason throw one heck of a good game tonight. (When he came out in the sixth we were up 12-2, both runs unearned). We won 12-8, I think. Lots of people at the game but I never felt uncomfortable by just maintaining distance from others as best I could. The reality, I believe, is we can only do our best by avoiding close indoor contact with others, wash your hands, and don’t touch your face... what else can you do aside from hiding in your home?
FWIW, mom and dad took these same precautions. Their infection occurred at church. They tried to avoid close contact and I think they were all wearing masks. I’ll check on that because I’m not certain. Regardless, they contracted it. Their faith is such that if they had died from this thing, I’m certain they would have deemed it a fair death at the end of a life well lived. There is nothing more important to them than their relationship with God and part of that is attending if the church doors are open. As soon as the doors reopen, they will be in church again. There were 23 others that contracted the virus that Sunday. None of the others were as seriously effected

Crazy man. Good on you for doing what you can. That's all any of us can do really. Do you know if the others were of similar age? I wonder what the difference was.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Brock, means a lot, thank you. You are the only person I know that has family that was seriously impacted and as I said, your family is on my mind everyday. I am so very glad that all of them are on the mend.

I know people who have tested positive and thankfully they were either asymptomatic or only had a couple small symptoms no different than a cold, but it is so weird the larger impact to us all for something to affects a relatively small portion of the population, it seems. Man, if everyone at our parents church had on masks....wtf.

I don't know what to think but I do appreciate the perspective and folks in your area should respect you for making a very tough business decision that will only help the community.

Thank you for the update Brock. As for your restaurant and how you are handling everything I'd say you are doing it right, employees and family come first. Handling cups, plates and silverware after people have been there eating just is a way to guarantee at some point someone on your staff would get it. Then what, your restaurant would never recover from the stigma of having the virus present. We are so glad your parents are doing better after all of this. It definitely tugs at the heartstrings of anyone who has older parents and the struggles of keeping them healthy this year.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Glad to hear the parents and brother are doing well Brock.

Guy at work is 65 and just lost his dad, age 88. Someone brought covid to the viewing, and now, he and his wife have covid, both his daughters, as well as his 87 year old mother. His mother is on a ventilator now, and they have reduced oxygen from 100% to 50%, but she's still not doing well. Going to try to give her the antibodies to try and fight it off. As for my coworker and the rest of his family, they have had pretty mild symptoms, biggest being fatigue. Hoping they all recover quickly. I can't imagine losing one parent, and then another right after due to the covid.

At first, I wasn't real good about wearing a mask in public, but when something like the above happens, it makes you reassess your way of thinking. Stay safe my brothers.