Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Why do you hunt with the bow you use?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Man, I remember buying A Browning Compound Stalker and taking it out of the box and directly into the vise (padded of course), drill in hand and drilling a hole through the riser for a: "BERGER BUTTON".... Right now some of the youngins are wondering: What the hell is a BERGER BUTTON???
Then wrapping the riser in mole skin 😂😂

Reactions: Big H and Fletch

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Man, I remember buying A Browning Compound Stalker and taking it out of the box and directly into the vise (padded of course), drill in hand and drilling a hole through the riser for a: "BERGER BUTTON".... Right now some of the youngins are wondering: What the hell is a BERGER BUTTON???

Not if they're worth a damn with their bow tuning ✌

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I still have Berger bottoms and flipper rests in my archery tackle box!😂

Reactions: Big H and Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yup got all that stuff including the sight light J... Even have some Anderson 245 broad heads still in box.... Like throwing an axe at a deer...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yes, yes I do! I’ve got just as much old gear as “modern”. Even have some old bear broadheads with replacement bleeder blades (still in the package). A dozen old sights and about 100 pins...and some moleskin!😂
How about a pendulum sight? Also known as the tree stand sight?

Reactions: Boarhead

Justen1221

Warren
If you guys know anyone needing a good bow I got one for sale fully loaded

Attachments

• 7EDB99FC-C6E2-48E8-8C89-EB89C3B1EA1A.jpeg
    7EDB99FC-C6E2-48E8-8C89-EB89C3B1EA1A.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 165

Big H

Medina

Don't forget about the "flipper" that went along with the Berger button.... I may still have that setup around here somewhere. I grew up shooting recurves in the backyard, fiberglass and an old wooden one my dad had (I still have it). I used my lawn mowing/trapping money to buy a Ben Pearson Mirage and killed my first deer (9 point buck) with it in 1979. Next bow was a Ben Pearson "Critter Getter" with a BERGER BUTTON and Flipper. Then a Horton Hunter Supreme Xbow, then back to a Bear Vapor 300 compound and now I shoot a Mathews Drenalin because I got a super deal from one of those guys that likes a new bow every couple years. I also use a Barnett Whitetail Hunter (?) for ground blind hunting. Honestly I will use whatever is in season and whatever I feel like killing a deer with at the time. Although my wife has told me that I am more of a deer watcher than a deer hunter LOL.

Big H

Medina
Yes, yes I do! I’ve got just as much old gear as “modern”. Even have some old bear broadheads with replacement bleeder blades (still in the package). A dozen old sights and about 100 pins...and some moleskin!😂

I have a bunch of old stuff around here TOO....Easton XX75's. Anyone remember using fiberglass arrows? How about the big rubber small game tips we slid over our arrows to shoot small game?

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Don't forget about the "flipper" that went along with the Berger button.... I may still have that setup around here somewhere. I grew up shooting recurves in the backyard, fiberglass and an old wooden one my dad had (I still have it). I used my lawn mowing/trapping money to buy a Ben Pearson Mirage and killed my first deer (9 point buck) with it in 1979. Next bow was a Ben Pearson "Critter Getter" with a BERGER BUTTON and Flipper. Then a Horton Hunter Supreme Xbow, then back to a Bear Vapor 300 compound and now I shoot a Mathews Drenalin because I got a super deal from one of those guys that likes a new bow every couple years. I also use a Barnett Whitetail Hunter (?) for ground blind hunting. Honestly I will use whatever is in season and whatever I feel like killing a deer with at the time. Although my wife has told me that I am more of a deer watcher than a deer hunter LOL.
Ben Pearson was my first bow...Bear whitetail II was my second, proline my third.

Fletch

Supporting Member
You mean like this... Still have 1 or 2 new ones somewhere....How about cat whiskers???
PXL_20201221_154836789.jpg
PXL_20201221_154753451.jpg
PXL_20201221_154628728.jpg
PXL_20201221_154612756.MP.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I hunt with things that kill deer.

This!!! I am ashamed to say, If you asked me this same question when I was 20, I would probably have put my nose up at you and said "Mathews", as I get older and my testosterone levels arent that of a 3.5 year old buck in rut - I have much more sense.

Honestly, I prefer to hunt with my 9 year old Mathews Heli-m. However, I have a blind on a powerline easement on the farm that is fantastic for gun setups. The camera there has shown that SEVERAL shooters frequent this spot to eat in the foodplot in daylight. I can shoot a bow out of the blind but a XBOW would be much higher odds. Due to that reason, I plan to use a XBOW there over the years to smack deer. That is a prime example of using the weapon that kills the deer for the situation. I am nowhere near above shooting a 140+ inch deer with any weapon that is legal.

I also have a few suburban type hunting spots that you need to pin-wheel the deer. Although I use my bow now, as life gets busy, I can see myself using an XBOW more often.

Just like anything else, it is a tool and as long as it gets the job done - they are all GREAT to use.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Bow stabilizer??? What's that??? Just kidding.. I have a short one on the bow now... But killed plenty of deer without one... So is it needed??? Who knows....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
guyyys, I'm new in bow shooting, archery or whatever it is called, however I'm really passionate about it, even though I'm just a newbie now. My trainer said that I need to have a new bow stabilizer. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not an expert and choosing the best equipment is really tough task for me. I've discovered on twitter https://hibipod.com/best-bow-stabilizer-reviews/, there are the best bow stabilizer models, however I'm really looking forward to hearing your real-life experience. Do you really need a bow stabilizer? Is it useful and which one should I choose, if I'm a newbie in bow shooting? Thanks in advance.
@bowhunter1023 ????

• Haha
Reactions: Dustinb80