Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

High Mileage Trucks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just got off the phone with them. They picked it up at an auction two weeks ago. Four previous owners, all in Ohio. One accident that required a front right quarter panel and headlight (deer) in 2013. It went through a post sale drive-train inspection at the auction and a "multi-point" inspection at the shop they use to service the vehicles they purchase. Their inspection includes the front end and other things not checked by the auction. I did some research on this dealer before calling and everything came back positive. I had a nice conversation with both guys I talked to. I had to laugh though, the last guy said: "If you like to barter, save your gas. Not trying to be rude, but for that price, it will sell and it's not worth your time or mine to bicker over a few hundred bucks". I just laughed. Told him I KBB'd the truck and they were on point with their price and I wasn't going to do that. Some of you guys like to barter and do that song and dance, not me. If it's a good deal, I'm ready to buy it and go about my way.

He's holding the truck for me. Should have my name on the title by 1PM. I really needed this. Helps with the cabin fever and frees me up to get some work done.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
See if they'll give you a 30 day bumper to bumper warranty Jesse.... Not doubting their inspection process but have heard too many horror stories of that being blown off and not done or done shabby too take them for their word....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just got off the phone with them. They picked it up at an auction two weeks ago. Four previous owners, all in Ohio. One accident that required a front right quarter panel and headlight (deer) in 2013. It went through a post sale drive-train inspection at the auction and a "multi-point" inspection at the shop they use to service the vehicles they purchase. Their inspection includes the front end and other things not checked by the auction. I did some research on this dealer before calling and everything came back positive. I had a nice conversation with both guys I talked to. I had to laugh though, the last guy said: "If you like to barter, save your gas. Not trying to be rude, but for that price, it will sell and it's not worth your time or mine to bicker over a few hundred bucks". I just laughed. Told him I KBB'd the truck and they were on point with their price and I wasn't going to do that. Some of you guys like to barter and do that song and dance, not me. If it's a good deal, I'm ready to buy it and go about my way.

He's holding the truck for me. Should have my name on the title by 1PM. I really needed this. Helps with the cabin fever and frees me up to get some work done.
I'm with you, man. I don't mind negotiating when it's necessary, but I know how to recognize a good deal and I don't fugg around much when I find one. Glad you found a nice truck so fast! That's got to be a big relief.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He said just last week, he told a guy the same thing who was driving 4 hours to get a truck. Said it was priced like the one I'm after. Dude drove the 4 hours and left empty handed over $100. WTF?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I still haggle, there's wiggle room on all of them, even if it's a hundred bucks lol.... Still a hundred I my pocket not theirs lol.....

My wife is brutal on them poor bastards lol.... I once got up and walked out cause she had me scared lmao.....

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Glad you found something that will work for you. I know that has to be a little bit of relief.

I tinker quite a bit on vehicles. I can say that every single manufacture and model has issues. Its just a matter of what the issues are. I am a GM fan part of that is because they seem to be the easiest to work on. Part of that though is because I am most familiar with them. Most all my buddies own GM and that is all that my wife and I own.

12 years ago I was a Ford guy all the way. I had not owned anything other than ford since I got out of high school until I got my Silverado 2500 Duramax.

Bottom line is buy whatever is going to make you happy. Research that model and see what the common issues are. If they are something you are willing to deal with go for it.

On my Silverado I knew the front end was the weak link. I went through hubs like they were a fuel filter. I upgraded the front end with heavy duty parts and stabilizers and since then the hubs last a lot longer. Matter of fact I haven't had to replace a hub since I upgraded the front end over 2 years ago. GM should have upgraded them in the beginning but that would cut into their profits.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just drove it. Only thing we can see if the Check Engine light was on. He scanned it so I could see it was the O2 sensor. Not sure I've owned a vehicle where that hasn't tripped the CE light. I'd rate it an 8.5 out of 10 for a truck of that age and mileage. It's been well cared for and someone along my lines of work drove it at one time. They had a can of marking paint leak in the back. LOL. Almost feel it's meant to be due to that! lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got him for a new set of tires and will fix the sensor myself. My buddy is a good mechanic and can do the work for a 12 pack. He's coming over later to run the scanner so we know which one (s) need replaced. They don't offer a warranty, but do sell service plans. I passed on that. I have good resources, if it needs something, I'll handle it then. My buddy who went with me is fairly mechanical. He said other than it being a Ford (GM guy) I think it's a good buy. Starts like a Ford, rides like one, 4x4 shifted smoothly. Overall, I'm happy with it. If I had time, might find a better deal for the same money. I needed something in the next 3 days or it was going to make life even more miserable.

HeartLunger

I bought my first truck this year. I beamed the whole way home from Jackson and for at least the next month. :)

Not sure if this is your first self-owned truck or not, but congratulations!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is my 4th vehicle, but first full size truck. Still miss my Jeep!

We pulled the code tonight and it had 2. One for an O2 sensor, the other for a fuel rail pressure sensor. Research indicates that because the truck is running fine, it is more likely I have a short in the fuel pump drive module as it is notorious for corrosion due to it's location. $65 part and I'll have it Wednesday. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes to replace. Ah, the pride of ownership and the joys of owning a used vehicle!

heelbilly

This is my 4th vehicle, but first full size truck. Still miss my Jeep!

We pulled the code tonight and it had 2. One for an O2 sensor, the other for a fuel rail pressure sensor. Research indicates that because the truck is running fine, it is more likely I have a short in the fuel pump drive module as it is notorious for corrosion due to it's location. $65 part and I'll have it Wednesday. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes to replace. Ah, the pride of ownership and the joys of owning a used vehicle!

The money you can save yourself by being able to diagnose/change parts yourself, or for a 12 pack is huge. I'd have got rid of my Powerstroke years ago if I had to take it to a mechanic everytime it needed a part changed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Note to self: Check for spare tire next time. :smiley_blackeye:

It appears the Fuel Pump Driver Module has already been replaced. I unplugged it and the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor today, as well as the battery to reset the computer. So far, the light has stayed off and other than one sluggish start today, I am not noticing anything unusual. I bought a can of Sea Foam to run through it. Hoping it was jus a connection, but won't hold my breath.

I did notice another noise today I would appreciate input on. When I'm under 15 mph, I notice a "click clack" noise. Seems to be coming from the front of the truck. It goes away (or you can't hear it) once you accelerate. I only notice it when I'm pulling in next to a vehicle that kicks the noise back to me. Any ideas?