Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Silver Lab Debate...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Inferior is a strong word, but I get what your asking. And no, traditionally, lighter "white" colored labs are not under the same scrutiny genetically speaking as are silver. Totally different set of genetic circumstances that lead to the coat color. My only issue with Lulu, who is about as white as it gets, is that she sheds unbelievably bad. Her skin is healthy, but shit, it's a nonstop supply of white hair around here!
Got ya.
I was just curious and thought I would ask. I'll have to do more looking and reading. Thanks for the info buddy.

I hear ya about the white hair all over lol. Mine doesn't do too bad about the hair but it gets bad when he's stressed lol. We have found he is allergic to something because he itches a lot. Had to put him on a steroid for now. We'll have to test him at some point. Can't keep him on that for very long.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
CB70AB54-1D5E-40D8-ACC2-368E70EDEE6E.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
J, I have not tried the Furminator. Pretty sure I acted as one a few times in my younger days, but I'll need to Google that to see what I'm missing!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
J, I have not tried the Furminator. Pretty sure I acted as one a few times in my younger days, but I'll need to Google that to see what I'm missing!
The furminator is great. I own one. But it's not the solution. Use any brush on a dog with a shedding problem and you can spend a long time brushing them...it seems to never end. The solution is a new diet for the dog. Reduce rate of shedding first, brush dog second.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
The furminator is great. I own one. But it's not the solution. Use any brush on a dog with a shedding problem and you can spend a long time brushing them...it seems to never end. The solution is a new diet for the dog. Reduce rate of shedding first, brush dog second.

Diet, diet, diet.
We have been feeding Blue Buffalo for several years. Never had a problem with Herc but he is a foo-foo Goldendoodle. Now that we have Gracie we are adjusting diet to see if we can reduce shedding.

We just changed them both over to Wildology. It's a new food that is supposedly better than. Blue and less expensive to boot. We are trying it out to see if it helps. Trying the farm raised salmon one to get as much Omega's and good fat. We shall see.

Reactions: jagermeister

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wish I still had the picture from my old phone. I had a picture of the paper on one of the walker hounds George and I ended up with. I think his name was JT or TJ or something like that. Anyways, both of his patients were finished out grand night champs with over 40k in lifetime earnings. This fucking dog however was the most retarded counterfeit shit brain i've ever handled on a lead. One evening we threw this dog out of the box on a tree where a good dog was already treed. This jackass runs around the tree like a retard and then takes off across a field. I run up to the field and could hear some other dogs in a woodblock about a half mile away. After we got the other dog loaded we drive over there to find the other hunters already gone. Custom is to tie the dog to a tree and leave. They obviously stole the dog, likely after reading the owners name collar thinking they had another dog of his that was known far and wide.

We laughed all the way home thinking about how these old boys thought they struck gold and ended up with a worthless shit brain. Ended up helping me out because odds are that dog wasn't heading back to the kennel that night anyway. I often think of that night and still laugh. I bet they kept him under cover for a few weeks and then took him on a hunt only to find that he was a complete waste of food.

Been staying out of this for the most part. As far as brains being purebred or mutt has no effect on this in my opinion. With purebred knowing the lineage of the dog can help for breeding purposes when trying to keep or get rid of certain traits. Actually in coonhounds there has some been some powerful reproducing dogs that were "single registered" dogs. In other words their parents were not registered dogs. Certain breeds are bred for certain characteristics. However than can be a huge range in ability in those dogs. For example some beagles are very slow like brace bred dogs all the way up to hare bred dogs that are extremely fast track dogs. I could go on and on.

I have had many coonhounds and beagles over the years. I have hunted with some really good dogs that weren't registered and some really goods ones that were registered. Same goes for the bad ones.

I will say that I would take a dog with brains and not as much natural ability vs a dog with tons of natural ability and no brains. The smart dog will make a better dog everytime. When you get both then you have something special.