Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tips, tricks, practice, must buys, etc...

I haven't been a member that long. But I've read enough stuff from all these guys too know that they are all good people. Don't come into our brotherhood and start bashing people for the way they hunt. Any one of these guys on here would go out of their way too help another member, except you. You fugged up. Have a nice day, Duck Dynasty.[/QUOTE
I don't recall asking for help for anyone ???

Who's bashing who here ????

Ah I take guys under my wing and teach them the right way ever year.

I guess you missed where I gave back during turkey season to take a young man out that has cancer ,or the 3 New kids I got to take out on there first hunts this spring
Or that I volunteer my time at green wing events to educate youth about waterfowl for the last 10 years now .
or i host youth hunts for kid that want to get in to the sport .But you knew that right .
how about you what did you give back to the sport???
View attachment 23426

Man this dudes back has got to be sore from patting it himself! I have seen nothing (but) giving back from the TOO family, everything from advise, support when we are grieving, offering gear to get our young ones in the woods (at no charge!)and the promotion of friendship. I am proud to be a member and to come on and disrespect folks is BS! It seems that no matter where you go, or what you do there is always some pampas wind bag that knows it all. I'm an easy going person but you sir rub me the wrong way, take a hike FF!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
HA! Same here. Nothing like that right there!

No doubt......"We've got incoming!"........and like I said, I don't hunt waterfowl and that pic gave me wood! Gotta go with some of you fowlers sometime! Jesse, fire up the hibachi baby and I'll start cutting up taters and making sausage patties! Lol

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I don't waterfowl myself. Don't need another expensive hobby. But I kept seeing this old thread pop up in new posts. Figured something was up. If the GW was to write up everybody that disturbed snow setting up a spot. They would never get anything else done. Besides, how is anybody able to tell the difference between an actual feeding site and one that was made to look like one. Guy is just mad because he didn't think of it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I haven't been a member that long. But I've read enough stuff from all these guys too know that they are all good people. Don't come into our brotherhood and start bashing people for the way they hunt. Any one of these guys on here would go out of their way too help another member, except you. You fugged up. Have a nice day, Duck Dynasty.[/QUOTE
I don't recall asking for help for anyone ???

Who's bashing who here ????

Ah I take guys under my wing and teach them the right way ever year.

I guess you missed where I gave back during turkey season to take a young man out that has cancer ,or the 3 New kids I got to take out on there first hunts this spring
Or that I volunteer my time at green wing events to educate youth about waterfowl for the last 10 years now .
or i host youth hunts for kid that want to get in to the sport .But you knew that right .
how about you what did you give back to the sport???
View attachment 23426

I've been teaching a buddy of mine some things on deer hunting. I've hung stands for him, brushed in blinds for him, woke his ass up in the morning too hunt because his alarm didn't go off. Oh, and I bought my step daughter her first BB gun and bow because she has never met her dad and I'm proud to have that role. I'll also be taking a 14 year old kid on his first deer hunt this year because he don't have anyone else to take him. So.... Kiss my ass.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just so everyone is clear, FF has been banned for a week. If/When he decides to come back, it'll be on a 1" leash. Part of what makes this place function so smoothly is the lack of BS. We've been accused of "group think" and I say that's a fair assessment, but we do have our differences. This group knows how to express and discuss differences like adults. And when we agree, there are a bunch of us to agree! So if that is group think, so be it.

When it comes to situations where differences cannot be conveyed in a tactful and respectful manner, Joe and I look to you guys to speak up and let these kind of guys know what's up. Especially the "newer" members. We've gained a ton of great members in the last 18 months and you guys have earned, and deserve your say in how we maintain the culture around here. The aim is not to run people off who don't agree with the masses. Its to keep the assholes out because they can ruin a forum if left unattended to.

Just because this place exists on the internet for free, does not mean you're owed a spot here. I see TOO as a privilege, not a right.

AMiller

Every time I hunt in snowy cornfields, I pull a big sled filled with snow. That way if I kick any snow up, I have extra snow to fill in the holes I made. I thought this was standard practice!?!

Jim is right it is up to the discretion of the GW, but I highly doubt any GW would ever site you for clearing some snow to make it look like birds have been feeding there. This is as common as setting decoys and is a must if you want to have successful hunts.

This reminds me of a tip some friends in MD told me last year, but I am not sure if it is legal. They are bringing a bail of hay with them, and spreading it on top of the snow, to make it look like a large area of dry ground. And the birds come off the river and dive bomb strait in. I don’t think birds are feeding on hay/straw, so I am not sure if that is considered baiting. Any thoughts as to if this is legal?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I would think the act of bringing in an outside resource specifically to attract birds would make it illegal. I don't see disturbing snow, which you can't avoid, ever being deemed illegal.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Not sure about the hay either since it is not what was already in the field.

They do make corn pile decoys you could add to a field. Corn cobs and dome shaped piles made of what looks like vinyl could be set out in different spots among the decoy spread. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to make your own either.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would thing a garbage bag of leaves spread out would look pretty good from a birds eye view and not be considered baiting but I'm not a water fowler or WO either. It would be light to carry in I would think.

Last edited:
I would thing a garbage bag of leaves spread out would look pretty good from a birds eye view and not be considered baiting but I'm not a water fowler or WO either. It would be light to carry in I would thing!

Screw that.....a wood chipper and a few bushels of cobbed corn........ohhh.....wait a minute.........isn't that how this all got started?!?! LOL

That actually sounds like a good idea FS!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just take a yellow plastic chain and toss it out. Makes it look like spread out corn kernels. Cut 2 1/2" PVC into 4,6,8" pcs and spray paint it yellow and toss it out.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here's a tip: Clean your gun every so often 😂

I have put this Benelli through the ringer and other than my maintenance of it, old COB would be proud of would of the pile of birds its killed over the years. Dropped the first round in it this morning, dropped the bolt and it was clear she need cleaned today. Sat in the rain for 4 hours, so it left me no choice really. If I'm being honest, it hasn't been cleaned since 2019, maybe 2018, which was a good 500 rounds ago. But that's not the record. Pretty sure I went over 1K rounds between cleanings once 😂 I literally had to scrape gunk off with a screw driver before I could actually clean it...

My lack of care aside, Benellis go "boom" when you pull the trigger. Only had one duck work the spread today and he took a full load of #1s to the chest as he coasted into the hole landing gear down. 😎

20210101_125641.jpg