Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Purchased Another Kayak

I went to the BPS in Rossford to spend the $25 gift card that I got for x-mass. Then stumbled upon an Ascend FS10 kayak, that was the same price as a Perception 10.5 Sound kayak, that I'd been eyeballing at Dunham's Sports. They are both $499, but the Ascend has so many more features for fishing, that it was an easy choice over the Perception. :unsure: Turns out, that Club Members (Cabelas/Bass Pro Visa card holders) get an additional $100.01 off of the listed price. (y) Plus, I had about $4 in points built up. All the discounts let me walk out the door with the kayak for $399.25, my cost. :cool:
I'll get the Ohio Alternative license sticker for my kayak. It's only $5 more, at $25, for one sticker that goes on the inside right side of the kayak, it's well worth it. 💯 I pick it up tomorrow, on my way back from an archery shoot in Temperance, Michigan.
Here's a factory photo of the FS10.
FS10.jpg

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Looks like a nice unit , I've never fished from a kayak but looks like it'd be very handy. I always wanted one of those floating fishing chairs where your feet hang in the water to float the local rivers . I might start looking into local kayaks for me an my son. He shows alot of interest in hunting until push comes to shove but he loves fishing and this would be a great idea for us on local ponds and streams

@ThatBuckeyeGuy
I highly recommend a kayak over a canoe. The stability is much better in a kayak. 💯
S.O.T. (sit on top) kayaks are handy for rivers or if you're getting in and out a lot. Otherwise, I prefer a sit inside kayak, as they're more protective of getting cold, sun burnt, bug bit and wet from paddle strokes, fish splashes, etc.

Make sure you get a kayak with a good seat, as it will make all the difference in how long and comfortably you can fish. Also, get a roto molded type of plastic, because they can be welded for repairs. Brands like Pelican, Water Quest, Sun Dolphin are not the softer, repairable type of plastic. (n)🚫

I catch more fish and bigger fish, in a kayak. (y)
I don't get ate up by bugs and don't get bothered by people on the bank. :unsure:
....and yes, they are extremely handy for getting in waters that are not accessible to larger boats or that are inaccessible to be fished from the bank. :cool: I've fished some large farm ponds that held football sized bass and bluegills that fought like largemouth bass.
This is a 15 1/2" black crappie that I caught near Bellefontaine, Ohio, that I swore was a bass, until I landed him. Easy public access with permission and it's over 20' deep. :)
15 inch black crappie.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks awesome man. What does it have for flotation? I noticed it has the scoop in the back like my old one did. The only flotation it had was a little maybe half gallon airtight ballon in the very front of the bow. When I rolled it duck hunting and it filled with water it was basically neutrally buoyant. I could push it completely underwater with one finger so there was no way I could use it for flotation

• Sad
Reactions: Bowhunter57 and "J"
Looks awesome man. What does it have for flotation? I noticed it has the scoop in the back like my old one did. The only flotation it had was a little maybe half gallon airtight ballon in the very front of the bow. When I rolled it duck hunting and it filled with water it was basically neutrally buoyant. I could push it completely underwater with one finger so there was no way I could use it for flotation
I'll take a closer look tomorrow, when I pick it up and let you know. :unsure:
I used to a lot of whitewater kayaking and I know there are nose and bow bags that serve as buoyancy and storage. I had one in a couple of my prior fishing kayaks. They serve the purpose and do double duty for carrying extra/dry clothes too. 💯(y)

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
@ThatBuckeyeGuy
I highly recommend a kayak over a canoe. The stability is much better in a kayak. 💯
S.O.T. (sit on top) kayaks are handy for rivers or if you're getting in and out a lot. Otherwise, I prefer a sit inside kayak, as they're more protective of getting cold, sun burnt, bug bit and wet from paddle strokes, fish splashes, etc.

Make sure you get a kayak with a good seat, as it will make all the difference in how long and comfortably you can fish. Also, get a roto molded type of plastic, because they can be welded for repairs. Brands like Pelican, Water Quest, Sun Dolphin are not the softer, repairable type of plastic. (n)🚫

I catch more fish and bigger fish, in a kayak. (y)
I don't get ate up by bugs and don't get bothered by people on the bank. :unsure:
....and yes, they are extremely handy for getting in waters that are not accessible to larger boats or that are inaccessible to be fished from the bank. :cool: I've fished some large farm ponds that held football sized bass and bluegills that fought like largemouth bass.
This is a 15 1/2" black crappie that I caught near Bellefontaine, Ohio, that I swore was a bass, until I landed him. Easy public access with permission and it's over 20' deep. :)
View attachment 191373
Very informative thank you! Also that's one hell of a crappie!

