Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Chronicles - 2014 Edition

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
phpX5qBsCAM.jpgphpenW2GbAM.jpgphpuwiYDrAM.jpgphpmxQ433AM.jpgphp9amhqlAM.jpg Only heard 2 birds today and they flew down went to hens and shut up. When my buddy Kevin and I were out Thursday we found a red fox den and sat and watched the pups play for awhile so my buddy Tommy and I went back today to try and get some pics of them today they weren't out. The pics are of their den and the other pics are of a place if we get any more turkeys would be a nice place to take some kill photos.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I killed a Jake for my first turkey ever. Pretty boring. One gobble on roost. Kept walking. I thought I caused the gobble while snapping a twig under my foot. Yeah, I got in late. Had another fly down 50yds later. I continued another 4-500yds to a spot I have seen them before. Heard two gobbles on ground estimated a couple hundred yards behind me. Then all quiet for half an hour or so. Next thing I know a redhead walks in quiet and alone. Verify beard with binoculars. Watched him eat while completely unconcerned about my hen decoy. Decided to shoot him given the chance. Never killed one. Time is limited. Why not? So he continued feeding with no concerns and turned his tail towards me with head down. Brings his head back up and turns towards me. Bang. Flop flop flop. Truly boring hunt. No adrenaline. No "I called him in." No real rush. I am not sure this is for me. Guess we will know at dinner tomorrow night.

Funny parts of the day. Kids saw it and asked where I shot him. I said "in the head". They asked "How did you hit that tiny head? It is so small a target." My 9 year old son replies "Cause dad is the boss!" He knows how to make daddy feel proud.

After cleaning it my wife made me laugh as well. She said "we learned some things today. 1) dad now knows how to clean a turkey. 2) if there is a zombie apocalypse we won't go hungry. And 3) I guess this goes to show if daddy kills and and cleans it, it looks like I am willing to cook it."
uploadfromtaptalk1399129377419.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice job Bonemonger.

Thanks guys. Aholdren- If I can make someone laugh at my goofiness, then it was all worth it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Called one in and my gun didn't fire last year Boarhead. That was exciting. Would have been nice if I called this one in AND killed him. Just don't have much time to commit in the spring so I decided to get this one off my chest. Probably won't shoot another jake unless it has one killer story to go with it. I'd say I am done for the year as well. Unless these breasts taste amazing, I am not sure I am going to take the time to hunt anymore this spring.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations, Phil! Turkeys are funny. They are only fun to kill when they play their part to the fullest extent. I won't even sit and call without one gobbling anymore. If they aren't screaming, I'm not doing it. It's just as fun to call them in and NOT shoot, shooting them in itself is not where it's at for me.

We (my buddy Clint) took our boys on a youth hunt at Paint Creek this morning. We did not hear a single gobble. A bit after daylight I cut pretty loud and had one yelp back. Not knowing the bird's gender, Clint set up the boys and I dropped back in the brush and called a hen up within 10 yards of the boys. She was all alone and was the only turkey we saw or heard all morning! We covered a lot of ground, saw a lot of sign, just no birds!

I'll be going after the bird I found Thursday in the morning. I hoped to get Mason on him tomorrow, but Mason decided to go hang out with Grandpa. My time to hunt will be coming to a sudden stop after tomorrow, so I'm going to make an effort to kill one in the morning.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congratulations, Phil! Turkeys are funny. They are only fun to kill when they play their part to the fullest extent. I won't even sit and call without one gobbling anymore. If they aren't screaming, I'm not doing it. It's just as fun to call them in and NOT shoot, shooting them in itself is not where it's at for me.

Makes sense to me because this was more like methodical assassination than a hunt. Got the first one under my belt. I can see me going about it like you do. Go out and enjoy it. Maybe shoot one, maybe not. Doesn't matter so long as it is fun. I appreciate it. Good luck in the morning Mr Brock!

k.stone

central Ohio
Congrats on the kills guys !
Sat on 2 hemorroids for 6 hours yesterday morning and didn't see 1 bird.
First light one was gobbling on roost behind me but flew down and got the flock out of dodge.