Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO 2011 Golf Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
Oxbow - 9
Golf Club - 18

Well, at this point I know exactly what I figured I would know about my golf game: I'm somewhere between bogey golf and double-bogey golf, and no where near where I'd like to be! It is particularly frustrating because I'm striking the ball well probably 70-80% of the time, but I'm making TOO many mental mistakes and when it goes bad, it goes BAD! My putting is still the strongest part of my game, which saves me from scoring worse than I would!

Last Thursday, I dropped a 47 on the front at Oxbow. The good was that I played the entire 9 holes with the same two balls. The bad was the mental mistakes and the rust on the game. Sunday, we played 18 at the Golf Club of WV and it was equal parts good and bad. I shot a 47 on the front and a 48 on the back, neither are any where near where I want to be. My biggest issue right now is the left to right fade in my drives and long irons. It's not what I would term a slice because it travels 60-70% of the distance straight as an arrow, then it's like someone turned on the gale force winds and the ball fades right. It's going to take some range time to sort it out that's for sure.

The goal for the end of the year is to keep my rounds in the <45/90 range, or play bogey golf at worst. If I'm playing bad and shooting bogey golf, I can live with that. I know there's an 80 in my game some where, I just have to work to find it...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jesse, try to focus on turning your wrists over sooner through the swing... that should help to reduce that fade... maybe even put a nice draw into your drives.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Another cure for the fade is to roll that bottom hand counter clockwise a bit. Take what's called a strong grip. If you do that and then take a nice slow mo swing you will see the club face square on contact. It may take a few tries to see how far to rotate that bottom hand in the grip but once you find it you will see results. If you roll under too far you will hook bad. Not enough and you will still cut. Right on the money and look out! It works on irons as well. I take the same grip in everything.

I had the same problem with the fade. Couldn't turn those wrists over to save my life. I think it was the old baseball swing. I never rolled the wrists too soon so I could hit drives in gaps.
Switching my grip was a life saver and added power as well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another cure for the fade is to roll that bottom hand counter clockwise a bit. Take what's called a strong grip. If you do that and then take a nice slow mo swing you will see the club face square on contact. It may take a few tries to see how far to rotate that bottom hand in the grip but once you find it you will see results. If you roll under too far you will hook bad. Not enough and you will still cut. Right on the money and look out! It works on irons as well. I take the same grip in everything.

I had the same problem with the fade. Couldn't turn those wrists over to save my life. I think it was the ok'd baseball swing. I never rolled the wrists too soon so I could hit drives in gaps.
Switching my grip was a life saver and added power as well.

I can attest to this grip as it has helped my swing as well. It doesn't feel all that comfortable at first, but once you get it right and get used to it, your shot consistency should get a lot better.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll have to fool around a little. It's definitely something I think is correctable with some practice given how I've actually been striking the ball. I have a solid understanding of how far I can hit my clubs, so I generally have good distance with irons and such. It's just that dang fade! One things for sure, I can't golf without wanting to dick with something in my swing!!! LOL!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
So many tweaks you can do... left foot a little further in front of the other would allow your hands to move through faster. It could also be your club face opening to soon, so you could try moving the ball back in your stance a little so you may contact while your face is a little more closed.

I used to hit 200-300 balls daily when I played in HS and College, I would start playing around with my grip and swing, I always enjoyed trying to "shape" the ball around trees and lower trajectory to play the winds

Buckmaster

Portage
I always enjoyed trying to "shape" the ball around trees and lower trajectory to play the winds

I loved that power too, one swing its a draw providing top spin to aid distance....the next shot a slight fade into the pin placement on the green.

Oh, I practiced duck hooks with the driver and cut lobs with the pitching wedge.

I definitely couldn't do all that now.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I loved that power too, one swing its a draw providing top spin to aid distance....the next shot a slight fade into the pin placement on the green.

Oh, I practiced duck hooks with the driver and cut lobs with the pitching wedge.

I definitely couldn't do all that now.

No doubt, I go out now and my ball is drawing and fading and it's not by choice!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
Oxbow - 9
Lakeside - 9
Golf Club - 18

Played a quick 9 with my buddy last night before hitting the range. I have definitely sorted a few things out! I shot a 43, which still sucks, but it was a good round for me with the exception of two holes. I had birdie yesterday that was the kind that keeps you coming back. I was 170 out and under a tree, so I grabbed the hybrid and set the ball back in my stance to punch it out from under the tree. I left it pin high and 2' off the green, then sank the 22' foot putt from the fringe! I sank two more 15' plus putts and had 2 pars to go with the birdie. Overall, I was pretty happy with how I played...

