Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrels

Jamie

Ohio
I have two shag bark hickory trees in my backyard that are heavy with fruit. I usually see a dozen or more squirrels at a time either running too or in the trees. Well this morning my lab Lou-Lou was watching something very intently in one of the trees. It was a white squirrel sitting next too a solid red one. Now in SC we have grey squirrels and white/black or black fox squirrels, so anything other than that is pretty new to me. Really looking forward to the season now! My taxidermist buddy will hopefully be getting a call.

those southern "fox" squirrels are the coolest looking squirrels in the world and are the size of a small groundhog. giant compared to even the fattest Delaware county boar fox squirrels. we never shoot them anymore, though, as the popular consensus is that their populations are in decline in SC, at least where I've hunted. palmetto, do know anything about your fox squirrels numbers being in decline?

I saw some tassel eared squirrels in New Mexico a few year ago on an elk hunt that were pretty cool looking, too.

I can't quote numbers or studies but I can speak from experience. They are very concentrated in certain areas. I've seen solid black to the masked and even light grey. But all are focused to concentrations of oak trees mostly in coastal areas. I have enjoyed watching them more so than taking one. But again I couldn't quote numbers.

I always enjoy seeing the different squirrels when I travel. I have some friends in northern NM near Chama that have told me of the tufted ear squirrels.

Jamie

Ohio
the place I've hunted in SC is right on the Savannah river, near Allendale. plenty of oaks on the property, and there is a boatload of grey squirrels there. skittish little things, and a little smaller than our greys up here, but very tasty. :)

Jamie

Ohio
yes, there is something very appealing about those SC swamps. hoping I can get back down there this fall or late winter.

After growing up in Charleston, I was ready to move on. It's a great place to visit and there are things I miss, but I've always had the mindset that each place I go has its own unique beauty and I'm still young (25) and want to take much more in before I try and settle. It's one of the reasons I accepted a 16 state sales territory. I like to travel and it gives me the opportunity.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I just picked up a new scope for the 10/22 its the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 rimfire version.

I need to get it sighted in, but otherwise I can't wait.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll probably take the Benelli with 6's and a mid-range choke if I walk. My other thought was to sit in the blind and take the .17 so I could snipe a few. We shall see. Either way, Sunday morning my ass will be killing squirrels or geese...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Supposed to be 90 degrees here Sunday. Not sure if I will sweat it out on Sunday or wait for hopefully a cool down next week to try to get a couple. Squirrel, taters, carrots, and onions sure sound pretty good though!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's supposed to cool down Monday, but Sunday is opening day. I think we will go in the morning for a bit, then shoot doves in the afternoon. Then again, my kids are out of school all next week, so maybe we should fish Sunday instead. :) Tough decisions...

Jamie

Ohio
back when I first started hunting, squirrel season always started on Thursday or something for reasons unbeknownst to me. my b-day is September 11 and my folks would let me skip school and go squirrel hunting on the first day and it was on my birthday a few times. when you're 12, that kicks ass!!!

I'm not real excited to run out and shoot squirrels when it's 85*, but always happy when I can go out a start killing dinner again. :smiley_coolpeace: come November, it's on.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You'd spend more energy carrying water for your hound in this heat than you would carrying carcasses. :) It used to come in the last part of August it seems. I remember we would start school, and then a week or so later squirrel season came in. I couldn't wait to hop off the bus and go shoot 'em. There was nothing better.

Jamie

Ohio
we came close several times, but Lefty and I only bagged our limit of 6 one time last season. because I suck, I could only manage 5 head shots. still, a momentous occasion for the both of us. please note the look of apparent disbelief on both of our faces. :smile:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ha! Is that disbelief, or completely wore out? Either way, it looks like canned squirrel that was well-earned!