Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Possible pipeline through our land

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Generally they just want you to build outside of the ROW . Thats all they have any say in is the ROW . Most of ours are 50 ft wide . We often have people building right against our ROW and there ain't much we can do . Modern pipeline contain so much technology you would be amazed . I'd be more concerned about the power to your house than the pipeline thru your land from a safety perspective.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We were told there is a 800 ft. blast area around the pipe. The neighbor has 2 pipelines within feet of his house.
If you are home and the pipe blows you will not even know it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Generally they just want you to build outside of the ROW . Thats all they have any say in is the ROW . Most of ours are 50 ft wide . We often have people building right against our ROW and there ain't much we can do . Modern pipeline contain so much technology you would be amazed . I'd be more concerned about the power to your house than the pipeline thru your land from a safety perspective.

Correct as our ROW's are 50 ft. wide. Can't put a driveway across the ROW without a OK and can't plant any deep rooted trees on the ROW. Everything else is OK.

Buckmaster

Portage
IF they build it and IF they do avoid your land, you'll still live near it because you don't just bob & weave a 42" pipeline. Just something to consider.

Our area gas company was looking at running a line through our property, all looked good until they required some kind of 90 degree pipe fitting which soured their intent with a re-route. They claim the fitting was something like almost a million dollars. Sounds like they are looking for the straight shot easiest route.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Correct as our ROW's are 50 ft. wide. Can't put a driveway across the ROW without a OK and can't plant any deep rooted trees on the ROW. Everything else is OK.
Yep , no trees are allowed to be planted and as far as driveways gravel is ok but if ya want concrete then no rebar and it needs to be saw cut into 4x4 square so it can be removed with a hoe if needed .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep , no trees are allowed to be planted and as far as driveways gravel is ok but if ya want concrete then no rebar and it needs to be saw cut into 4x4 square so it can be removed with a hoe if needed .

So basically the least work possible, i.e. cost, for the company. If it needs to be removed will it be replaced? Will a temporary bridge be put in place for the duration of the removed driveway?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So basically the least work possible, i.e. cost, for the company. If it needs to be removed will it be replaced? Will a temporary bridge be put in place for the duration of the removed driveway?

Basically, screw the landowner and make it easy on the company. I've talked with two farmers so far who have dealt with gas and oil companies in the past and neither had anything good too say, going to speak with family friends tonight who own a farm that this line is proposed to pass through. On a good note, I might have scored hunting permission on a 205 acre farm from the last farmer I talked to. I left him my name and number so hopefully he calls me and gives me permission!

Huckleberry Finn

Those are all good questions to ask when negotiating a lease and provisions to add into a lease before signing. As someone I know says "Everything in a lease is negotiable".