Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO 2011 Golf Thread

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Last night I was killing it!......I was at 35 going into hole 8.....Then I freaking blew up to no end.....shot a 10 on 8, then an 8 on 9.....I was so mad..

I was working on the best round of the summer so far and just fell apart! I couldnt believe it!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well, it finally happened today! Shot a 83 on the first 18 at Golf Club of WV, then followed that up with a 78 on the same course. My buddy showed me what I was doing wrong on my drives and I flat crushed it today. I hit 3 drives over 300 today and had one that finished around 360 on the roll. Feels great to be playing better!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Got a call from my cousin this morning, he had two guys back out on him for his work golf outing Saturday morning. My brother and I are going to fill in. Should be pretty interesting, I haven't swung a club all year and only played 4 or 5 times last year.

I'm not excepting to go shoot the lights out, but since it's a 4 man scramble, i hope to at least throw in a few good shots here and there. If nothing else, I'm going to try to set the course record for most beers drank in an 18 hole round! :pickle:

Well day went pretty well Saturday. We ended up shooting 8 under par for 3rd place out of 18 in the tournament. Beers were cracked at 8AM and we had a blast. It was a little slow and pretty damn hot out, but can't complain about a Saturday out on the course with family and friends. We ended up taking one skin for 40 foot birdie putt on a par 3 that paid us 60 bucks. I invested by 15 dollars wisely and bought a round of cold ones! :pickle:

I was smashing my driver and putting well, but my irons could use a little work. Unfortunately, I doubt I will get out much more this year, possibly one more outing later in the year.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Heading out for the first time of the year tomorrow. Our employee candy fund is paying for us. There will only be 4 of us, and I'm pretty sure the rest of them suck worse than me. I'm just hoping to stay under 100 for the round of 18

twireman

Kingston, OH
Only been out twice this year. Shot 43 on nine and a 85 on 18. Playing Snow Hill in New Vienna this weekend. First time going there. All the family say it's nice.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I got out yesterday after work and played 18 holes. Had 3 bogeys, 2 birdies and 13 pars for a 73. Hit the ball well off the tee and made some nice par putts. Only my 5th time out this year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
Oxbow - 54
Lakeside - 36
Golf Club - 18
Worthington - 9
Woodridge Plantation - 18

Played another 18 at Oxbow last night and shot an 84. Shot 41 on the front and 43 on the back. I played alright and certainly could have played to the point of shooting 79-80. My shot game was on fire yesterday, but I lost some of the fire in my drive that I had last week. Hitting up for 9 more tonight with hopes of shooting a sub 40 round on the front at Oxbow...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I went out for 18 at Briar Hill (North Baltimore) on Saturday with my Nephew. He's really good. He hits from the Pro tee box and is usually well under par anywhere he plays. The front 9 was usual for me. A monster slice no matter what club but I usually putt OK. Finally after cussing so much after the first 9, he forced me to listen to him. He adjusted my stance a bit my grip on the club and told me to swing a little harder than half strength. Honestly, I was going from aiming 50 yards left and still hitting well right to actually aiming dead center and killing it center cut every time. I shot a 55 front nine and a 45 back nine. I had more fun that back 9 than I ever had golfing. The last 2 holes he had me swinging just under full strength and I was getting around 280 with the roll. Then Wednesday I met up with him and 2 others for 9 at McComb. I finished with a 48. I did have 3 birdies and 3 pars but duffed a few iron shots leading me to a couple 8's and a 7. If I could just keep my damn head down everytime. I just need to work on my iron play past 75 yards. It's wierd to now have something occupying my mind other than the woods or water. I can't wait to get out again

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I'm having a heck of a time right now...Im averaging 55 every week. I start out playing par/bogey golf and then blow up...I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Nothing is coming together the whole 9. One day i'll be kiling my drives 280-290, then cant chip or putt to save my life. Then the next time I will be spraying the ball everywhere off the tee box and can recover/putt likea champ. Then I will get to the last 2-3 holes and just explode...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
Oxbow - 63
Lakeside - 36
Golf Club - 18
Worthington - 9

Played another 9 at Oxbow earlier this week and played alright. I'm starting to find my drive more consistently, so that will make a big improvement in my game. My 9 hole average is getting back to the 41-43 range which I can live with for now...

Diablo54

Outside
Played 5 times total so far.

49 48 46 49 and a 48 this evening. Im playing like crap. A quick trip to the range will help. Short game is killing me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
OU - 9
Oxbow - 63
Lakeside - 36
Golf Club - 18
Worthington - 9

Played an ugly 9 on OU's course yesterday and shot a 44. Still bogey golf, but it was a round saved by 4 straight pars to close the round. I'm playing 18 at Dogwood Hills in PA this Saturday. I'm excited to play a new course...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Shot twice last week, and once so far this week. I am really starting to come around on my game. The improvements this year have been astounding. I've been hitting my driver straighter and straighter, but still having a fade in my long irons. I lock my fingers when I hit my irons, but do not on my drives, so Monday I decided to try the driver grip on my irons. Man, it made all the difference in the world. I hit 95% of my iron shots straight, and I hit them all consistent. Wasn't topping the ball, or getting to far underneath them. I figure if Monday wasn't a coincidence, I can continue using the same grip, and it will help me with both my drives and irons. It was pretty amazing, as I was even able to hit my Hybrid Three 225y three times yesterday. Also switched my grip up because my putting was lacking with the new putter, and it made a world of a difference. I sank a 25ft birdie putt yesterday, as well as a 15ft par put to save even par on the back nine @ GCWV for our two man best ball scramble.

Gonna play Friday morning after I get off work, then again Sunday. Have a benefit scramble next Saturday, so I'll probably play the day before also. Hope my game continues to improve.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
OU - 9
Oxbow - 81
Lakeside - 36
Riverside - 18
Golf Club - 54
Worthington - 9

Been playing a good bit lately, getting in 63 holes in the last week. My last four rounds of 18 have been 78, 83, 82, 80. Played 18 at Riverside in Sardis on the way home yesterday and shot the 80. Had one double, seven bogeys, one birdie, and 9 pars. I was 6 over on the front and two over on the back. I'm consistently driving the ball 280-310 right now, but I'm still spraying and praying for the most part. My short game and putting have been fantastic this summer. (In regards to my abilities that is...) I have only had two three putts in the past four rounds and yesterday, I left 4 chips from 15-35 yards within a foot of the hole. I picked up a 60 degree wedge and I'm really getting a feel for it. Playing another 18 this Sunday in a scramble. Should be a good time...