Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Overall its landing between 75-80% survival rate for everything after the first 2 stages of planting and transplanting.

The 1st planting of corn at home has taken a hit by varmits, chewing off the tops.

2 of the big tomatoes got scorched after day 2 of being transplanted into the box.

Cherry tomatoes have been the hardest to grow. The 4 remaining are dwarfs lol. Plentty of leaves, just not taking off quite yet. Hoping another week or 2 they will and then I'll get them into the ground at the property. Of all grown, I would not have guessed them to be the most unsuccessful.

After discussing investing $500 into a fence at the property, we are just going to leave it open. We will take whatever critter loss that happens so we can learn what's there and plan accordingly when we figure out its permanent spot.
Don’t know if you already know this but if you plant your tomatoes at a slight angle...burying part of the stem, the stem will send out roots. As soon as the roots get established, the plant will take off. It’s just a trick to give the root system a quicker start.😊

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
after="Sgt Fury, post: 746984, member: 4778"]Don’t know if you already know this but if you plant your tomatoes at a slight angle...burying part of the stem, the stem will send out roots. As soon as the roots get established, the plant will take off. It’s just a trick to give the root system a quicker start.😊[/QUOTE]

Yep yep, I bury em deep and keep lower leaves pinched off. The 8 in the box all went through 2 transplantings, progressing from small seedling cups to garden box, getting buried deep each time. I was shocked to see the 2 get scortched but it is what it is. They are Box Car Wille and Celebration breeds.

The cherry tomatoes that are living have gone through the same grow classes as the above. Lost a lot at germination or soon after. Got a few back up in this last seed class.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Our garden sucks. Lost half a dozen plants or more in first few days. Just disappeared. Not nipped off the ends. Pulled right out of the ground. Rabbits?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
50D56FD5-4D2E-41D3-A740-F944C2B84F84.jpeg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I was over at property today and was happy to see the size and color, then I got closer. Almost all topped off in the middle and a dozen pulled and thrown about lol.

20200620_133814.jpg

The second planting at both locations have emerged and look good. Gonna be hard to put anything else in over there knowing its gonna get buzzed. Wife just looked at me and said, so I suppose you want to go spend that $ on a fence.......um, no, um well I mean what a waste lol.

I weeded for about a half hour yesterday. Man was it hot out and the skeeters tried to drain me dry so back in the house for a cold one it was. Definitely need to get going on weeding but everything looked great. Several tomatoes started and same with the peppers. My tomatoes and peppers I started later are getting big enough to plant soon. Should definitely spread the harvest out longer into summer as far behind as they are.

Question....what do you use for beans and cucumbers to climb on? Just a few strands of cord or should I use chicken wire or something else?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My garden is terrible this year. Between the poorly timed rain, my neighbor's septic drainage, and my super busy schedule, it's a far cry from what it has been in the past. But, there will be many more years to do it better. I clearly need to work on the soil over the winter, so that's where my mind is already. I'll be turning it over with a plow, discing, then adding lime and fertilizer before planting with a cover crop this fall.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
My garden is terrible this year. Between the poorly timed rain, my neighbor's septic drainage, and my super busy schedule, it's a far cry from what it has been in the past. But, there will be many more years to do it better. I clearly need to work on the soil over the winter, so that's where my mind is already. I'll be turning it over with a plow, discing, then adding lime and fertilizer before planting with a cover crop this fall.
I always put grass clippings on mine during the summer....it helps keep weeds down and holds moisture. After the season is over, I would till it under to put the nutrients from the grass back into the soil. My wife used to take some tomatoes to give to her coworkers and many said they were the best tasting tomatoes they’ve ever had....wanted to know my secret. I believe it had to do with good soil and the grass clippings.😊