Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Official Camper and Camping Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lots of texts and FB messages back and forth lately checking out campers. Lots of debate about new vs. used in terms of paying cash and potentially inheriting issues, or buying new with warranty and peace of mind. Our local RV shop is a Jayco dealer, so we stopped today to look at the 2021 Jayco 287BHS. Super nice unit and after running some #s, it's more than doable based on my convo with their financial person. Just boils down to our commitment to make it a lifestyle and for my wife to agree to do the beach semiannually. If we do that, it's effectively a wash $ wise, which sits much better with me.

Sleeping on it for a night and we'll decide in the AM. Sure would be nice to dry run it at Strouds!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Awwww yeah! Get that book out on the truck tho, that unit is 700lbs tongue weight dry. That doesn't include batteries or full lp tanks. Add in weight of receiver and you could be pushing 900-975lbs at 13% TW. That's gonna put the rear axle rating real close and technically no wiggle room for anything in the bed.

Can it be done, yep! Will it work in the #'s, pull onto a scale if that close. Will it be fun to pull, or a pleasurable driving experience....maybe. Gonna be dependent on how ya load it, where its axles are located along with the tanks and the type/caliber of WDH you get. Will it be fun in the hills of SE Ohio, nope. Be thinking of a 3/4 ton if you pull the trigger and see some miles on it in the future. You'll want coolers, wood, kids bikes, etc........happy shopping and sweet camping dreams tonight🤟

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm upgrading to a Tundra or an F250 in the next 6 months. I'll borrow dad's 2500 for anything serious until then. The big reason I'm keen on the financing option is it preserves by down payment on the truck, meaning I can upgrade for the same payment and if we eliminate a beach trip every other year, we can do the camper thing for "free".

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. It's gonna complain, but it's only a 15 minute drive home from the dealer, so we can at least manage that! I've been seriously shopping for trucks and am prepared to make the switch when it makes sense. Tough market though.

Reactions: 5Cent and Dustinb80

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure Jesse knows this but I will post for anyone else following along who may not know.

When talking tongue weight, axle positions, and load, this does not mean to load everything on the tail of the trailer to offset the tongue weight. Many campers and trailers have lost control by being loaded tail heavy. It can be ugly. When I was an EMT, I witnessed first hand a camper that lost it. Never determined if improper weight distribution hitch set up, tail heavy, or other reason. End result was not good. Do your homework. Load over the axles. Educate on hitches.

I know this has been discussed on TOO before. An occasional reminder is never a bad thing.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Definitely a good reminder, Phil. I'm a rookie tower, so I'll definitely be very cautious.

Survey says I have a Plan A and Plan B acceptable deal for the dealer. Tracie is off tomorrow, so we'll see what we can get done. 😎
How many campers and dealers did y'all check?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How many campers and dealers did y'all check?

Physically, we have been in a few dozen since May at the 3 dealers here locally, as well as those of friends and private owners who were selling. I've seen a few dozen more online at various dealers. This unit is almost identical to Adam's, so it's a familiar commodity. The dealer is very reputable and the price is as good as I've seen in my shopping.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Exciting times. Best of luck in your negotiations. I think we are about out of the camper business. Kids moving on to bigger things. Your kids are at perfect ages to get many years of enjoyment out of a camper!