I spent over an hour at the range after that working on a few things and I think I've made some corrections that will help. I'm striking the ball as well as I could hope right now and my putting has been lights out. Sooner or later, I'm gonna break my best of 81!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
Oxbow - 9
Lakeside - 9
Golf Club - 18
Worthington - 9

Played 9 with a buddy last week on a course that is just raping people right now! Last year, it was $10.50 for 9 and a cart; this year it is $18.50! The course was in horrendous shape. They had top dressed the greens and it was like putting on a parking lot at the beach with all the sand and lack of grass. It was cart path only (they charge $6 per 9 for a cart now) and the course was a giant mud puddle. I was pissed to say the least! I shot a 43 and know damn well it could have been a 39-40 when the course was in good shape. I shot my best round ever here last year with a 81, so it plays to my strengths. I missed 4-5 makable putts that literally bounced around like they had epilepsy!

I just ordered 36 AAA mint reconditioned used Nike One Black balls off eBay for $30 shipped. At $40-50 a dozen, I think I got a good deal! I have to play with a higher end ball because my clubs eat up cheap golf balls. I usually play with the Nike NDX Distance balls, but couldn't turn down a deal on their best ball at that price!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
sounds like your getting it all together jesse, i have only golfed twice and last week i shot a 47, had a bad start. should have easily been a low 40's. The course we play league on is super wet cause its clay based and the water just sits on it. and you can forget about getting under the ball at all.

Tonight is league night again so we will seee if I can improve. I should be shooitng low 40s consistently this summer no problem...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
Oxbow - 27
Lakeside - 18
Golf Club - 18
Worthington - 9
Woodridge Plantation - 18

My good, is really good right now. My bad, is really bad. And there is no in between! I'm shooting 45 consistently on 9 with some seriously shitty play that is killing the brighter moments. They only bright spot is my putter. I've made 5 20+ putts and lipped out a 50' putt in the last 36 holes. I gotta learn how to make the bad, less bad or it's never going to get better!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Don't have time to dig up the video right now but you have to go to you tube and watch History of Golf by Robin Williams... pretty funny stuff!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Don't have time to dig up the video right now but you have to go to you tube and watch History of Golf by Robin Williams... pretty funny stuff!

It's from his Live on Broadway. That is without a doubt, the funniest set of comedy I have ever seen. Especially when you know he had a list of 12 topics that he took on stage, then winged the entire set. Unfuckingreal...

[video=youtube;pcnFbCCgTo4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4[/video]

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Got a call from my cousin this morning, he had two guys back out on him for his work golf outing Saturday morning. My brother and I are going to fill in. Should be pretty interesting, I haven't swung a club all year and only played 4 or 5 times last year.

I'm not excepting to go shoot the lights out, but since it's a 4 man scramble, i hope to at least throw in a few good shots here and there. If nothing else, I'm going to try to set the course record for most beers drank in an 18 hole round! :pickle:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
2011 Golf Totals
Oxbow - 36
Lakeside - 36
Golf Club - 18
Worthington - 9
Woodridge Plantation - 18

Played 18 at Lakeside this Sunday and played like I have been the past few months. Played 9 last night at Oxbow and played like ass, although there was a break through at the end of the round and I finished par, bogey, par, bogey, which I can live with. If this new follow-through is going to correct my drives, I'm looking at getting back to being a sub-bogey golfer. I'm lights out from 75-150 out and putting, so it's up to the driver and the short game to keep me alive!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've golfed 7 full rounds so far this year. Bought all new clubs over the course of the last three months, so I don't have to borrow a set anymore. Finally starting to get my drive under control and I love the new irons. I am not a good golfer at all, but I can feel and see the gradual improvements this year. My goal starting this season was to golf a round under 100, and I have been very close three times now. I fully expect to be averaging 95 by the time bow season rolls around. I just gotta figure out this putter.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have my second round coming up this weekend. Every year, my dad, brother and I all go out and play a round together for Father's Day. I have too much going on in the next couple of weeks, so we've decided to bump it up a bit on the calendar this year. It's going to work out great, though. It just so happens that my home course has a scramble tourney this weekend, so we've got a tee time for Saturday morning... shotgun start 8:00 a.m.!