Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Northern MI: Part II

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Back up north tent camping with the ole man for rifle opener. Got a couple inches of snow on the ground and what was in the forecast is now no longer which is a little bit of a disappointment. I dipped outta work around 4:30 and was up here around 9. My dad came up early yesterday and spent all day today scouting and wasn’t very encouraging on our phone call on the way up. Very little sign and more hunting pressure than he’s seen in a few years I guess. Still hopeful considering how close I was on sealing the deal on a doe with my bow a couple weeks ago. I got my camp set up, including a buddy heater and new sleeping bag lol. Looking forward to what the next couple days bring, especially toting a gun and not a bow now. I will try and keep this thread updated with anything exciting.
4E8E2155-7D25-45AC-A04C-5CECA3B7E569.jpeg
D1D21F56-B3CE-4BEC-98F9-2002DB5FF53D.jpeg

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Settled into my stand 15 minutes earlier than I expected to which is definitely ideal. About a 3/4 mile walk in here. I did not see any tracks in the mud or snow until I was within 50 yds of the tree I have picked out. 3 sets of them, two being significantly larger than the other and going away from my position which has me hopeful they will be back through going back to bed. As I rounded the corner of a large stand of mature pines, I saw two reflectors down the edge of them. They were bright then faded away. Mind you it’s snowing like a SOB and my head lamp is on the lowest setting. I look that direction again and they reappeared, that’s when I realized it’s a very large set of whitetail eyes staring at me 40-50 yds away. I continued towards them and it stayed put. The deer slowly walked into the pines as I climbed the tree, and I could still see them reflecting after I got my third stick hung. I never heard it take of or blow at me so that’s a positive, and I’ve already seen almost as many deer as I did when I was bow hunting 😂

I’m not sure if my dad is hunting this am or not, but I’m leaning towards the latter. After seeing the direction of those tracks and deer I’m thinking he should at least be sitting on the ground near the stand he hung last time we were up here.

Time will tell, I’m ready to kill something.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Well it’s legal shooting light. Has been for a little bit. Heard snow crunching to my NE and almost
Couldn’t believe it. Dropped my recliner strap and was reaching for my binos to identify when I heard it coughing. Some muhfuggar came bumble fugging in at first light. Couldnt and still can’t see any blaze orange over there but heard him cough, definitely not a deer. Talk about disheartening.

Bigcountry40

Well it’s legal shooting light. Has been for a little bit. Heard snow crunching to my NE and almost
Couldn’t believe it. Dropped my recliner strap and was reaching for my binos to identify when I heard it coughing. Some muhfuggar came bumble fugging in at first light. Couldnt and still can’t see any blaze orange over there but heard him cough, definitely not a deer. Talk about disheartening.
TT,
Has MIchigan Gun season popularity dwindled or is it still pretty popular event in Northern Mich? Like is there still a lot of deer camps, lots trucks parked throughout the first week etc?

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
TT,
Has MIchigan Gun season popularity dwindled or is it still pretty popular event in Northern Mich? Like is there still a lot of deer camps, lots trucks parked throughout the first week etc?
It’s hard to say. My dad says it’s not nearly what it was 20 years ago, which I believe. We have a few friends that are up here at their cabin that didn’t even bring rifles, and just plan to drink beers the next few days. But I will say every single motel I passed had full parking lots which I could only assume are hunters. I think with the increase in archery technology- especially crossbows, more people are bow hunting than gun hunting but that’s just an opinion. It’s been legal shooting light for over an hour and I’ve only heard a dozen shots at most…

Bigcountry40

It’s hard to say. My dad says it’s not nearly what it was 20 years ago, which I believe. We have a few friends that are up here at their cabin that didn’t even bring rifles, and just plan to drink beers the next few days. But I will say every single motel I passed had full parking lots which I could only assume are hunters. I think with the increase in archery technology- especially crossbows, more people are bow hunting than gun hunting but that’s just an opinion. It’s been legal shooting light for over an hour and I’ve only heard a dozen shots at most…
Every year I talk about doing Michigan Gun opener and just keep putting it off, good luck to you and your father keep us posted on things, I am very interested to hear how your week goes.

Reactions: TinyTucky

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Heard a shot that scared the hell out of me. Had to be homeboy I heard stumbling in at first light. Haven’t heard him get up or walk around. Will likely sit till 10 and pack up everything and still hunt my way back to camp. I have a decent feeling on where some deer may be bedded, and I am tempted to recruit my dad and possibly do a little wind bump. The set up for it would be perfect.
F949F8E9-57BC-491E-9575-54626D2AC22F.jpeg

Bigcountry40

Heard a shot that scared the hell out of me. Had to be homeboy I heard stumbling in at first light. Haven’t heard him get up or walk around. Will likely sit till 10 and pack up everything and still hunt my way back to camp. I have a decent feeling on where some deer may be bedded, and I am tempted to recruit my dad and possibly do a little wind bump. The set up for it would be perfect. View attachment 140192
What kind of rifle you using?

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
What kind of rifle you using?
It’s a Ruger AR 5.56 chambered in .350 Legend. Although I could be using one of the handful of high powered rifles I’ve bought or won over the years, I opted for the straight wall due to the area I’m hunting. 150 yards is the absolute furthest I could shoot here with the trees and terrain, so I figured I might as well dial the .350 in since I’ll be using it for OH gun as well.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Back at camp now eating a very much so welcomed bacon sandwich. Around 10:03 I heard the signature “MEHH”…….POWW. Guy I heard shoot earlier shot again, this time I had time to look and watch the deer fall. 150 yds away or so. Sat another 40 min or so and waited. Never saw the hunter get up or move to retrieve his deer. Very strange. Packed my gear up and did a little still hunting/ scouting on my way back. Found some decent sign along the cattail marsh away from where homeboy was hunting. Gonna finish eating lunch then get back in there.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Pissed off and sweaty. Over dressed for the walk in, tree I originally wanted to be in was too big, as well as the second and third. Fourth tree is in the right area but too far from the marsh to see into it, and not in line with the edge of the pines to see down them. The wind can’t make up its mind either. It’ll be complete luck if anything happens. My dad is slowly making his way into his stand, hoping he bumps something towards me. Fingers crossed. I may end up sitting here 10 minutes and convince myself to better my odds and move to a better tree. 😖