Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Had a few birds show up yesterday and we managed a decent hunt this am. Should of gotten our 12 mallards, but we walked out with 10 mallards and 3 GW . Saw a small portion of the number we should be seeing this time of yr but el nino and crappy Zoning and dates are gonna make this my worst season I can remember .

HeartLunger

Went on my first waterfowl hunt yesterday. We ate well! Lol!

Saw plenty of birds, but they were either too high or too far out to respond to the callers. We did see at least 300 sandhill cranes in a flock, which I understand is pretty rare.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We sat our pond in WV this morning. Once again the birds flew off at 7. At least 50. Sucks to be on that number of birds and not be able to kill them. We did kill a drake hoodie, so we didn't get skunked.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We sat our pond in WV this morning. Once again the birds flew off at 7. At least 50. Sucks to be on that number of birds and not be able to kill them. We did kill a drake hoodie, so we didn't get skunked.
Sounds like a roost spot and if so, morning hunts will keep being disappointing. Hunt it on an afternoon when it's cloudy and/or nasty weather so they come in to roost before legal. May only get one or two shoots out of it this way though so keep that in mind.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's what we talked about today. We thought they got busted last week by those guys, but it appears to be the ritual. Figured an afternoon hunt was worth an effort. I was going to ask for pointers on that. We'll try for a crappy day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's what we talked about today. We thought they got busted last week by those guys, but it appears to be the ritual. Figured an afternoon hunt was worth an effort. I was going to ask for pointers on that. We'll try for a crappy day.
They could very well be coming in before sunset on the reg but you won't know until you scout it. I only say wait for a dark day because that's usually what it takes this time of year. At the very least it gives you more opportunities... A half hour of action will give you more plays than the last 3 minutes obviously. Just need to scout it and see what they're doing and go from there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Taking a buddy out on his first ever waterfowl hunt tomorrow. He loves to fish and has recently taken a liking to the idea of hunting. He went on his first deer hunt during gun season and has been shopping for bows for a couple months. He's eager to learn, so we figured he'd be a good addition to the group. Should be a good time.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Taking a buddy out on his first ever waterfowl hunt tomorrow. He loves to fish and has recently taken a liking to the idea of hunting. He went on his first deer hunt during gun season and has been shopping for bows for a couple months. He's eager to learn, so we figured he'd be a good addition to the group. Should be a good time.
Sounds good. Hopefully you guys get some action. If so, I'm sure he'll be yet another victim of the waterfowl bug.

I'm hunting tomorrow for one last time this year in the lake Erie marsh zone. No big expectations but hopefully we get a few plays. I'd like to see Betty get a few more retrieves to cap off a busy season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had a drake black duck with with a hen pull a textbook cup and drop right in the hole right after daylight. Our buddy got to hammer both for is first confirmed kills. Pretty exciting to say the least.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Killed 3 today. Had a single drake mallard worked to perfection today. Flew over, I hit him with some feed chatter and a couple quacks, he locked it up and cupped right in to the hole. Folded him about 8' off the water not 10 yards in front of the blind. One of the prettiest scenes we've had there in a long time.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Killed 3 today. Had a single drake mallard worked to perfection today. Flew over, I hit him with some feed chatter and a couple quacks, he locked it up and cupped right in to the hole. Folded him about 8' off the water not 10 yards in front of the blind. One of the prettiest scenes we've had there in a long time.

That's the best! Makes you feel good about yourself, that's for sure.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was very fortunate to hunt some private ground this morning and it ended up being a great shoot. I'm glad I could put Betty on a few more retrieves to close out the LEMZ duck season (assuming I don't hunt tomorrow). The mallards worked into the hole really nice early on and I doubled on a couple bonus pintails. The drake is one of three nicest ones I've ever killed... Certainly the longest sprig I've killed. Killed the final greenhead around 11 o'clock I think. My friend that was with me got 3 mallards and a gadwall, but he had to leave around 10. As tough as this Ohio duck season has been in 2015, I'm extremely happy with today's outcome. It was nice to end on a good note.

uploadfromtaptalk1451162317724.jpguploadfromtaptalk1451162381142.jpg