Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The 65 Project

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow. This thread got lost on me. Guess it is time for an update. I have done no major improvements. My pine trees are doing well. Another 5-10yrs and they will be wonderful bedding. Our apple trees were crap last year due to my lack in spraying. This year we sprayed them and they are looking great. Haven't seen a lot of other human activity in my woods but in a month (week before season opens) I am sure it will change. It has been too wet to accomplish much this year. I managed to clear out some garbage at the east end (entry point) of my woods in the last few weeks. I used some to level some low spots and threw some clover seed down not expecting great results. The last couple of days I dug out some huge gravel from someone's driveway. Hauled it over to make a base for future drive expansion. I also used one of the backhoes to dig out dirt to make their driveway larger. I took the dirt over to the 5 property and dumped it. Today, I got over and leveled it out. Clover is not crazy growing, but it is consistent in it's growth where I put the seed down. I'll take it. Probably need to do a good frost seed next spring as well. Then I can spray to kill some of the grasses. Only other thing I have done is slowly build up the paths on the entry points into my woods. This is going to take years and years at the rate I am going. Fine by me. I have time on my side.

Hunting season will tell me more about any changes on the property. So far this spring/summer I am getting a couple bucks with some regularity on camera. I only have one camera here and know I should place another on the east end of the woods. Last fall there were trees torn to pieces up there. Hopefully we don't see as much hunting pressure. I believe there is corn to the west of my property by the tree house. This should prove to be an excellent combination with the number of oak trees I have.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is a shot of the extended driveway and some of the trees on the right.
uploadfromtaptalk1440304162907.jpg

Some clover popping up.
uploadfromtaptalk1440304755190.jpg

Pictures of the area I cleared out and leveled more dirt. This has been a low spot at the entrance to my woods since I have owned it.
uploadfromtaptalk1440304900650.jpg

Same place standing as last picture. A view of my neighbor's overgrown prairie like property. You can see where my pine trees will compliment this area nicely down the road. Only issue? It will cut off access to stands for me.
uploadfromtaptalk1440305070341.jpg

This view is from the area I leveled tonight. To the right (along edge of the woods) you can see a darker green area. This is where I spread some composted mulch in low areas and planted the clover. You can also see my neighbor's overgrown property and I think a few of the pine trees on our property.

uploadfromtaptalk1440305151816.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Damn Phil, you put in some work. It looks good!

Thanks Chad. I think you are underestimating having a 75hp Bobcat (or three) at your disposal. I admire you busting your butt with the hand tools to put in plots and such. Clearing the area out happened earlier. Brought in some dirt (3 loads). Leveled it out. The only hand work you see is spreading some clover seed. Wouldn't have put seed down, but noticed the container busted open in my car. Since this isn't a customer job I find it relaxing and a way to clear my mind. What I get done is what I get done. No rush. No time line. Just an hour here and an hour there. I am fortunate to have the equipment available when needed.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great work Phil. From my limited experience with clover, it's referred to as next year's crop. Being clover puts down a root system the 1st season and really grows and spreads the 2nd season. However I did a frost freeze sowing in late March this year on 2 new patches and some of it is knee high now and some is 1". I need to get over and spread some fertilizer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good work Phil! I'm trying to picture in my head where on 65 you are at.
Between Hume and Amherst on west side of road. Building sits off the road. Houses on either side sit closer to the road than my building. One property south of Bob Davis Dynamic Signs. That help? Or should I just give you the address? Lol. Not like there are any mature bucks in there I am worried about.

I agree Frank. I have planted clover there in the past. Just top dressing some areas I unearthed. Truly need to spray the grass and let the clover take over. Just haven't done it. Then I would need to partition off this section with some markers so my boys or employees don't mow it down.

Last edited:
Between Hume and Amherst on west side of road. Building sits off the road. Houses on either side sit closer to the road than my building. One property south of Bob Davis Dynamic Signs. That help? Or should I just give you the address? Lol. Not like there are any mature bucks in there I am worried about.

I agree Frank. I have planted clover there in the past. Just top dressing some areas I unearthed. Truly need to spray the grass and let the clover take over. Just haven't done it. Then I would need to partition off this section with some markers so my boys or employees don't mow it down.

I know the area. No need for an address I was just curious. I have plenty of good property.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't care. Come hunt it if you want. Dan "Bowhunter57" hunted it one year with his brother. Said he felt like he was in a war zone. Darn shame. The area is awesome for good bucks. Simply too much pressure.

I have stated it before but will say it again: glad I bought it for the building, the hunting isn't very impressive. Less than a mile from Stahler farm on McClain (as the crow flies). Potential is crazy. It is simply ruined from dipsticks who don't have a clue about respect for property lines nor a clue about how to hunt.

I don't care. Come hunt it if you want. Dan "Bowhunter57" hunted it one year with his brother. Said he felt like he was in a war zone. Darn shame. The area is awesome for good bucks. Simply too much pressure.

I have stated it before but will say it again: glad I bought it for the building, the hunting isn't very impressive. Less than a mile from Stahler farm on McClain (as the crow flies). Potential is crazy. It is simply ruined from dipsticks who don't have a clue about respect for property lines nor a clue about how to hunt.

Your right that is an area for good bucks. It's a damn shame about people raping it. Maybe some day with the work you are putting into it and if you can keep the local buttholes out of it, you may have a hot spot. What did Dan mean by a war zone?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Took a drive last night both deer scouting and to see which lawns we needed to mow today. Pulled into the 65 drive to check the lawn. I stopped around 150yds from the woods at the top of my drive. I see a fawn. Still sitting there with headlights on and car idling I see another fawn pop out. I knew momma wasn't far away. Then she appeared with a nice surprise: Third fawn. I had trail camera pics of them earlier in the year. Good to see they are hanging around. Once they moved through I drove on back to the edge of the woods to check on the clover. It is popping up quite nicely. Hopefully it continues to fill in.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Your property sounds like my farm as it's just a pass through location and with food plots planted it draws deer to the property. With the food plot drawing deer to your property it does make it easier for the neighbors to shoot them sad to say. But keep at it for the long term.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Took some pics on Wednesday. Been busy. Finally a chance to post them up.

Got some weeds, but the clover is doing well. I'll let it fill out and deal with weeds later.