Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

RIP Mr Tough Guy

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
IMG_9069.jpeg

Scrolling through some online photos going down memory (or lack of) lane. Seeing this picture and it pretty well sums his player ability up…..

I know there is one out there where he talked about putting a skirt on the Q.B.s also!

Being 40 in the 1900's afforded me the pleasure of watching guys like him in real time. Living equal distance, roughly from Cleveland, Buffalo and Pittsburgh also helps.

Mike Curtis, Ray Nitschke, Mean Joe Green, Jack Tatum (hit them so hard you make a snot bubble), Jack Lambert, Deacon Jones, and a pile of others and I had their Football cards as well. My first foray into organized football was when I was 9. My coach back then was like Ditka and we seldom lost. That was in the 1960's by the way...

Most of you weren't even a gleam in your father's eyes yet!

Reactions: GoetsTalon

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not just anyone played football back then! You were a different type of human! I miss that game 😂
Said part about it was, they made less in a season than players make in a game these days…..
Butkus tore ligaments in his knee in high school, and played through that until he was in his 2/3 season in the NFL….

Back then they cured your concussion with smelling salts. They broke that little glass cylinder under your nose and made you take a couple of deep sniffs!
Might miss one or 2 plays is all. Funny how I can't remember what I did yesterday but remember the 60's and 70's like they were a few minutes ago!
Um...except for about half of a number of football games I played in. You know it was a good hit when you saw a brilliant white flash and the stars for a moment. The best hit's though you could actually taste!

You either know what I'm talking about or you skipped Gym class and played in the Marching Band...