Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrels

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Those pics of the youngins are priceless. I am SOO glad to see kids involved in hunting small game, instead of just going straight to deer or turkey, as seems to be the trend anymore. I grew up on squirrels, rabbits and pheasants and they shaped me into the hunter I am today. It scares me to think of all the lessons I wouldn't have learned had I only hunted deer as a boy.

I am going out to P.C tomorrow morning to see if any squirrels are still around. Then in the afternoon we are grilling dove and squirrel. Oh how I love this exact time of year before the stress of deer season comes in......really brings back to me the true values of hunting and that special feeling in my heart.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Those pics of the youngins are priceless. I am SOO glad to see kids involved in hunting small game, instead of just going straight to deer or turkey, as seems to be the trend anymore. I grew up on squirrels, rabbits and pheasants and they shaped me into the hunter I am today. It scares me to think of all the lessons I wouldn't have learned had I only hunted deer as a boy.

I am going out to P.C tomorrow morning to see if any squirrels are still around. Then in the afternoon we are grilling dove and squirrel. Oh how I love this exact time of year before the stress of deer season comes in......really brings back to me the true values of hunting and that special feeling in my heart.

Great post Seth! Couldn't have said it any better...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Good post, Seth! Mason abandoned me to hunt with his Grandpa today. So, I called his best friend last night and am taking him this morning. :). Watching these kids get excited to hunt is a blast and does renew my interest in hunting. We may see you at PC if you're around Centerfied. Not sure where we're going just yet.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Two

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378566335811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378566335811.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 114

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Five, but we used shotguns. Young Noah had a ball!

Nice shooting, Mike!

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here is Noah with his first of the morning. I think it was his third squirrel of his young life! Mason and his Grandpa did not have any luck this morning. He couldn't believe I took his best friend hunting without him. :)

Attachments

• 0907130822-00.jpg
    0907130822-00.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 125

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Great updates, Mike and Brock.
I took my daughter, Mattie this morning. We got one with the .22 and I was able to find some ginseng. I like to teach her about wild plants and tree indentification while we are squirrel hunting. I was so proud of her for not whining or complaining. We hunted for 4 hours and she and I had a blast.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Congrats all!! You fared better in the woods then me this morning, seeing as i didn't go!! I got sucked into sleeping in by the warm body laying next to me. I will be out there for sure tomorrow though. I see myself doing a lot of squirrel hunting this year up until the end of October. I am only hunting bucks locally this year, and just never have much luck for mature bucks early season bowhunting on any spots I have. Plus, I have WAY more fun hunting squirrel!! Getting ready to warm the grill up in about an hour.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great updates, Mike and Brock.
I took my daughter, Mattie this morning. We got one with the .22 and I was able to find some ginseng. I like to teach her about wild plants and tree indentification while we are squirrel hunting. I was so proud of her for not whining or complaining. We hunted for 4 hours and she and I had a blast.

Sounds like a great trip to the woods, Ron!

I'm thinking seriously about going in the morning again as I found a stew recipe I might like to try. Then again, I haven't fished all week, so I may have to do some of that. :) Tough time of year!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Sounds like a great trip to the woods, Ron!

I'm thinking seriously about going in the morning again as I found a stew recipe I might like to try. Then again, I haven't fished all week, so I may have to do some of that. :) Tough time of year!

Horrible decision to have to make there Brock. I am letting the dogs out and then I am gone. I will be on Ross county side.

00buck

will be headed out next weekend in Delaware wildlife area weather permitting of course any tips my buddy trys to walk all the time and he never looks up alway looks for deer sign

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Took 3 greys this morning with the .22. They were very skiddish. Probably been blasted at a few times already. Fella down the ridge shot 6 or 7 times with what sounded like a 12 gauge. Found a spot I really wanna float and fish.. I don't know what they were, but something was going crazy under the surface of the water.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
As far as tips this time of year 00buck, use your ears more then anything. And my goodness, stay out of the stinging needle. My legs and wrists are still tingling

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
will be headed out next weekend in Delaware wildlife area weather permitting of course any tips my buddy trys to walk all the time and he never looks up alway looks for deer sign

I'll probably be at delaware myself next weekend. Want to hit the range and make sure the muzzy's are GTG for the strouds hunt. Might just walk with the .22 lookin for some tree rats after that.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

1. Go the opposite way your buddy does. 2. Find hickory trees. They are hammering them right now. The difficulty is in being able to see high enough in the trees due to foliage right now.

Nice report, Seth. I slept in. We are either going to fish or check the dove fields this afternoon. I'm leaning towards fishing as I suspect the doves have given up on the public fields by now.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Brock, I don't get very excited to hunt the dove fields after the first several days, as they seem to get shot out pretty fast. I may check on them in a couple weeks though after they have been left alone for a while. I really wish I knew who some of the farmers are around here who have shelled corn already, because those fields are loaded. If you put your mojo out there you would get a quick limit. I ate my 45 bird possession last night so I am ready to start again, lol.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I won't have TOO far to go to get a mess of treerats...lmao

Seriously though, I prolly should use my FIL's air rifle and thin them out some but it wouldn't be like hunting and I do enjoy watching them plus they do clean up some of the fallen nuts and hulls in my yards. I bet we have 2-3 dozen squirrels living in the 3 acres of hardwood behind our house.

00buck

I'll probably be at delaware myself next weekend. Want to hit the range and make sure the muzzy's are GTG for the strouds hunt. Might just walk with the .22 lookin for some tree rats after that.

maybe i will see you there are you going to archery range should be there early in the am