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll take a closer look tomorrow, when I pick it up and let you know. :unsure:
I used to a lot of whitewater kayaking and I know there are nose and bow bags that serve as buoyancy and storage. I had one in a couple of my prior fishing kayaks. They serve the purpose and do double duty for carrying extra/dry clothes too. 💯(y)

Mine didn't have any dry storage except for a removable dry storage pod that went in the back bunker. Other than that it didn't have any sealed compartments except a small 1/2 gallon plastic flotation bag in the bow that wasn't accessible. Yours looks to be molded the same. I think it's only purpose was to keep the bow above water if it filled with water. Once filled none of it would stick above the water except the very nose and it would go under super easy. No biggie just know that you won't be able to rely in it to float if you dump it, and if it has sinkable things attached, or inside it like a small anchor then it will likely sink if dumped.

Once filled none of it would stick above the water except the very nose and it would go under super easy. No biggie just know that you won't be able to rely in it to float if you dump it, and if it has sinkable things attached, or inside it like a small anchor then it will likely sink if dumped.
Forewarned is forearmed. (y) I will be purchasing some floatation bags for this one, as soon as possible. I want to hit some bigger lakes with this one, in hopes of catching some muskie, northern pike or some larger striped bass. 💯 Traveling out of state may be in my future. :cool:

Reactions: ThatBuckeyeGuy

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve owned several kayaks over the years and they are great for getting into hard to reach spots…not only for fishing but you can get back into some tight places for duck hunting TOO. A buddy of mine has that same kayak that you purchased and he takes it out in the back bays flounder fishing.

@Jackalope
I brought it home today and took a peek inside the hull. There's some sprayed foam that's about 12 to 14 inches thick in both ends of the kayak. I'd say that's their attempt at "flotation foam". :rolleyes: I still intend to get some dry bag/flotation bags installed in both ends for some serious "anti-sink" protection. (y)

I'd like to hit some big water for muskie and northern pike, but even so, I don't intend to venture more than a hundred yards offshore. I've had some conversations with others that have been on Lake Erie and they've told me that it ain't the lake, it's the assholes on the lake that you have to worry about. :mad: Clearfork has the state record for muskie....or it did for many years. I may have to give it a shot and see how the fishing is over there. :unsure:
Ascend FS10.jpg

JARHEAD

Behind you
Many rivers that in Ohio you may want to look at also. I'm not a kayak fishermen myself but I might be if you're succesfull. Is there a way to attach an anchor for fishing in high current situations?

OO2

In the Uplands
Used to take my sit-on top kayak up to south bass island on the ferry in college. Plenty safe to stay on the leeward side of the island and fish for walleye and smallies.

I had to empty my old sit in kayak a couple times when the jet express came by fishing around Gibraltar. Enjoy!

Reactions: Isaacorps
Many rivers that in Ohio you may want to look at also. I'm not a kayak fishermen myself but I might be if you're succesfull. Is there a way to attach an anchor for fishing in high current situations?
I'm not a fan of river fishing. (n) The current is something I don't care to fight against. Kayaks have the option of an anchor trolley that allows the kayak to be anchored towards the front or the back. This allows the angler to face in the direction he/she wants to fish. It works equally well in windy situations. A 5 lb. rubber coated dumbbell works great for an anchor, because they don't get hung up on stuff and weighs enough to hold the kayak in place. :cool:

Eastern and Southern Ohio has better/cleaner rivers, than where I'm located, in N.W. Ohio. That's the main reason why I don't fish rivers. Around this section of the state, the water is always filthy dirty, stirred up and muddy bottomed. It's rare to find a calm day to fish a river in this area and it not be all muddy, stained and nasty looking. :cautious:(n)

Last edited:
Reactions: JARHEAD

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
You can see the trolley running along the top of the kayak on the right side. Never used in the river but works great in the marsh.
IMG_20220724_110531857_HDR.jpg
Some go full length mine is only half.

I made a rod rack out of PVC, to hold a Berkley 4-rod holder, that I attached to it and it slips right into the existing factory rod holders. (y) The trolling rod holders have a base that stays in the rails, which is nicer than ones that I've previously owned. :) The only thing keeping off of the water today, are these high winds. :cautious:
I purchased the Alternative License, which is nice....1 sticker and it's inside. :cool: Never gets scraped off and it being out of sight looks less "tacky" than all those numbers.
FS10 B.jpg

FS10 D.jpg

FS10 E.jpg

FS10 Z.jpg