Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Maumee River was on Fire Today!

My neighbor and I headed to the Maumee area, this morning and got started fishing around 7:25 a.m. The bites were slow starting, then it turned on quickly and next thing we know...nearly everyone was catching walleyes. Everyone except me. :ROFLMAO: Fishing that river is strange, to say the least. My neighbor was 10' upstream of me and he was on fire. We were using the same jigs, weights, lines, etc. and he was limited out in a short period of time. We drove to the Maumee Tackle shop to get his fish filleted out, ate lunch and went back. I ended up catching 3 walleye, but had to release 2 that were foul hooked. :rolleyes:

As soon as I caught my first walleye, the sun went out. :unsure: I certainly hope I don't have to wait for that event again, before catching another walleye. :sneaky:

There were a couple of guys standing in the line waiting to get their fish filleted, that were holding some "tank" walleye. The guy with the shaved head and beard is holding one dandy, that was 27" long and weighed 10#. The guy in the black jacket was holding a 25" walleye that weighed 8#. Both were respectable fish! :cool:
Walleye 1.jpg

Walleye 2.jpg

Walleye 4.jpg

Walleye 6.jpg

Walleye 5.jpg

Typical Maumee River stuff today. :rolleyes: I couldn't buy a walleye.
This is the first river fishing that I've done in many many years....and it sucks. The ups and downs and total frustration of losing so many jigs and ending up with 1 walleye. :cautious: To each their own, but I'm more inclined to go trolling out of my kayak. I definitely spend less money on lures, don't get nearly as frustrated from losing so many lures and catch more fish. :unsure: I can't honestly remember the last time I lost a lure, while fishing out of a kayak.

3 of us went fishing at the Maumee, today and we ended up with 1 walleye each. The rest of the time we were catching shad, suckers and carp.

Reactions: Big_Holla