Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Guess the harvest number

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Best response yet in my opinion.

Wow, that is less than any normal bow hunting weekend

Biggest pot stirring guess yet in my opinion.

I will not be hunting this weekend. I am leery of hunting on Monday for fear of legally harvesting a buck and having fingers pointed at me. I think Schu is off. I don't believe there has been a lot of regulation reading. I suspect there will be a high amount of tickets given out to more casual hunters who shoot bucks with their bow and didn't read the regs closely. I believe there will be many who shoot them with muzzle loader and check in later. This whole weekend is a bad bad idea. The only winners will be the ODNR, Farm Bureau, and Insurance companies.

Lundy

Hickslawn,

I was only responding to a guess as to how many would be shot and lost. I didn't pot stir, I just responded to a pot stir:)

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I am leery of hunting on Monday for fear of legally harvesting a buck and having fingers pointed at me. [/QUOTE said:
If I am lucky enough to harvest a buck on Monday, believe me when I say I will take a photo of the deer with my cell phone showing date and time sitting on his carcass. I will take a ton of photos to cover my arse, maybe from the stand as well as my truck parked. Heck maybe a signed affidavit from the campgrounds I will be staying in...

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Hickslawn,

I was only responding to a guess as to how many would be shot and lost. I didn't pot stir, I just responded to a pot stir:)

Wow geeze sorry didn't mean to stir the pot.Too many wounded both bow and gun, happens to everyone occasionally. I think that is an honest statement for both sides. Doesn't even matter as that wasn't the point of the post, back to topic on guesses.

Huckleberry Finn

You guys are as dumb as the people that think that banning a 30 round clip will stop crime.

People that break the law break the law.

No one that shoots a buck this weekend will check it in on Monday. They will put it in the back of their truck, hang it in their shed, and butcher it. They will not think twice about calling some number to report their crime.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I agree that there will be people that break the law, those people normally would anyhow.

Problem is: Many an honest men have given into temptation. Sorry, but I don't agree with this early muzzy season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hickslawn,

As long as there are hunters (especially those who dust off the shotgun, bow, crossbow, muzzle loader, or pistol the night before) there will be lost deer. Even diligent hunters lose deer. Sorry if I took your post the wrong way.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've talked to several hunters over the weekend at the gunshow that didn't even know there was a ML doe season this weekend. They also didn't know if you bow hunted it was doe only with blaze orange on. I can see a lot of nieve hunters checking in deer this weekend and being ticketed. Serve them right. it's a dumb season form the start.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I've talked to several hunters over the weekend at the gunshow that didn't even know there was a ML doe season this weekend. They also didn't know if you bow hunted it was doe only with blaze orange on. I can see a lot of nieve hunters checking in deer this weekend and being ticketed. Serve them right. it's a dumb season form the start.

Got to raise funds one way or another. Not like all the gun and ammo money that has been paid out over the last few years didn't already help the budget but why stop there ;)

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I will be hunting with my bow, I wish I could boycott this weekend but I just can't due to working afternoons and not having much time TOO hunt. This early MZ season is a joke, it makes my blood boil everytime I read about this shit. My guess is 5932 due to crops still standing, warm weather, and pissed off bow hunters.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You guys can look on the bright side of this also. After regular shotgun season it takes the deer about two weeks to calm back down. So typically right when they calmed down here would come bonus gun to send the running to their holes again for another week. Between youth season, gun season, and bonus gun season there was about five weeks where the deer are just panicked. You're not going to have to deal with that anymore. After gun season it's over until muzzleloader. This gives almost the entire month of December and part of January to hunt. Don't forget this muzzleloader season is also taking place smack in the middle of what is usually called the October Lull. I don't believe this muzzleloader season is going to impact the deer very much at all in regards to skittishness. And I would rather have a week of skittish deer in October than two weeks of skittish deer in December when bowhunting his prime.