Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadheads

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Learn me something then, what's the difference between a ST and the 4 blade muzzy 100 that I'm shooting? Are we talking Ford v. Chevy, or Jetta vs Freightliner? Engineering? Component quality?

Ferrule.. Muzzy has an aircraft aluminum ferrule with a steel tocar tip.
ST has a 100% steel ferrule sharpened to a tocar tip tested stronger than titanium with a tolerance of .001.

Blades..
Muzzy has a blade thickness of .020 - .025 depending on the model and obviously aren't proud of their blade material as it's not easily located on their website.. If you can find it let me know. All I can find is stainless steel.
ST Blades have a thickness of .035. Almost 29%-43% thicker than Muzzy. And are made by a German company famous for making surgical scalpel blades since 1922.

But the most damming of all is the fact that muzzy actually shoots one BH from each batch into a steel drum as a QC test..... As you can see from the video above, The ST beat them at their own test.. ;)

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well boys I picked up another set of broadheads today. The Steel Force Phatheads are a great head and gave me absolutely no reason to switch, but you know how it goes with broadheads. I was standing there, staring down the wall of broadheads at Fin Feather Fur, trying to decide which ones. I almost took the plunge with a pack of Slick Tricks, but I've already seen that some of you guys shoot them and I've seen what they can do. Instead, I went with another tried-and-true broadhead that maybe doesn't get all the attention or hype that it possibly deserves. I've always wanted to try these ones, but just never pulled the trigger for some reason. I ended up buying a pack of Magnus Stinger 100s... not the buzzcuts, just the regular stingers.

I know this is extremely cliche when it comes to broadheads, but these heads are SCARY sharp. I'm not exagerating here... they're probably the sharpest broadheads I've ever held. These things will seriously fucking hurt you if you mess around with them. I like that. :) I don't know how well they fly yet, but we shall see here very soon. It seems like all the guys that shoot stingers swear by them, just like every other broadhead of course, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what these do to a deer.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Dang JB next time you are coming down to fin give me a little notice and maybe we can arrange lunch at perkins or something. Curious to see how those stingers work out for you also.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang JB next time you are coming down to fin give me a little notice and maybe we can arrange lunch at perkins or something. Curious to see how those stingers work out for you also.

Shoot buddy, I should've realized you weren't far from there. One of these days.

I'm sure the stingers will kill them dead just like any other quality broadhead... But what really made me pick them was the lifetime warranty. Shoot one into the dirt, nick it up a bit, and send it back to Magnus... wahlah... brand new sent back to you. So basically, as long as I don't lose any, it's a lifetime supply of broadheads. Pretty cool, I think.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Disappointed in my ST. Dropped one out of the stand that was only 13 feet up (to be under the young tree, criss-crossing canopy). Well, a blade edge broke on such a short drop.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Say what? Lol... Got a picture of it? How did the one fair you shot into the dirt at half draw whwn your loop broke?

Contact ST and see what he says. I bet he'll trade you a new pack for it just to get a look at it himself.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The one that was drawn and loop broke landed in a mud puddle in the bean field. I was only drawn 4" when the loop broke. It was fine for the most part, just need sharpened. Will post a pic soon as I am home today.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Going to try a pic from my phone. My wife has the "good" camera with her.

Basically, a small chunk broke off the edge. I bet I could sharpen it mostly gone without TOO much of a spin/flight issue. Just suprised me. It literaly just fell a few feet with no force behind it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320066388887.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320066388887.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 132

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Going to try a pic from my phone. My wife has the "good" camera with her.

Basically, a small chunk broke off the edge. I bet I could sharpen it mostly gone without TOO much of a spin/flight issue. Just suprised me. It literaly just fell a few feet with no force behind it.

Did it break like chip? Or did the blade knurl, like the edge flatten or wave.. Looks like it flat spotted the blade edge. Even though 13 feet seems short, if a blade hits a rock you can expect the blade to get dinged where it hit. I wouldn't expect it to chip of break, but i can see where it might flat spot or wave the edge.

The one that landed in the mud puddle in the bean field i bet still had more force behind it than the one that fell straight down.. I think the difference is the one tat fell hit something hard like a rock right on that blade tip.

epe

Lancaster
I think I am taking the st magnums back. I don't like the way they shoot out of the excalibur...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320069159949.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320069159949.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 126

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Joe it chipped off. I would expect a bend/flat spot more than a chip.

I agree it must have hit something in the mud below the tree. I couldn't find a stone because I noticed the chip and looked around the area. There was nothing large in the spot anywho.