Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

This evenings dinner crab legs, shrimp, garlic mashed taters, and broccoli with cheese. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a steak. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424472871.312727.jpg

badger

*Supporting Member*
The price of meat right now is crazy and you better watch because they find a lot of ways to make more. Boneless whole pork loin can be bought often for $1.99 a lb. Thats's about as cheap as anything you can buy besides chicken. Right next to the whole loins you'll see the same meat cut into chops, butterflied chops, thin cut, thick cut, stuffed, etc. that's when the price can climb to $6.99 or higher.

Always buy the whole loin and cut it yourself. When It's on sale, I usually buy two and spend a few hrs cutting and vacuum sealing per my needs.

Gotta love a chop that's almost 3" thick.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424992870.273025.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424992886.755803.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looks tasty dude!

I'm making plans to get some chickens for eggs, but may get some for meat as well. My dad and I are going in on a steer and a hog or two. Going to go all grass fed. Can't wait until we butcher!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's kinda funny you mention that. I've spent my whole life trying to gain weight by eating like a pig & it hasn't helped. Now that I'm in my mid 50's I've finally learned not to give a fuck. My new problem is that I have high cholesterol & I'm working on keeping down. Go figure.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Looks tasty dude!

I'm making plans to get some chickens for eggs, but may get some for meat as well. My dad and I are going in on a steer and a hog or two. Going to go all grass fed. Can't wait until we butcher!

Have you considered meat rabbits? Dude I grew up with always had rabbits going for the freezer. Joie and were still getting a few from them up until a few years ago. I'd go over and help with all the butchering and have some fine white meat for the freezer.

The price of meat right now is crazy and you better watch because they find a lot of ways to make more. Boneless whole pork loin can be bought often for $1.99 a lb. Thats's about as cheap as anything you can buy besides chicken. Right next to the whole loins you'll see the same meat cut into chops, butterflied chops, thin cut, thick cut, stuffed, etc. that's when the price can climb to $6.99 or higher.

Always buy the whole loin and cut it yourself. When It's on sale, I usually buy two and spend a few hrs cutting and vacuum sealing per my needs.

Gotta love a chop that's almost 3" thick.

View attachment 28687

View attachment 28688

My wife buys it like that, then we do the same cut and package.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Putting this on here and on my Pork thread. Smallest ham I have, at least 5 pounds ++++. I cut it, poured a bottle of maple surup on it and baked it in the oven. Got it all smoked and it was awesome.

IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1930.jpgIMG_1931.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 103

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just a heads up...

Costco has full loins for $2 a pound and $2.50 off per package.

So I purchased a 10 pound loin (trimmed) for $17.50

Cut some for chops and left a good portion to smoke whole. Good deal for anyone that is a member.

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
Just a heads up...

Costco has full loins for $2 a pound and $2.50 off per package.

So I purchased a 10 pound loin (trimmed) for $17.50

Great price Charles.

Cut some for chops and left a good portion to smoke whole. Good deal for anyone that is a member.

Last nights dinner deer roast, baby carrots, sour cream and chive mashed potatoes, and hot yeast rolls.View attachment 28825

That looks so good. I was waiting on my dinner, when I clicked on this earlier.