Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pattern test.

Huckleberry Finn

Think of it not as a group of shot. But as independent groups all holding deferent patterns at different yardages. Instead of being ok out to 40. You're good out to 70. But if you're good out to 70 with number just a single load of number 5s. You're going to be In trouble at 20. That is unless you have 7s stacked up front to expand sooner. This image may help.

View attachment 20554

Gotcha, and yes that is a helpful graphic.

Was watching on GrowingDeer.tv they were patterning a load from Winchester called the Longbeard XR and that by far looks to be THE load this year.

Picked up a box today.21$ out the door for 10 rds..Im going to see how they pattern out of my old 24in ported barrel Mossberg 835/Ulti-full .695 choke combo. uploadfromtaptalk1396740251007.jpg

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_20140406_113928.jpgI took advantage of a beautiful morning and did a pattern test. First was my trusty rem 3 inch nitro #5 at 40 yards. It put 91 pellets in the 10 inch circle. The second was the new xr long beards from Winchester, they were number 4 shot. The pattern is damn tight with 105 pellets in the ten inch circle. The thing I don't know about is how tight the long beards would be at say 15 yards. What's your guys opinion. Theses were shot out of a 870 with a hasting 34inch wadlock barrel with a coke tube of .640

Treed

Stark County
I just picked up a couple boxes of the Long Beard XR in No. 6 shot. I'm curious to see what they do at various ranges. If you're around Stark Co. and you want some, Kames has the 3" for $20.00 a box and the 3 1/2s for $22.00 or $24.00 cant remember which.

View attachment 20672I took advantage of a beautiful morning and did a pattern test. First was my trusty rem 3 inch nitro #5 at 40 yards. It put 91 pellets in the 10 inch circle. The second was the new xr long beards from Winchester, they were number 4 shot. The pattern is damn tight with 105 pellets in the ten inch circle. The thing I don't know about is how tight the long beards would be at say 15 yards. What's your guys opinion. Theses were shot out of a 870 with a hasting 34inch wadlock barrel with a coke tube of .640
Shoot one at 15yards an post your results please..Most reports are saying these loads like less constriction than alot of other lead loads..
I just picked up a couple boxes of the Long Beard XR in No. 6 shot. I'm curious to see what they do at various ranges. If you're around Stark Co. and you want some, Kames has the 3" for $20.00 a box and the 3 1/2s for $22.00 or $24.00 cant remember which.
Same price at buckeye outdoors is anyone around my area is looking for them.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

View attachment 20672I took advantage of a beautiful morning and did a pattern test. First was my trusty rem 3 inch nitro #5 at 40 yards. It put 91 pellets in the 10 inch circle. The second was the new xr long beards from Winchester, they were number 4 shot. The pattern is damn tight with 105 pellets in the ten inch circle. The thing I don't know about is how tight the long beards would be at say 15 yards. What's your guys opinion. Theses were shot out of a 870 with a hasting 34inch wadlock barrel with a coke tube of .640

Damn! I felt like my 28" barrel was long.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Shoot one at 15yards an post your results please..Most reports are saying these loads like less constriction than alot of other lead loads..

I thought about the restriction deal. I will put my other turkey choke in and try them, its .655. And at 15 yards I would say they would be one big 5 in hole lol, I will let you know. I also wonder what the 6s would do at 40. I would say they would be great with a scoped gun but I'm not sold on them. All the birds I've killed none have been over 18 yards.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pretty damn good pattern with the XR at 40, especially with only 1 3/4 oz of shot. Looks like your rem loads did the same as the ones I've ever shot. Spread out like crazy and pepper the whole bird. Lol.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Pretty damn good pattern with the XR at 40, especially with only 1 3/4 oz of shot. Looks like your rem loads did the same as the ones I've ever shot. Spread out like crazy and pepper the whole bird. Lol.

Lol yep always gotta pick pellets out of the breast. I don't know if that's a bad thing though. I shoot open bead . I would say a scoped gun would be deadly with the xr s but I'm just concerned about the birds inside the 20 yard range. I believe it would be easy to miss with the xrs but the rem loads will pattern wide enough to get in the goodies.

yotehunter

spencerville oh

IMG_20140411_164328.jpgI tried the xrs at 20 and I would say they are in trouble these are 4s with the same choke tube. From what I could count over 148 pellets.

Mossberg 835/24inch ported barrel
Gobble-Stopper Extreme ported choke(.695)
Winchester LongBeard XR 3inch/6s
Laser ranged 30yards/ Outside temp 65 degrees/North wind @8mph blowing from muzzle to target

I recently put Williams FireSight adjustable slugger sights on the vent rib..I shot 2 3/4in game loads between 15 an 20yards to get a rough zero for my sights

First shot 30yards/no pellet count done,but clearly alot of density..Shot was WAY low versus my intended POA

Second shot was still low but closer,and I did not take a picture

Third shot aint to bad but I am new to all this..I counted 175 in the 10inch the first time and my wife counted 189(Go figure)..

So what now? Do I need to adjust left and up or just one or the other?.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good pattern. Were you aiming in the middle of the orange? If so you could move the sights, or just aim at the head instead of the neck. Either way it looks like your good to go.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know the shells aren't cheap but shoot a few times before you move anything. You could also shoot a couple cheap low brass rounds to center up your pattern, then confirm with your hunting rounds.

I know the shells aren't cheap but shoot a few times before you move anything. You could also shoot a couple cheap low brass rounds to center up your pattern, then confirm with your hunting rounds.

I have been meaning to update this..

I did just that ,but not necessarily in that order.I shot one at 30yd and adjusted up a hair.Then I shot a few small game 2 3/4-6s at 10yds of so then moved my sights left a bit..I shot at 30(266 hits),40(204 hits),50(142 hits) an 18yds..My 18yard pic is below an its nasty tight:smiley_depressive:..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been meaning to update this..

I did just that ,but not necessarily in that order.I shot one at 30yd and adjusted up a hair.Then I shot a few small game 2 3/4-6s at 10yds of so then moved my sights left a bit..I shot at 30(266 hits),40(204 hits),50(142 hits) an 18yds..My 18yard pic is below an its nasty tight:smiley_depressive:..

Yep... That'll get the job done. Lol. Thanks for the update.