Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nothing about Nothing

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
FB_IMG_1549640467909.jpg

Matt

Norton, OH

Seriously racist dude... I'm not cool with this shit. I can't speak for Joe, Jesse, or anyone else on this site. But honestly if I was black or had any inclination of human decency, and I was looking for a great place to find some information on hunting in Ohio, this right here would drive me straight away from this site. Is this really the person you would like to represent yourself as, or the message you would like portrayed on this site? There's a time and place for jokes, but this one is pretty tasteless, and not the first I've seen here. And I'm sorry, as a high school teacher and a public person who is trying to bring more people into hunting, if this is the message the site wants, then someone let me know now so that I can distance myself once again from it.

Reactions: Mike and hickslawns

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Seriously racist dude... I'm not cool with this shit. I can't speak for Joe, Jesse, or anyone else on this site. But honestly if I was black or had any inclination of human decency, and I was looking for a great place to find some information on hunting in Ohio, this right here would drive me straight away from this site. Is this really the person you would like to represent yourself as, or the message you would like portrayed on this site? There's a time and place for jokes, but this one is pretty tasteless, and not the first I've seen here. And I'm sorry, as a high school teacher and a public person who is trying to bring more people into hunting, if this is the message the site wants, then someone let me know now so that I can distance myself once again from it.

Then have it deleted. I pick on everything including my race. Sorry if your offended or if anyone else is. Wasn’t my intentions. For the record a lot of my best friends are black and other races. Most races are harder on their own kind than other races are on them. I know I am, this world is full of trash, I don’t see color but I guess you do. I’m fine if the mods want it deleted. For the record I could complain about every post in this thread, but I view it as light hearted shit.

Matt

Norton, OH
Then have it deleted. I pick on everything including my race. Sorry if your offended or if anyone else is. Wasn’t my intentions. For the record a lot of my best friends are black and other races. Most races are harder on their own kind than other races are on them. I know I am, this world is full of trash, I don’t see color but I guess you do. I’m fine if the mods want it deleted. For the record I could complain about every post in this thread, but I view it as light hearted shit.

The problem really comes down to the fact that even if you are the least racist person there is, does that mean the casual web crawler knows where you are coming from? I can tell you that I don't know you from Adam, and your post is racist. So in my mind, that makes you a racist. I'm sure that I could talk to you and discover all that about you, but will the person just checking things out take the time to try to figure out what you meant, or just take it as you are a racist and this isn't where they want to be? There's a fine line out there about being offensive and being racist. From an outsider's perspective, do you think that picture crosses it? And sure, there are plenty of other things that are on this site that are offensive. But are they offensive because they are politically hot-button issues, or are they offensive because they are overtly racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.?

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Most things are racist because the individual sees it as racist. Does that make it racist, I’m not sure. Watch the news, everything is racist, all except the racist people. Not calling anyone out as I really don’t care. Don’t want this to be a debate either. I’m fine if something I post is deleted. My feelings isn’t hurt at all. Anyone can have an issue with anything. I’ve seen some stuff posted that “I didn’t care for” and you know what I did? Nothing, that’s right, I just look the other way cause I don’t care for it. I respect you for the way you feel and your views. I don’t intend to be offensive, rather to be funny and light hearted. At this point I feel no need to defend myself, nor should you. I can’t even delete it cause you quoted me using it. Sometimes indirectly we make things worse by pointing something out instead of just letting it go. I understand that as a group of members here that somethings might upset someone. If that’s the case, a PM to a mod can resolve things instead of highlighting something that someone doesn’t like. Please have it deleted and all the post of us discussing it, it’s just that simple. Again I had no intent on hurting someone’s feelings, I hope you understand.

God I miss the days when EVERYTHING didn’t offend someone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt

Norton, OH
God I miss the days when EVERYTHING didn’t offend someone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all honesty, I think this is the point that I'm trying to make. If your implying that I am somehow offended by "everything" because I call out a racist, stereotyping photo as such, this is where I need to ask the question if this is the appropriate place I can be associated with. If a group of people can't find the nuance and distinction between posting politically offending material and a post that refers to black people as yard apes, then it's where I have to take my leave.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

If you don't like something then do what you want Matt. We're not in the business of censoring members over harmless pictures that in the scope of things don't matter. If Chris Rock posted it people would laugh, look back through this thread an see how many redneck cousin fucker jokes were posted. It's the same shit. Cast your judgement on that person, ignore that person, take off for the hills if you like, but don't think for a second that we're going to censor someone because someone got their feelings hurt over a joke.

If we want to claim racist stereotypes aren't funny then this pic should offend you just as much as the other thing did.
19896541f650b6a89b2b0b90c0a89018--small-minds-redneck-crazy.jpg

Last edited:

Matt

Norton, OH
Alright, so I guess I need to lay it out where I am coming from here. I was raised a casual hunter; deer, rabbit, squirrels every once and a while. Then towards the end of college, I discovered the "other" site and began to be exposed to a much greater passion for hunting along the way. I became fairly good friends with a core group of guys there and made the journey away from that site, to another site, and eventually here to TOO. All along the way, the guys in these places helped me, mentored me, exposed me to a greater passion for the outdoors. We drank beers together, shot bows, caught fish, Jesse and Geezer even got me my first compound bow. I developed a great passion because of the mentorship I recieved. I reached a point in my life that was full of crisis, and change, and I felt that for the time I had the knowledge I needed and drifted away. As time has gone on, I realized that the passion these guys had sparked in me grew more and more and I realized I wanted to help inspire that passion in other people. I've introduced a few friends to hunting, and now I've set my sights on something bigger. I'm a high school teacher, and just started my schools first outdoors club, and we had 17 kids show up, eager to be involved. I wanted to come back to TOO for two reasons. One, I hope that I can be that inspiration to people like Jesse, Geezer, and a lot of these other guys have been to me. And two, I wanted to see if this was a place where I could hopefully point those kids to (as they go beyond graduation) so they may also be inspired. I'm not going to go back and delete any posts, because if I'm going to stay, I want the conversation to stay as a reminder to others. I can't change you guys, I can't. But the question I am asking, and need an answer to is this: is that picture over the line? It crosses my threshold of what I can ignore. It goes beyond being offensive to someone's political views. Is it the most offensive thing that could be posted? Of course not. But it's a line nonetheless. We all have lines, the question is, where is TOO's line?

And before you think that I am somehow some easily-triggered snowflake, remember that I also spend two straight months every summer as a commercial fisherman, surrounded by other fishermen who are much more coarse, and salty, and offensive than anyone I spend time with in a high school setting. And I get along with them just fine.