Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
First 2dz sold today, first $6 made🤣

20230817_094011.jpg

Couple small investments working out well. The pads have reduced the number of cracked eggs to practically 0, and the 32 eggs in vertical storage right next to the stove is handy. We keep it topped off and any extra go towards inventory in fridge.

Screenshot_20230817_202102_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Next up is 2 5gal buckets & lids for waterglassing storage in pantry. Would like to find a place they never have to be moved, and can keep the area clean when removing from the stash (drips, drops, etc.).

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The old chicken stump got a workout yesterday. Took us 4 hours from setup to cleanup to put 11 birds averaging 11+ #s in the freezer. Having an 10 year old daughter that'll snatch a headless flopping chicken and hold it down until its done twitching is a proud dad stat 😂

20230909_164048.jpg

Hey @giles, was a good day to clean the garage today 😉 Got all the chicken stuff cleaned up and put away, and recovered from the overflow of stuff from fair week. Between chickens, dogs, and kids, it's hard to stay on top of this space!

20230910_140629.jpg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
It was only a matter of time before the local flock of 15 wild turkeys interacted with the chickens. They are in the yard and around the house alot this time of year and tonight the turks came right up to the chicken flock which was right outside the coop. They proceeded to do some small chasing and sizing up. The turk flock is 3-4 hens and rest juveniles. Anyone have any experience in this arena lol?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
10dz. water glassed today, plan is to let em sit until Feb/Mar before cracking the lid to try some for scrambled eggs. Then just pulling some each month to see how they do up to 1yr.

Got enough supplies to start another bucket in spring time if it works and noone is getting sick or complaining of taste. Used 2.5gal of distilled H2O + 12oz (weight) of lime. It left around 5"-6" of head space, so to fill it to the top I bet you could it 12-14dz in 2.75-3gal of solution.

20231207_125034.jpg

Last edited:
10dz. water glassed today, plan is to let em sit until Feb/Mar before cracking the lid to try some for scrambled eggs. Then just pulling some each month to see how they do up to 1yr.

Got enough supplies to start another bucket in spring time if it works and noone is getting sick or complaining of taste. Used 2.5gal of distilled H2O + 12oz (weight) of lime. It left around 5"-6" of head space, so to fill it to the top I bet you could it 12-14dz in 2.75-3gal of solution.

View attachment 188773
Looking good! We do ours in glass gallon jars and they have made it a year with no problems.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You think the goose breasts from 2017 are still good? 😂

I'm burning up some PTO this week and next, and I've got a long list of chores. This one was right at the top. I have 5 total freezers to clean: This one, a chest freezer, the mini fridge freezer, the spare fridge freezer, and the main fridge freezer. Lots of frozen veggies for the chickens, some good candidates for dog food, and really only a small bit of waste, most of which were sky carp from the 17-18 season that got overlooked during the last clean out. Lots of stuff thawing out in the fridge for meals the next two weeks!

20231219_125623.jpg

20231219_131746.jpg

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Hope everyone's flock is doing well. All 10 of ours are still with us and I'm still letting them free roam 90% of the time. There's shit everywhere and they have found plenty of spots in the landscaping as was warned lol. Snow was a big no for em, and if it's below 20, they prefer to just hang out inside. Still feeding Kalmbach 17% crumbles, with a dose of Henhouse Reserve every day or so outside where I want em to scratch. Overall they seem happy and have been an easy add to date.

Egg output has been great, lowest day on the coldest/shortest days was 5, with an avg. of 7-8. Only 1 of the Barred Rock's has molted, was really surprised by that. They just at or over 1yr old as of 2/11.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Anyone else doing these on a regular basis? Looks like 30mins at 325, then peel, then 30mins for as low as you can get. My mouth is watering thinking of these.
nah haven't tried those but i can tell you my wife attempted to do hard boiled in the instant pot (her preferred method) with some of our water glassed ones from last fall.... it was an epic mess 🤣🤣🤣 (water glassing seals the pores and they explode)