Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Maumee River 3/29/24

I fished the walleye run at the Maumee River, for the first time in over 25 years, today. The things that I noticed that have changed are the 6 Limit, which used to be 10. Also, 98% of the anglers there were very polite and patient when there were line tangles and quite often they helped net fish for people that were upstream of them. :)

I caught one keeper walleye, one that was only 14" and a carp. There were a few snagged fish that were immediately released, by me or other assisting anglers. The water level is at 850, which is very low according to the resident anglers. :unsure: It's supposed to rain for the next 5 days, which would help that situation.

This type of fishing is something completely different from anything I've ever experienced. Casting out and watching the line as the weighted carolina rig gently rolls with the current, while watching the rod tip bounce and waiting for it to bend....indicating a bite. :sneaky: Just the same, I couldn't make myself leave, despite losing several jigs and having to retie. :rolleyes:

I may have to go back and try my luck another time....but it'll be in the middle of the week, when there's less people. Standing there looking up and down the river, there had to be 130+ anglers standing in the river. :oops: Most of them standing about 10' from the next person and yet everyone was taking turns casting and making sure they retrieved their lines soon enough to not effect the anglers downstream. :cool:
Maumee 8.jpg

Maumee 6.jpg

Attachments

• Maumee 8.jpg
    Maumee 8.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 27