Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio State Buckeyes 2023

Sauger

Warsaw
They could have won that game by 100 points and I will stand firm. He along with the play calling are not good. There is way to much talent on that roster to play the way they have all year and to lose the big games.

Kirby inherited a dumpster fire and once he got his own players in there there was no stopping him. They are a contender every year. Day inherited probably one of the best rosters in the country and still could not win the big ones.

You all can say what you want and yes he has a winning record, that's not why your getting paid millions. Your getting millions for winning the games that matter!

Off my soap box.

Creamer

Athens
I'm not saying beating Michigan doesn't matter, but here's a look at Urban Meyer's OSU record and what beating Michigan meant.

2012: beat UM, but no bowl game for probation
2013: beat UM, but loses to an undermatched MSU team in title game, followed by a loss to Clemson in their bowl
2014: beat UM, wins title
2015: beat UM, but earlier loss to MSU and their backup QB keeps OSU from playoff
2016: beat UM, but gets housed by Clemson in semifinal 31-0
2017: beat UM, but the thrashing they took at Iowa kept them from the playoff
2018: beat UM, but the thrashing they took at Purdue kept them from the playoff

One of the 7 years resulted in a title. One. I think it can be easily argued that Meyer's overall results were underachieving, given the talent on his rosters. Day has struggled against Michigan, but Michigan is a much different program now than it was when Meyer was in charge. And each year with Day, The Game has real playoff implications. In Meyer's 7 seasons, beating UM only even got OSU on the way to the playoff 2/7 years. The glory days might not have been as glorious as people seem to think.

Jamie

Ohio
I'm not saying beating Michigan doesn't matter, but here's a look at Urban Meyer's OSU record and what beating Michigan meant.

2013: beat UM, but loses to an undermatched MSU team in title game, followed by a loss to Clemson in their bowl
2015: beat UM, but earlier loss to MSU and their backup QB keeps OSU from playoff

One of the 7 years resulted in a title. One. I think it can be easily argued that Meyer's overall results were underachieving, given the talent on his rosters. Day has struggled against Michigan, but Michigan is a much different program now than it was when Meyer was in charge. And each year with Day, The Game has real playoff implications. In Meyer's 7 seasons, beating UM only even got OSU on the way to the playoff 2/7 years. The glory days might not have been as glorious as people seem to think.
LOL, Buckeye Nation has a very short memory. :ROFLMAO: Michigan was just the better team this year, but they very well may have cheated the prior two years. Michigan got whipped at home in 2019 by first year head coach Ryan Day and Michigan was ranked 10th at the time. Michigan refused to play the game in 2020, and they would have gotten spanked by Justin Fields and Co. again if they had.

Ryan Day isn't going anywhere. He puts asses in seats because he puts a good product on the field, He recruits well and represents the brand well to everyone except for disgruntled fans with unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Gern186

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Preach! For years under Meyer I repeatedly said that OSU needed to fire him and he was an egotistical CEO-style coach that never had the heart of the players. Boy did I get lambasted as an OSU hater by those who worshiped at the altar of Meyer. 😅. It wasn't until an OSU benched Burrow left and won a Natty and the Heisman that people started to see how bad Urban really was. There isn't anything wrong with Day. I believe he's developing the team and they're looking pretty good. Unfortunately, UM has been on a roll for the last couple of years. And we can't compare Day to Kirby's ability at Georgia. Ole Kirby attended Saban University which is a huge advantage.

Reactions: Creamer

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with Jamie and Creamer. The rumors of him leaving make me scratch my head as well. How much more money does a guy need to leave? He is making plenty. I can't see that being a factor. His heart "appears" to be at OSU. The loss yesterday sucked but was a respectable loss (if there is such a thing). I don't see him leaving to rebuild a team or start over with another team. The only reason would be if there was a scandal behind the scenes we haven't heard about. Anything is possible but I don't see him leaving.

Reactions: Creamer and Gern186

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I think Day leaves for the NFL before he'd take another college job. Michigan is just a different animal now. Harbaugh has built a bully. Same thing he did at Stanford and San Francisco. In a game like yesterday, with what was at stake, it was gonna be resolved with violence. You can jump around pregame like a buffoon with a whistle, but you better have your team prepared for a physical test of endurance. Day could've stuck with the run and probably play Trayunum more IMO. He lacks patience for that style of game

Reactions: Creamer

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Preach! For years under Meyer I repeatedly said that OSU needed to fire him and he was an egotistical CEO-style coach that never had the heart of the players. Boy did I get lambasted as an OSU hater by those who worshiped at the altar of Meyer. 😅. It wasn't until an OSU benched Burrow left and won a Natty and the Heisman that people started to see how bad Urban really was. There isn't anything wrong with Day. I believe he's developing the team and they're looking pretty good. Unfortunately, UM has been on a roll for the last couple of years. And we can't compare Day to Kirby's ability at Georgia. Ole Kirby attended Saban University which is a huge advantage.
Bama loses to Auburn 3 years in a row and murmurs begin, FACT! But the GOAT would never have that happen EVER!
Murmurs were rampant after OSU beat TTUN Days first year with Urbs players.
Comes with the territory. Can’t play/coach not to lose just like a prevent defense! Auburn lost that game last night because only 2 linemen rushed giving Milroe and his receivers 5 minutes to get open. Dumbest defensive strategy EVER!!!! You hold them ALL GAME and go to a scheme like that?!?!? STUPIT

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
2 turnovers was the difference in that game. Hard to put the blame on the coach for those.
Yea you can. Day calls the plays and chose McCord over McCarthy when they were recruiting them. You better have players who can handle pressure. I wish I could find the Stat, but Kyle McCord was the worst QB in the conference when facing pressure and it was by a wide margin. You better lean on the run more and have route trees with easy safety valve options to help him out

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Like the article states, he can win games against less talented teams being conservative but not against equally or better talented teams coaching that way. Last year against GA was a breath of fresh air the way he unleashed Stroud and opened up the playbook and took a few risks. That game could have gone either way and personally I felt OSU got screwed a few crucial plays but that was Days best coaching job in all of his career as HC at OSU. Instead of keeping that philosophy and building upon it he fell right back into Cooper/Tressel play calling mentality.
If you can’t beat your rival or any of the BETTER teams in the NCAA I don’t care how your win/loss record is if it’s padded with games you were favored to win in the first place. The easiest fix would be him just changing his coaching philosophy and at least try to not be so conservative and predictable, I could live with that. Thats what should happen but I’m not holding my breath cuz I just think that’s who he is.🙄

Reactions: 5Cent

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
IMG_4006.jpg