Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Garden Updates Thread

epe

Lancaster
Had fried pumpkin blossoms yesterday, green tomatoes and stuffed jalapenos from the garden today. Yummy

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Finally got some time to reclaim the garden today with my wife. We started over from scratch this year since I had to use our garden area for some nasty clay/stone soil storage area over the winter. Been working compost into it as we get to it. Here is what it looked like today. Cucumbers picked and there are a ton more coming on. Peppers looking good but oddly just have little starts and no peppers picked yet. Tomatoes looking good as well with a bunch of them green but growing well. Erin took in some split peas and green beans today. Really need to get some of these growing upward. Haven't had time to mess with it and quite honestly didn't even know what she had planted.

Ricer2231

Finally got some time to reclaim the garden today with my wife. We started over from scratch this year since I had to use our garden area for some nasty clay/stone soil storage area over the winter. Been working compost into it as we get to it. Here is what it looked like today. Cucumbers picked and there are a ton more coming on. Peppers looking good but oddly just have little starts and no peppers picked yet. Tomatoes looking good as well with a bunch of them green but growing well. Erin took in some split peas and green beans today. Really need to get some of these growing upward. Haven't had time to mess with it and quite honestly didn't even know what she had planted.

Looking good Phil. I'm getting all kinds of cucumbers TOO. My peppers are the same way as yours just small ones that I don't think should be picked yet. This is my first year growing jalapenos and I don't know how big they should get to pick. With all this rain we have been getting my tomatoes and cucumber vines have gone crazy! Still waiting in the first tomato to ripen though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374353356.126258.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374353376.429196.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374353404.164043.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I really need to get the cucs growing upward as well as the beans. Never tried it with cucs before but you just about have to with the green beans. Just haven't had time. Been crazy busy or raining like mad.

Yours is looking good too Don.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I've picked 4 ripe better boy maters, 2 gallons of green beans, half dozen peppers w/ more hanging. My sweet corn is tasseled. So all in all, things are doing well!

I will say that the large amounts of rain has rotted some of my peppers. Anybody else have this problem?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
My garden is totally sucking. :frown: I keep telling myself that I am 5 weeks behind everyone in planting, along with the straw experiment, but still sucks.

Ricer2231

I've picked 4 ripe better boy maters, 2 gallons of green beans, half dozen peppers w/ more hanging. My sweet corn is tasseled. So all in all, things are doing well!

I will say that the large amounts of rain has rotted some of my peppers. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks Phil. My grandad showed me to train them up a piece of woven wire fence a long time ago. It works really good, keeps them off the ground so they don't rot.

Dang Ron! You canning any of the beans or just eating them as they get picked? I would love to have a nice fresh tomato right now. I haven't had any peppers rot, they are looking pretty good. I just would like to know when I should pick them if anybody can help me out. I don't know when the jalapenos are ripe.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, Don. It's my opinion that the longer you let them hang, the hotter they will get. If your peppers are fully grown, I would go ahead and pick some. As far as the jalapeño peppers, if they are 2.5-3" long and dark green, then they are ready to pick. I have kept them on so long, that they turned red. Hot ones TOO!

Ricer2231

Well, Don. It's my opinion that the longer you let them hang, the hotter they will get. If your peppers are fully grown, I would go ahead and pick some. As far as the jalapeño peppers, if they are 2.5-3" long and dark green, then they are ready to pick. I have kept them on so long, that they turned red. Hot ones TOO!

Thanks bud. The jalapenos are probably about 2" right now and are really dark green, but there are only a couple that big. The other ones are only about 1" long. They are all dark green though. I knocked a little one off the plant the other night and without thinking reached down and ate it and it lit me up! Like took my breath for a minute, and I eat hot stuff all the time. I understand it had the seeds and the ribs in it but it was only about 3/4" long.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have pulled 26 Anaheim peppers, 17 jalapeños, 4 eggplants, 3 green peppers, untold numbers of zucchini and 35 ears of corn.

Been a good year for us.

Ricer2231

I have pulled 26 Anaheim peppers, 17 jalapeños, 4 eggplants, 3 green peppers, untold numbers of zucchini and 35 ears of corn.

Been a good year for us.

Hell yeah, I'd reckon! That's crazy good. I don't have the room for zucchini and the wife loves to fix stuffed zucchini and stuffed eggplant.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have been fortunate in the zucchini department. Erin couldn't find any when she was planting. Neighbors on two sides have had bumper crops of zucchini. We haven't gone without. Love some fried zucchini or zucchini bread.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That won't happen. If you are by this way let me know as I may have plenty at the time.

BTW.....mmmmmmm!

Fried zucchini and jalapeños topped with garden vegetable cream cheese, three cheese blend and grilled/charred.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374426724634.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374426724634.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 50

Ricer2231

That won't happen. If you are by this way let me know as I may have plenty at the time.

BTW.....mmmmmmm!

Fried zucchini and jalapeños topped with garden vegetable cream cheese, three cheese blend and grilled/charred.

You could always throw a couple extra in the truck on your way to the TOO shoot next weekend!

I just got done eating lunch and now you're making me hungry again!

Ricer2231

I picked these tonight because they looked like they were ready by what you were telling me Ron. Are these about the right size? I haven't tried any of these yet to see how hot they are at that size but it looked to me like I needed to pick at least a few of the to make room for the others. The plant I picked these off of had 11 peppers on it. If ya can't tell that's a quarter I laid beside them to kinda give you an idea of the size.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374450083.168722.jpg

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Little early for me. Each strain is a little different. I cut one open TOO see if they are ready. I like mine to get bigger so that they have a big enough cavity TOO stuff.