Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stevens 2023 Turkey

The fog was heavy this morning, so I thought it would be a good day to see some turkeys out in the field. I could hear them gobbling from their roost trees, at 6:10, until they hit the ground around 6:35. I was wide eyed until around 7ish and then I started "cat napping". :sneaky: My eyes popped open at 8:15 and as I looked around in the fog, I seen 3 toms strutting about 100 yards to the north, already out in the field. This is a picked bean field from last year, along a couple of small creeks.

I watched them as the approached my decoys from the north. I setup a half strut jake attempting to mount a hen and 2 other hens, about 20 feet away. When the toms get close to the decoys, I notice it's 2 jakes and a longbeard. The jakes walked right into the decoys and pecked the ground as the past by, but the longbeard kept his distance....a solid 25 yards further. 🙄 I waited him out, knowing the distance on this shotgun's patterns were approximately 25 yards. 🤔 After a good 40 minutes of him strutting around (he never gobbled once), he finally approached the decoys from the south, but I knew the distance was a bit more than I wanted. Even so, he was clear, so I put the bead on his noggin and squeezed the trigger. He dropped like a sack of taters! :cool: ....and the jakes instantly started pecking and spurring him. o_O I quickly reloaded, just in case he got up, but he wasn't going anywhere. I jumped up and started toward the downed tom and the jakes decided it was time to hit the road. :ROFLMAO:

I'm very happy with the performance of this old family heirloom of a shotgun. This weapon was most likely made before I was born. A Stevens 12 gauge with a 2 3/4 chamber, a 30" barrel with a measured .695" constriction. One Federal 1 1/4 oz. of #6s, at 1330 fps, got the job done....at 33 yards. 💯 8:55 a.m.
A 10" beard and 1 1/4" spurs.
AT13.jpg

BT9.jpg

DT6.jpg

ET11.jpg

FT12.jpg

Knelly

Congrats!
I actually have the same gun that was handed down to me from a family friend. He's still with us but getting up there in age and not able to turkey hunt any longer. It's now kept at our cabin. He's killed a pile of birds over the years with it.
I've thought about taking it out the last few seasons but haven't yet. Maybe this year...

Congrats!
I actually have the same gun that was handed down to me from a family friend. He's still with us but getting up there in age and not able to turkey hunt any longer. It's now kept at our cabin. He's killed a pile of birds over the years with it.
I've thought about taking it out the last few seasons but haven't yet. Maybe this year...
Thanks! :)
Do it!!! It's a great feeling to take a bird with such an old weapon. 💯
A good hunting buddy of mine shot a jake this past Sunday with a double barreled muzzleloader (an original). I thought that was pretty cool. :cool:

Reactions: Knelly
Just picked up my Euro skull from Chad Roberts, in Rising Sun, Ohio. This is the second one he's done for me and at $20, he does a fine job. 👍 He uses beetles and peroxide to finish cleaning afterwards. 💯
The one on the right is from this year's tom. The one on the left is a 2021 tom.
Euro Skull 2023.jpg

This is the 2021 tom. He was very old, maybe 5 years or more and definitely on the downhill side of his life.
He was just over 25 lbs. and had very thin beard strands.
Euro Turkey 3.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just picked up my Euro skull from Chad Roberts, in Rising Sun, Ohio. This is the second one he's done for me and at $20, he does a fine job. 👍 He uses beetles and peroxide to finish cleaning afterwards. 💯
The one on the right is from this year's tom. The one on the left is a 2021 tom.
View attachment 179156
This is the 2021 tom. He was very old, maybe 5 years or more and definitely on the downhill side of his life.
He was just over 25 lbs. and had very thin beard strands.
View attachment 179157
That cool on the bird euros, never knew of anyone having one done or anyone doing those!👍🏻

Reactions: Bowhunter57
Another "update": I've always been curious about the age of this Stevens shotgun and figured it was older than myself.
As it turns out, there are no serial number records for this shotgun, but there is a model number.....107B. It was made between 1920 to 1940, in Chicopee Falls, MA, at the J.Stevens Arms & Tool Company.
This is good enough information, for my knowledge.

Reactions: brock ratcliff