Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

Bankfish

Potatoes starting to break the dirt. Onions are all doing well. Have about 30 tomatoes and 30 pepper plants in the ground here behind the house. Way more to go
20200503_120915.jpg
20200503_121026.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Did our 2nd planting of corn this past Thurs. 5/14, this time 5 rows at home, 18 each row = 90 plants.​
Checked the property garden for germination on the first round of corn and carrots there, planted Sunday 5/3. None have sprouted but they are germinated below ground. Hoping by end of weekend they start poking through.​
Seedlings of tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers are doing well. The last few days they have started on their first set of real leaves. I was getting nervous that just window light want enough as they were stuck at the initial 2-leaf germination stage. Gave em a little fertilizer and outside sun and they have perked up well.​

Last edited:
Put in 6 Early Girl tomatoes, 6 Roma’s, 3 beefsteak, 6 jalapeño, 3 hot Hungarian yellow peppers, 6 yellow Sweet banana peppers and 3 Anaheim peppers and 3 orange (green) peppers yesterday. Also two rows of peas this morning. Going to start a few more peppers and cherry tomatoes today in the house. Also have several raspberry bushes and blackberries to plant once they’re more acclimated to the outdoor temps as they were grown in a greenhouse.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Long, hot day of planting, but I about got it whipped. Still need to get my corn and onions in, plus another row of peppers (bells). Put in 42 maters in 8 different varieties, 42 peppers in 6 different varieties (14 more coming), corn, cucumbers, beans, peas, squash, and zucchini. Gotta get some fence up too. Definitely a little behind, which helps me with timing as it's using canning time when we go to the beach and I'll avoid that cluster this year. Should be getting the first goodies around July 4th.

IMG_20200517_182220_257.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got ours sprayed. It's a start. Wife bought plants last weekend. Thankfully it is much smaller and easier to manage than some of the gardens I'm seeing. You guys impress me. Ours is big enough to keep the Mrs happy. Small enough I can weed it. . .although every. Single. Freaking. Year. She says she will do it.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Got ours planted last week.
4'x24' raised bed.
Shovel turned it and added some cow crap and a couple bags of soil enrichment from the local nursery. Covered it with weed barrier cloth. My son cut holes in the weed barrier every 6-8" to allow water to soak through (we water with a soaker hose on a timer).

7 tomatoes - Cherokee purple, big rainbow, red cherries, some variant of a roma

5 cucumber, bush types

kids planted peas along the fence

some carrots, lettuce, a zucchini, squash

some sweet corn (have two starts from inside that are already 8-9" tall)

then down by the bees we planted some watermelons, pumpkins of different sizes, spaghetti squash and sunflowers

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not there yet but weeds died from spraying. It dried up. We tilled it and picked remaining weed carcass out. I'd like to top off the beds with some compost, plant, and top off with mulch. Wife already bought plants. After all of this we will put the drip irrigation in.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_145303.jpg
    IMG_20200524_145303.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20200524_145238.jpg
    IMG_20200524_145238.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 138

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Built my new, temporary annual enclosure today. I may run a stand of high tensile at 5' to tie flagging on later, but it'll work for now. Deer don't seem to come through here since my neighbor began restoring the abandoned house next to us, and I reclaimed the lot. I've been hard on the coon since moving back too, so this is as much for chickens and dogs as anything else. Gives me peace of mind that my time and sweat equity has some protection. I'll take it down between growing seasons to limit the eyesore.

20200525_183624.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had about a yard of top soil left from a job today. Topped off the raised beds. Then got dumped on with a nasty thunderstorm. No pics. Wife claims she is planting tomorrow. The over under is not in favor of her.

Reactions: 5Cent and Big_Holla