Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2024 Spring Turkey

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Congrats killas. Spent 2 days down south on public, heard a couple birds but couldn’t keep up with em. Did just shy of 20 miles of hoofing it in the hills, which was super fun. Got home yesterday afternoon and decided I’d hunt this morning. Went to a chunk that I’m very familiar with but didn’t realize how flooded it would be lol. Got them to shock gobble to an owl hoot, made a move and was setup 50ish yards from their roost. Got to watch them strut on the limb for a while which was bad ass. Group of 6 longbeards flew down and stayed on the other side of the flooded timber from me up until 2 hens pitched down next to me and one decided he would wade across the water to get to em. Big mistake for him, few yelps to draw him to 20ish yards and turned him into a pile. 10.5” beard 1 1/4” spurs, 22lbs even. Bittersweet, but I pick my boat up today so I’m not bitchin.
IMG_6043.jpeg
CFB8B669-2A76-4E7A-BA7F-A3140746A99F.jpeg

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Congrats killas. Spent 2 days down south on public, heard a couple birds but couldn’t keep up with em. Did just shy of 20 miles of hoofing it in the hills, which was super fun. Got home yesterday afternoon and decided I’d hunt this morning. Went to a chunk that I’m very familiar with but didn’t realize how flooded it would be lol. Got them to shock gobble to an owl hoot, made a move and was setup 50ish yards from their roost. Got to watch them strut on the limb for a while which was bad ass. Group of 6 longbeards flew down and stayed on the other side of the flooded timber from me up until 2 hens pitched down next to me and one decided he would wade across the water to get to em. Big mistake for him, few yelps to draw him to 20ish yards and turned him into a pile. 10.5” beard 1 1/4” spurs, 22lbs even. Bittersweet, but I pick my boat up today so I’m not bitchin.
View attachment 193693View attachment 193694
Congrats!

Reactions: TinyTucky

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Congratulation hunters! Glad that's a fox den and not a yote den lol.
Their den was about 50 yards behind wide open in the pasture field , ballsy but it's worked for them the past three years. They don't have to worry about hunters since we think they're cool as hell amd enjoy having them around . Their only fight is the natural predators such as the yotes that we take care of when opportunities are present . The hole you see the pup in is actually a ground hog hole in a bank side they didn't care that I was only 10 yards from them it was really fun to watch them pop in an out of each hole . When mama started barking they ran back to the den so on my way back to the truck I recorded them disobeying mom's orders and wrestling each other in the dirt outside the den. Definitely one of those you had to be there moments awesome experience

Stressless

Keene, OH
Three days without hearing or seeing a bird, this AM at daybreak one gobbles up the hill, I call lightly and off he goes. Text our hunt group that I may get a Late Day'er walking back, Cliff, Chris and Mooch, 4 hours later this one, maybe the same one comes up following a feeding hen, she drug him to his doom.

9yd 125gr Bullhead does it again. Putting the story up in the season hunt journal later.... maybe a vid not sure yet. Im sure now. Good Video.
Capture.JPG

73433.jpeg

20240423_124751.jpg

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Took a gun today. My Ohio tag is filled. It was kinda a cluster all morning from start to finish but will make a fine memory. I shot the wrong bird, but a bird nonetheless. 😁
Mason and I are planning to go back to Kentucky this weekend and we’ve got some hunters lined up here to take to the woods.
IMG_0157.jpeg