Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guess the harvest number

Lundy

My number revised to 11,683 because of warm weather and 50% of gun hunters that either can't read or don't want to and don't even know this thing is happening

Huckleberry Finn

I was thinking about this earlier:

How will the early muzzleloader season affect the youth season?

I remember several youth hunts that I hunted or 1 in particular that I guided that once the slugs started flying, the deer just stood there without a clue since it had been several months since they had been shot at. And then of course by 8:30am of Monday of regular gun season, the deer keenly remember 2 weekends ago and run for the thickets. I wonder if this early muzzleloader will have some effect in a month when it's youth season. And back when muzzleloader season was the last week in Dec, once the first powder was touched off, no one saw a deer the rest of the 4 days.

(And perhaps there will be some dumb does that don't remember that gun shot sound and give someone a reload, even with a muzzleloader).

I know the exact number of deer that's going to be killed. :smiley_chinrub:

Ironically, it's the same number of deer that the ODNR wants killed. :smiley_deer:
...just like they do during the Deer Gun Season. You know what I'm talking about.

Bowhunter57

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I'm more worried about the effects on the deer rather than how many they shoot. I hope this doesn't screw up the rut to where they go nocturnal only.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm more worried about the effects on the deer rather than how many they shoot. I hope this doesn't screw up the rut to where they go nocturnal only.

Get a hot doe and that buck is moving regardless of time of day. If he catches the scent on the wind he will move and push her all over the place trying to get some lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
5,608 is the early word. Not officially posted yet.

Bigslam51 5932
Brock 6,000
Myself 6,200
OhioSam 6800

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'll take it! I think we've made a good trade for the bonus shotgun weekend. I hope it stays, or both go away in my area. I told Mike T that we do NOT need a doe only season up hear, but I'm afraid it fell on deaf ears.

Lundy

5,608 is the early word. Not officially posted yet.

Bigslam51 5932
Brock 6,000
Myself 6,200
OhioSam 6800

That is certainly lower than they hoped for. They will be disappointed, I think.

During the 2012 Bonus season there were 10,059 antlerless deer tagged, in 2011, 11,906 antlerless tagged. Of those antlerless deer tagged 1,849 were buttons in 2012 and 2,299 in 2011. That left 8,201 does in 2012 and 9,610 in 2011.

I am very interested to see if by having this new season so early in the year if it reduced the button harvest as a percentage of total harvest.

I'm guessing they would be very happy with a slightly reduced total harvest if they were primarily does and they realized a reduced the button harvest in the process.

Did anyone shoot any little buttons this weekend?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No button bucks killed this weekend. Noah's was a young doe, but if she had a brother he got away. I think all the other does I saw were full grown...really, nice does.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have seen fewer does this year in my areas. I am thinking about becoming a button buck killer to fill the freezer this year.