Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions? Replaceable blade knives.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
For most of my life I've used various fixed blade skinning and caping knives for all of my hunting needs. Usually this includes deer the occasional small game animal. The main brand that comes to mind is Buck knives. Durable, strong, abuse resistant and able to be resharpened easily.

Over the last 5-10 years Ive seen lots of replaceable blade knives, most notably, outdoor edge. These knives are razor sharp, but generally only measure 3-3.5" in length. When they get dull you throw the blade away and insert a new one. I've resisted getting one. But...I figure even an old dog can learn new tricks. And while I'm still not down with getting into a coyote den or blood trailing deer at Strouds, maybe some of you can educate me on these things.

Are the replaceable blade knives all that? How long do they last? Can I get more than one deer out of one blade? Are they durable and large enough to get the job done? Ive been told size matters....but I'd rather not unpack that right now. So...opinions?? I'm mostly interested in outdoor edge razorlite 3.5's.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I don't have any and have transitioned to knives with better steel (higher carbon) sharpen better and hold their edge longer than softer steels. I also use more knivesthan I used to when skinning and processing deer.

Wiley E Coyote

Being able to touch up the edge on a knife or axe is one of the things that makes you a good outdoorsman! You know they dull just as fast as all the other knives you have owned. Maybe they sharpen IDK but I'll keep on touching my blades up with a stone and be proud that I don't need anyone else to do it for me. Have a great weekend y'all! The little girl and I are heading out this morning after some Bluegill and I will tell you I love my electric filet knife 😁😂🤣

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
I use the outdoor edge and have 0 complaints. I can typically get 1.5 deer done with 1 blade, and that include field dressing, skinning, deboning meat and cubing. I always carry spare blades in my pack, so you’ll never be without a sharp blade in the woods. They’re reasonably priced too. I appreciate a fixed blade knife, but for convenience sake I really like my outdoor edge.

Like @Hedgelj , I have transitioned to harder steel knives that hold an edge longer. (y)
I only need them to last thru a field dressing, then I can resharpen them later, if needed. By the end of field dressing a deer, if the blade shows any signs of not cutting with the same ease as when I started, it'll get resharpened. :unsure: Otherwise, it'll get cleaned and put away for the next hunt. :cool: No disposables for me. (n)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have a havalon and outdoor edge .. I have broken two outdoor edge knives but the rigidity of the blade keeps me buying them. The havalon is a great butt hole knife (yes I said it ) caper and gutting tool but your won’t get any breast bone on even an average doe. Live having access to sharp blades if I need them as well

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
If you get one, get the heavy duty blades for them. The standard blades will bend backwards on you if hit something hard at the wrong angle. The heavier blades will just snap which is more preferable than bending.

If you use a smooth steel on the blades you can extend the life of the blades,

Reactions: Tipmoose

SNIPERBBB

Se ohio
If you can find a Gamekeeper Switchback, thats the one id recommend as it has a built in extra blade holder so you don't have to have loose blades running around in a pack

Reactions: Tipmoose