Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Xbow Question

Buckmaster

Portage
I once had a PSE Foxfire that would shoot in different variations based on the weather.

It was a metal framed bow with a plastic arrow rest. The arrow rest would flex given the different weather characteristics and thus cause shifts in my shot placements/patterns.

It was weird.

I ended with trying to sight the bow to similar weather characteristics in which I would hunt.

I eventually sold that bow and bought the top name brand at the time, A Horton.

Somebody get this man a cookie.

Have you tried anything we have suggested?

Yep, just crossing one thing off at a time. Definitely helped NOT shooting off a shooting stick. This bow jumps quite a bit, and having it on the stick allowed for too much movement. Simply shouldering it, elbow on knee and focusing on pulling it into the shoulder helps. Also bought some Bowjax cable dampeners that will be here this week to lighten the kick a bit.

Arrows SEEM to be good. Still wanting to try new inserts, just don't have a ton of time to get to it. And mechanicals also seem to be the way to go. I think over the off season I'll dick around with the slick trick 150's for even higher foc. I don't prefer mechs simply because of penetration but I'll take a consistent pattern over anything.

Not 100% sure yet. Haven't had a chance to shoot it mid-day again yet. Like I said though, keeping it off the stick helped when I shot it in the evening, so I'm sure at least some of it had to do with shooter.

I'd stick with ONLY ONE arrow. Find one arrow that groups consistent and shoot only that arrow. My advice about broadheads is to shoot the narrowest tip you can. I shoot 4 bladed model 209 Muzzys with a 1" diameter cut. These work best for me, but my xbows are considerably slower than yours.

Update: I ended up buying new bolts with brass inserts....Black Eagle Executioners with 3" vanes. Wow, what a difference. All this time I was thinking the bow was the problem, and it was the bolts(carbon express piledrivers).

The combination of the shorter vanes and brass inserts has made a huge difference. I also altered my finger positioning when pulling the trigger, which helped. Now I'm putting 2" groups out to 50 yds. with slick trick magnum 100's. I also added the Bowjax limb dampeners, which really quieted the bow and gave it waayyy less kick. All set for the rut!