Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's '21-22 Pics

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Someone is staking a claim...

7aa8ad94-80e0-4cd7-a92a-c5b74ff5cee7.jpg
14e68b4b-9251-4f41-ba13-8f4ee9f68de1.jpg
bbdf255f-79a7-4336-800e-182511374950.jpg

And someone, as always, is less impressive after he shed. The buck posturing above is on the right. The nice 10 on the left solidified my opinion that the adults in the neighborhood, need to let him walk. I'm going to talk to the other hunters and see what the consensus is, but he could be something special. He's currently #3 on the hierarchy back there, so what will he be if he gets to be #1?!?

ddb16744-5fa5-4416-b947-cc29903c4411.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Came home on Sunday and my neighbor's son was loading sticks and stands that I assume they'd just pulled from the woods and BOOM, all those bucks that were coming in daily, gone like farts in the wind. Add in the turning of the beans and acorns hitting, and it was a perfect storm. This kind of real-time feedback is why I really like the cell cams. I suspected this outcome and got to see it unfold in the matter of a couple days, rather than find out in 2 weeks. I know I need to stay out of my woods this weekend and give them some space for a while. They'll be back 👍

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's crazy to see the difference in my two properties. My house was on fire all summer with a collection of good bucks. Velvet comes off and the acorns start to drop, and they vanish. That's on 11 acres of "semi-suburban" ground. Our farm is 80 acres of classic Midwest farm country. Not a buck one on camera since January. First day of fall arrives, in blows a cold front, and look who shows up. I need to look back at last year's pics, but I think this buck is older and potentially a shooter. I told myself I was holding out for a legit 140+ for the next season or two, but if this guy is mature, that might not happen.

87f682a4-3b89-4844-8f7a-0be31d3b3882.jpg

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
It's crazy to see the difference in my two properties. My house was on fire all summer with a collection of good bucks. Velvet comes off and the acorns start to drop, and they vanish. That's on 11 acres of "semi-suburban" ground. Our farm is 80 acres of classic Midwest farm country. Not a buck one on camera since January. First day of fall arrives, in blows a cold front, and look who shows up. I need to look back at last year's pics, but I think this buck is older and potentially a shooter. I told myself I was holding out for a legit 140+ for the next season or two, but if this guy is mature, that might not happen.

View attachment 135964
i'd say atleast 4 1/2 , won't score but he's cool looking. I say a 140 or better every year sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't lol. the older i get and the less time i have to hunt i feel like i'm starting to shift more toward the "mature" age vs. score.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Pulled cards today, moved a few, and added a few. Only one decent buck on cam and he was hauling ass!

IMG_0081-1.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG

This old boy didn't get the memo that grapevine scrapes are for deer.

IMG_0089.JPG

Lots of consistent doe movement along the shelves and in the Pond Holler. This is the current cam setup. Blue cams are cell cams. All cams are over scrapes that are either along travel routes or the edges of food. The only exception is the one furthest S, which is mostly for security purposes, but it does capture a bunch of animal movement, deer included. I'll let them soak until we get some rain around the 20th or so and hopefully there'll be more buck action next time. Meanwhile, the cell cams will keep me informed on things in their locale. The 2 to the N are on scrapes and are in areas where I've seen things "heat up" historically over the years. As a farm that doesn't hold bucks, these cams will alert me to the increase of fresh faces in real-time and I can plan hunts around that. The one to the S is in the Corner Pocket over a scrape and the inside corner of that food plot. Feels good to be in the game!

Screenshot_20211001-150611_onX Hunt.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I need to look back at last year's pics, but I think this buck is older and potentially a shooter. I told myself I was holding out for a legit 140+ for the next season or two, but if this guy is mature, that might not happen.

View attachment 135964
This does appear to be a new buck and I'm leaning towards him being "old enough" at this point. He wasn't on the other cell cam that's 250 yards west of here, so he either came out of the bottom or from the bean field on the ridge. Given how sporadic his pattern is, I'd say he's a resident deer of the neighboring farm. It's also interesting that he's walked by that scrape twice and hasn't touched it.

5c51d43a-cdf3-447f-b9cb-520dcce6f109.jpg

5c51d43a-cdf3-447f-b9cb-520dcce6f109.jpg

This does appear to be a new buck and I'm leaning towards him being "old enough" at this point. He wasn't on the other cell cam that's 250 yards west of here, so he either came out of the bottom or from the bean field on the ridge. Given how sporadic his pattern is, I'd say he's a resident deer of the neighboring farm. It's also interesting that he's walked by that scrape twice and hasn't touched it.

View attachment 136698

View attachment 136699

Would say there is definitely a more dominant buck in the neighborhood then if that is the case?

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Would say there is definitely a more dominant buck in the neighborhood then if that is the case?
If so, I'm patiently awaiting his presence. The does are working the scrapes periodically and some young bucks hit it on Friday before the rain, so I know it's getting the attention of some deer. Historically, that's the most reliable scrape on the farm and it's only a matter of time until a good buck gets his pic taken here.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
It's almost as if he knows a more dominant animal is using it by the way he's looking at it. You'd think he'd at least have a quick sniff of the branch or scrape.

Reactions: Isaacorps

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's almost as if he knows a more dominant animal is using it by the way he's looking at it. You'd think he'd at least have a quick sniff of the branch or scrape.
Well, the combo of James Valley Scents Wallhanger Gel and Black Widow Branch Butter surely caught his nose given that he came from downwind, but I'd say the healthy piss I took in there on Friday scared him more than anything 😂