Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Raccoon trapping bait

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Using the duke dog proof style. Have had great success with bits of cheap hot dog in the past. But with freezing temps it doesn't seem very effective.

Trying to get the numbers down for turkeys and the fact I'm planning on having chickens this summer.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The one came in a kit with the setting tool and a cover and some bait that looked like dry cat food. It didn't do anything for the week or so I had it out there. The cut up hot dog was working good until the really cold weather hit. I guess I'm gonna find some mini marshmallows.

Also, when you dispatch the raccoon, do they always act like they are having a seizure when you pop them in the head with 22LR?

Reactions: jagermeister

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The one came in a kit with the setting tool and a cover and some bait that looked like dry cat food. It didn't do anything for the week or so I had it out there. The cut up hot dog was working good until the really cold weather hit. I guess I'm gonna find some mini marshmallows.

Also, when you dispatch the raccoon, do they always act like they are having a seizure when you pop them in the head with 22LR?
Solid or hollow point?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'll have to check. Its happened when I've dropped them with my rifles in the head but with these traps I'm just using a pistol with mini mags.
Base of the head with hollow points and I’ve not seen anything like what you’ve posted.

THe other thing is while coons don't hibernate, they will not move much when the weather gets really nasty this time of the year. The males will be starting to go into their "rut" here in February.

Pretty common for them to kick around alot when you shoot them in the head from my experience.

Reactions: CJD3 and RedCloud