Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Garden Updates Thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First year for raised beds for us. First year we have had a garden produce like this one has. Also the first year using compost, and soaker hoses or irrigation versus regular sprinklers. Can't explain why we have had a better year, guess we were just due after a bunch of crappy gardens.

Feel free to jump in and share your experiences Elevenpointer. Never hurts to learn from someone else's success. You might have a nice pointer I can use next year. lol

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, it's always gratifying TOO me, when ever I use my produce out of the garden.

14 quarts of stewed tomatoes
18 quart bags of sweet corn
16 quarts of " kick ass" salsa
10 pints of hot pepper mustard

I really enjoy the fruits of my labor, and especially enjoy sharing it with family and friends.

Big H

Medina
The girls and I just got done making some fresh salsa from the garden. I had to go buy some cilantro and onions, but the rest was from our garden.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
The girls and I just got done making some fresh salsa from the garden. I had to go buy some cilantro and onions, but the rest was from our garden.

Awesome! Same here, but I didn't grow any garlic either. Salsa is so fun to make. I will enjoy it on the lazy boy with the Buckeyes on Saturdays.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
My dad and I put in our first garden this year, it turned out really well and we have had a blast keeping up with it.

Here is a pic of some cucumbers, red and yellow potatoes, and some yellow sweet onions.

Here is another harvest picture when the tomatoes just started coming on a few weeks ago.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Our best green bean pick this year, ended up getting 11 quarts out of this bucket:

We decided to learn how to can some of our vegetables this year, here is a picture showing some homemade dill, sweet, and bread and butter pickles, as well as our green beans.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Here is a picture of one of our tomato picks after they really started coming on good. Some other vegetables in the mix as well.

Here is the finished product put up for the winter. A few more green beans, homemade salsa, tomato juice, and some pasta sauce and chili base.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Impressive haul Drake! Are you overwhelmed at this point or are you going bigger next year?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Impressive haul Drake! Are you overwhelmed at this point or are you going bigger next year?

Thanks! Dad and I have split the work load, so weekends he is free he will do the canning or whatever and we've been splitting everything 50/50. So really not overwhelmed, but the last two Saturday we have spent 8 hours or so doing some sort of gardening, whether it be picking, juicing, or canning.

We are going to transplant a couple trees and come out another 10-12 feet wide, but that is just so we can have some more room between our plants. As you can see, at full growth our garden turned into a jungle!

The bare row was potatoes before we dug them, as you can see we could hardly get in between the rows of beans, and our two rows of tomatoes turned into one giant "patch" lol. Some more room to move around will really be helpful next year!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I remember seeing a picture earlier. This is why I was curious. Bigger is good if it is for more room to walk. Bigger can be bad if it means your every spare moment is spent canning or weeding. They are rewarding, but not without work.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I remember seeing a picture earlier. This is why I was curious. Bigger is good if it is for more room to walk. Bigger can be bad if it means your every spare moment is spent canning or weeding. They are rewarding, but not without work.

You got that right, we had enough vegetables this year for us, my parents, and my mother in law to put back plenty for the winter with beans and tomatoes still coming on. We also gave away buckets of cucumbers and sweet corn as well. I think we have the right amount planted, just need that extra space!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hear you on the cucumbers. We were cyook crazy! Gave them away to all sorts of people. Tough to give them all away we had so many.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I hear you on the cucumbers. We were cyook crazy! Gave them away to all sorts of people. Tough to give them all away we had so many.

Our cucumbers didn't do well at all. Had to buy them to make pickles. Zucchini came on strong and then died out fast. Have everything else in spades, tomatoes/peppers especially.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Anyone doing a fall garden? Im going to start mine soon. Im switching too all plastic covering for round 2. Last year i was lax on weeds and veggies that rotted and fell...have a lot of regrowth right now and soil bake. I hope covering will geet weeds down and moisture in...as well as disease spread..early blight whacked me this year..cucumbers did great but my peppers and tomatoes were horrible.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Anyone doing a fall garden? Im going to start mine soon. Im switching too all plastic covering for round 2. Last year i was lax on weeds and veggies that rotted and fell...have a lot of regrowth right now and soil bake. I hope covering will geet weeds down and moisture in...as well as disease spread..early blight whacked me this year..cucumbers did great but my peppers and tomatoes were horrible.

Never done it, honestly never heard of it but it has me interested!

We are actually planning to put down to wheat/rye/etc. mix for a cover crop to till under this spring.

Last edited: