Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Season Countdown!

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Scouted before school this morning. Had three blasting hard very close together in one of my favorite hollas. Hope they hang around.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think later in the season is gonna be the best this yr . A lot of toms are henned up and aren't gobbling as much around here . Once they hit the ground most have been shutting up . I was seeing and hearing birds all over a week and a half ago . Now not so much .

That's the probably every season thanks to the late start of our season. Is there any sound science or reasoning to why we wait so damn long to open things up?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I didn't hear squat . Neither did my buddy either listening at some other property we can hunt . It was really windy and it was starting to rain tho .

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I didn't hear squat . Neither did my buddy either listening at some other property we can hunt . It was really windy and it was starting to rain tho .

I barely heard the group that I did and I was within 150 yards of them. Wind and rain made it rough this morning.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm going to look for shotgun shells and put the shot barrel on the 1100 probably today or tomorrow. I'll have to see if I can find my headnet and a call or two also. I should probably work harder to prepare for turkey season :).

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason is hunting a youth only area on Paint Creek in the morning, so our season starts pretty soon!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mike, I haven't looked into the team thing. A little late for all that I'd guess. I managed to gather up a slate, some dried up diaphrams, a few shells and our head nets. We are ready! :) We are taking another father and son team with us into the youth area. The Dad called today to see what my plan of action is for the morning. He was concerned that he and his son would mess up our hunt due to his son getting cold or something. My answer; " You think I take this stuff seriously"? Hehe. If the birds don't cooperate, that father and son will find me and Mason sleeping in the truck when they get done.

Good luck to everyone going out in the morning!

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He was concerned that he and his son would mess up our hunt due to his son getting cold or something. My answer; " You think I take this stuff seriously"? Hehe. If the birds don't cooperate, that father and son will find me and Mason sleeping in the truck when they get done.

That is some good stuff Brock! Thanks for the chuckle and smile on my face. I had a picture of you and Mason snoring in your truck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Been eerily quiet here this morning. We have an easterly wind and I firmly believe winds from the east suppress animal movement. I'm positive it does for deer, but it doesn't make much sense with turkeys. I was here at 6:10, so I shouldn't have missed anything.

Found a comfortable log and fired up a Backwoods Honey Berry cigar. Just going to take in the show as the woods come alive. Hunting shrooms and sheds once I have some daylight!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Mike, I haven't looked into the team thing. A little late for all that I'd guess. I managed to gather up a slate, some dried up diaphrams, a few shells and our head nets. We are ready! :) We are taking another father and son team with us into the youth area. The Dad called today to see what my plan of action is for the morning. He was concerned that he and his son would mess up our hunt due to his son getting cold or something. My answer; " You think I take this stuff seriously"? Hehe. If the birds don't cooperate, that father and son will find me and Mason sleeping in the truck when they get done.

HAHA. Good stuff Brock. I will never taking turkey hunting TOO seriously. I'm only doing it because I love the spring woods. Killing a bird is a bonus...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Been eerily quiet here this morning. We have an easterly wind and I firmly believe winds from the east suppress animal movement. I'm positive it does for deer, but it doesn't make much sense with turkeys. I was here at 6:10, so I shouldn't have missed anything.

Found a comfortable log and fired up a Backwoods Honey Berry cigar. Just going to take in the show as the woods come alive. Hunting shrooms and sheds once I have some daylight!

Thursday we had 3-4 birds gobbling in this one spot. Today there was only one singing his song. But he was hammering 4-5 times a minute for 30 minutes. Not another peep once he hit the ground. They're henned up pretty good. He did fly a creek to get to a hen so he's callable if he pitches wrong. But he just needs to find the foam hen before a real one and we'll be in good shape.

Huckleberry Finn

Day 1 over...

Oh yea, Big John wishes you a happy turkey season:

[video=youtube;XKf0PtF47yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKf0PtF47yg&feature=youtu.be&a[/video]

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
BOOM! 5 min ago. Came in fast and surprised us, split second get the gun up. Alex'a gun barked. We ran over!

Fuckin jake! Lmao.