Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Curran's 2013 - 2014 all things outdoors Journal

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

Something work me up at 5:11 AM. I laid there listening to the rain hit the roof, hoping to fall back asleep. By 5:35 I was heading down the stairs with a shotgun in hand and a jacked up chessie on my heels. With my coffee ready to go we were out the door and loading up a small bag of decoys, leaky waders, and my overstuffed blind bag. Plenty of nonsense for a quick solo hunt before the work day would begin.

Legal light brought nothing but slightly heavier rain and the thoughts of having my head examined for getting out of bed. But not too long afterward, those thoughts were erased with the approaching eep eep of wood ducks in the early gray light. The first small group splashed down before I could even shoulder the gun, appearing out of thin air. I stood up and delivered a quick "Hey!!" to flush the birds off the hole. First shot missed, but the second connected, as did the third knocking down two birds out of the first group. Another follow up shot put the head down of the last bird shot after he was trying his best to swim for the cattails.

A few more opportunities came & went with a third bird for the morning hit but unrecovered after some diving retreats. He was determined to not let Timber fetch him up, and ultimately succeeded somehow. The action was quick early on but faded just as fast as the rains were starting to lighted up. I was happy with what was in hand for the last minute early morning decision, and packed back out to get ready for the day.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Outstanding pictures! Never realized how pretty those birds were. Glad your early morning was not a bust. Sounds like it was actually a pretty dang good morning. Good for you!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

With Saturday afternoon being the only opportunity this past weekend, I headed out into the hurricane. Luckily the winds did die down for the last hour of light which definitely got the deer up & moving. Ended up seeing 2 button bucks, 3 does, and what I think was a buck as I was trying to climb down. Ended up staying up in the stand for an extra 15 to 20 minutes until he moved along.

Same stand I hunted on opening weekend. View to my right.

To my left

To my back

Just some other stuff...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Took the kiddos out and hunted a decent area in some thick cover the other day. We were joined by another good family friend & his Grandson. Unfortunately no deer were harmed in the time spend outdoors...

It was tight quarters in this thicket with good sign all around. View from the blind to a trail crossing in front...

Intersecting trail coming in to the left of the blind...

There's another trail coming in from the right side of the blind but it's so thick in places it looks like a tunnel...

Getting me my shooting distances... pretty much using my 20 pin in here (to borrow a quote from Dante)

Group shot for the deer contest... at least we go some points for all the noise we made opening candy wrappers, burping to sound like a deer grunt, and giggling becasue Dad kept saying to "hush up"...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Soak it up buddy. I am loving seeing these pictures and recaps. Wishing my kids were not growing up so fast. In a flash we are going to be scolding them for not putting gas back in the car.