Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your weapon of choice, for the upcoming Deer Gun Season?

I have absolutely NO regrets purchasing this Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster! :cool:
It has been the most accurate large bore rifle that I have ever owned. 5 shots in 1 hole at 100 yards with my reloads. 39.5 grains of Lil'Gun @ 2550 fps with a 250 gr. Hornady FTX bullet. A 22" barrel with a factory muzzle brake. I've topped it with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x12, which has very clear glass and crisp crosshairs. (y)

I can't wait to bust a coyote with it, during the Deer Gun Season. Seems like I always see a few. :rolleyes:

What's going to be your weapon of choice, for this year's Deer Gun Season? :unsure:

Attachments

• Ruger 2_Fotor_Fotor.jpg
    Ruger 2_Fotor_Fotor.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 303

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been gun-hunting with a Savage 220 for about 6 or 7 seasons now. I love the gun and have killed close 9 or 10 deer with it so far. That being said, I have been fighting the straight-wall cartridge urge for quite some time. Last season I was very tempted to buy a .450 bushmaster but I am really glad I didn't. IMO there are better options than the .450. I really dislike the loudness of most of them. The muzzle break on the Rugers looks horrendous IMO and results in unnecessary noise at the back end of the gun. They just do not seem "fun" to shoot. If/when I jump on the straight-wall train, it will be on a .350 Legend platform. If I can fight the urge for just a few more weeks I'll be in the clear. Until next year. LOL

OhioWhiteTails,
Good looking rifle! I nearly purchased the MPR, but opted for the American.

As for the 350 Legend "craze". I think the 350 Legend is going to be a good option for someone that wants less recoil, good accuracy, less ammo cost and decent range. (y)
However, I also think it's going to be a 450 vs. 350 choice, much like the current 12 gauge vs. 20 gauge. I want the power for extended yardage, I don't mind the recoil.
Excellent choice, either way! :cool:

Bowhunter57

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Going to leave the 870 in the cabinet this year. I'll be carrying the marlin SBL trapper in .45-70. Topped with a leupold american marksman 3x9. 5 holes touching at 100 yards using hornady leverevolution. Running factory ammo since I haven't worked out a hand load I'm happy with yet.

Later in the week when I hook up with some friends to do some driving, I'll probably be carrying the ruger super Redhawk in .44 magnum.
20191124_064629.jpg