Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Equifax Data Hack.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
He's right as Ohio doesn't actually have a law limiting the bureaus fees or requiring a freeze to be free like other states do. No basis for a lawsuit. Your state legislature would be a good target for that email.

Or file a CFPB complaint. Its a pretty easy process.

Complaint filed....

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I knocked out all 4 agencies today for my wife and I. Observations/findings:

1. Best/easiest to complete the freezes online. Calling transunion was no problem but equifax and experian either said not possible or need to use snail mail written request.

2. Online let's you snapshot pins/confirmations for easy printing/storage when the time comes to unlock. All online transactions stated they would be followed up with snail mail documents.

3. Equifax website stated both my wife and I were at risk and offered a free enroll program of freezing and monitoring. No pin given and when trying to login to lock the account, only unlock options are available. I will be interested in seeing how fast an email/snail mail documents arrive with pin/unlock steps.

So, because Ohio has $5max charge, total could have been $40, but equifax was free and so was innovis so only $20.

Hopefully this helps others in their pursuit of protection of personal information in an era where you just want to sit back and drink a beer and say fuck it because no matter how hard you try, if you aren't Amish and burning your trash every evening, if someone wants ure stuff bad enough, they will find a way!

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hoping transunion and experian start waiving their fees as well... BS for them to make money on a situation any of them could of been in....

We're locked down as well as my son, daughters dragging her feet.... Got on her yesterday about getting it done again... But hey, she's an adult and will have to deal with it... You can only do so much...

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Hoping transunion and experian start waiving their fees as well... BS for them to make money on a situation any of them could of been in....

We're locked down as well as my son, daughters dragging her feet.... Got on her yesterday about getting it done again... But hey, she's an adult and will have to deal with it... You can only do so much...

Agreed on both J!

Jamie

Ohio
I put a freeze on my credit info with all four this afternoon online. I did have a delay with Equifax, but it went through on my second try 15 minutes later. what a pain in the ass.

establishing good credit is a fundamental necessity if you ever want anything expensive (house, car, property, etc,.) if you are not born with a silver spoon in your mouth, and it takes a fair amount of time and effort do it. now this. I bitch about getting older, but I'm damn glad I grew up, raised a family, built a business and life when I did. you could not pay me to be a 20 something nowadays. technology is not all good. guard your credit at all costs, millennials. guard it well.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a question. I've been messing with this off & on since this all started up. All I have yet to do is the Equifax freeze. I've done the two others earlier. Every time I try it online, I enter my info, then go to the next page & all it gives me is which freeze LIFT I want. Nothing about adding a freeze. It's almost as if I've done the freeze, but I know I have not. I then get mad & leave it alone for a while. There's no number I can find to call & talk to anyone. How did you guys accomplish it ?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the fast answer, I've tried what I could & it might as well be 1 800 fuck them. I can't get thru. I keep getting a automated system is not working recording after giving them my info.... I even actually talked to some gal just a bit ago who must have just woke up from being on some dope or something. She was no help.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's very strange I would assume if it says that it is locked then it is locked. Perhaps one of the timeouts actually went through.

yoderboys230@gmail.com

Transunion was easy and is locked
equifax is flooded and online and phone are unavailable
experian is requiring me to send paper copies and utility bills and a drivers license in?!?!?!?! :tantrum:

No way in ____! Guess who leaks it in the first place. Those place are one-stop shopping for data hackers. Kind of like gun free zones. Where do you think some dude that just lost his marbles is gonna attack 1st? The place that offers the least resistance, right?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a question. I've been messing with this off & on since this all started up. All I have yet to do is the Equifax freeze. I've done the two others earlier. Every time I try it online, I enter my info, then go to the next page & all it gives me is which freeze LIFT I want. Nothing about adding a freeze. It's almost as if I've done the freeze, but I know I have not. I then get mad & leave it alone for a while. There's no number I can find to call & talk to anyone. How did you guys accomplish it ?

Kevin, I just called the Equifax over the phone number and did it quickly and simply using the automated option. Just needing my SSN,DOB and present numerical address handy. Try calling late at night of early in the morning when there is less traffic?!?! Good luck

yoderboys230@gmail.com

Damn, I like your post to them... Puts exactly what I felt into words....

I actually emailed the attorney general and said the same... They called me today and said, although they agree, they have no jurisdiction in the matter...

They have no jurisdiction in the matter until election time, then they can do whatever you need them to do.( until they're elected) or maybe that's an appointed position.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just checked our credit reports today to make sure things were on the up and up. Was wondering if anyone had any fallout from this hack?