Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Location location.!!!!

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
Howdy I been looking to buy land southeast Ohio. Around Vinton county.gallia. ... I want buy form owner.do u think 25 acres is good since business down that what I can afford or should I look some other county ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I bought land in Vinton county in 2012. I hunted state land for three years before finding the right piece of land. Did lots of looking on real estate sites then printed out the ones that seemed promising...then put boots to the ground. I looked at many properties over those three years before finding one I liked. There are many things to consider when buying hunting land and you don’t want to be stuck with a headache. I walked each piece and looked for deer/turkey sign...then looked for signs of other hunters...looked onto neighboring properties to see if there were deer stands/feeders on or near the property line. You don’t need competition, especially when you aren’t local. If there are quad trails going from the property to the neighbors, expect lots of traffic. Can the property be easily accessed? Road hunting/poaching could be a problem. If possible, talk to the neighbors, do they hunt?...do they seem like good people?...they can tell you about what goes on during the average deer season around that area. A good neighbor is priceless. They can keep an eye on your place and possibly help you with small projects...just make sure to treat them right, help them out with their projects, ect. Also make sure that if a deer dies in a remote place on your property, that you have the resources to get him out...I had to spend a couple of days with a chainsaw to cut paths big enough for a quad to get to several ravines on my place during the off season. It paid off the past two seasons as both bucks ran straight to the bottom of the deepest ravine. Good luck! Let us know how your search goes.😊👍

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
I bought land in Vinton county in 2012. I hunted state land for three years before finding the right piece of land. Did lots of looking on real estate sites then printed out the ones that seemed promising...then put boots to the ground. I looked at many properties over those three years before finding one I liked. There are many things to consider when buying hunting land and you don’t want to be stuck with a headache. I walked each piece and looked for deer/turkey sign...then looked for signs of other hunters...looked onto neighboring properties to see if there were deer stands/feeders on or near the property line. You don’t need competition, especially when you aren’t local. If there are quad trails going from the property to the neighbors, expect lots of traffic. Can the property be easily accessed? Road hunting/poaching could be a problem. If possible, talk to the neighbors, do they hunt?...do they seem like good people?...they can tell you about what goes on during the average deer season around that area. A good neighbor is priceless. They can keep an eye on your place and possibly help you with small projects...just make sure to treat them right, help them out with their projects, ect. Also make sure that if a deer dies in a remote place on your property, that you have the resources to get him out...I had to spend a couple of days with a chainsaw to cut paths big enough for a quad to get to several ravines on my place during the off season. It paid off the past two seasons as both bucks ran straight to the bottom of the deepest ravine. Good luck! Let us know how your search goes.[emoji4][emoji106]

Thank u for taking time witting nice advice very true what U said I been hunting in tar hallow area. Last couple years.I like the area been off roading with my Jeep club there too Hard to find a good land online best way is to know someone In area selling by owner or some one live there can give u pin or maybe u know some neighbors selling one [emoji4]n case u find any pm me plz.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
I bought land in Vinton county in 2012. I hunted state land for three years before finding the right piece of land. Did lots of looking on real estate sites then printed out the ones that seemed promising...then put boots to the ground. I looked at many properties over those three years before finding one I liked. There are many things to consider when buying hunting land and you don’t want to be stuck with a headache. I walked each piece and looked for deer/turkey sign...then looked for signs of other hunters...looked onto neighboring properties to see if there were deer stands/feeders on or near the property line. You don’t need competition, especially when you aren’t local. If there are quad trails going from the property to the neighbors, expect lots of traffic. Can the property be easily accessed? Road hunting/poaching could be a problem. If possible, talk to the neighbors, do they hunt?...do they seem like good people?...they can tell you about what goes on during the average deer season around that area. A good neighbor is priceless. They can keep an eye on your place and possibly help you with small projects...just make sure to treat them right, help them out with their projects, ect. Also make sure that if a deer dies in a remote place on your property, that you have the resources to get him out...I had to spend a couple of days with a chainsaw to cut paths big enough for a quad to get to several ravines on my place during the off season. It paid off the past two seasons as both bucks ran straight to the bottom of the deepest ravine. Good luck! Let us know how your search goes.[emoji4][emoji106]

Hey waz up. I found a land I need ur opinion on it. Since ur more familiar with area. How I send u a drop pin [emoji419]

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Hey waz up. I found a land I need ur opinion on it. Since ur more familiar with area. How I send u a drop pin [emoji419]

I’m not local so I’m not that familiar with the area. Before I made an offer on the piece that I bought, I did exactly what Dave said, boots on the ground. That way you know exactly what’s there as far as deer sign, other hunters, accessibility, ect.

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
Why not go put boots on the ground? Look at Google earth, plat maps, topo maps. Maybe pay for an app that gives you neighbors information and contact them.

I did scout it very good. Little steep down hill and small creek ravine. Some flat

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
Any deer sign? How easy is it for other hunters to access? Is it wooded, clearcut, fields?

Some sign yes. But what I didn’t like close to street lot

old glasses bottles and like 8 tiers that questionable people dumping there shit there. But look old stuff not new.

Reactions: Sgt Fury