Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadheads

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
ST was quick with a response. I told them about it, not asking for anything in return. Just wanted to let them know in case of some brittle metal. He asked a few questions and sent me replacement blades without being asked. Good on them. Hopefully I get to see how well they work...soon.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
ST was quick with a response. I told them about it, not asking for anything in return. Just wanted to let them know in case of some brittle metal. He asked a few questions and sent me replacement blades without being asked. Good on them. Hopefully I get to see how well they work...soon.

When you get the replacement blades I would replace them all. Use the other blades for practice. Now go blow a slug hole in a deer. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep and no doubt. He seemed interested in making sure they weren't old ones. If that means anything...

A couple years ago they got a bad batch of blades that were brittle. Really hurt the company reputation even though they made everything right. There is no doubt in my mind brock got some from the same batch. He broke two in a deer and 1 with a BH wrench just taking it off. There could still be some out there if a guy bought replacement blades when he purchased his heads years ago. I shot the same 6 ST for 3 years and killed a many deer with them. Just this year I finally bought some new ones. He was probably wanting to make sure this wasn't the old batch so he can be watchful if he gets more reports about broken blades. Those blades shouldn't break, just bend, especially along the edge like that..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I throw this out there for thought...

At use one of the cheap foam blocks you see at every Wally World for broadhead practice. At 50 yards shooting longways through the target, I can bury between 20-22" of a 28.5" arrow in the target. With a Rage, I get between 13-15". With a Montec CS, I get 14-16". The ST's have a way of "pulling" themselves through a target and seeing what it did from Tracie's rig, sold me for life...

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
I did the same thing jessie when I shot a wal-mart target arrow went through the target and into the garage and ripped my fletchings off, so I got a block then it got destroyed fast ,,,,,now have a blob target its indestructable

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Mt ST story from my buck this year.

Here is a pic of the vertabre with that big hole being the spinal canal. If you look you can see the ST buried in there.

Here it is after I dug the ST out of the bone (sorry for the bad pics but it's the best I could do at the time) If you look and see the black line, that is from one of the ST blades digging into the bone and leaving behind a blade groove. You can also see the hole left behind from the tip of the BH into SOLID bone.

The only things to happen to the ST BH is it bent the one blade that sunk into the bone and dulled the blades. Now if it wasn't for the bent blade I could just sharpen the blades and been good to go. Even now all I need to do is just replace the blades and go again.

I think with a little more poundage and KE behind it I would have finished blowing out that vertabre and into vitals with no problem. As is that buck didn't go anywhere. Completely cut the spinal cord in half at the shoulders. Not the best shot placement from a 7 yard straight down shot but it was now or never and in reality I only missed my mark by an inch to the right.