Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211116_151634.jpg

Well, a new change of scenery for me finally. Currently at my 'Northwestern Stand' for the first time this season, and it's the furthest I've been in for this portion of the property this season as well. It's an area where I have watched deer come and go for nearly a week, including this morning. I'm not positive, but I think a brand new roamer has arrived on the property. Seen him come from the West earlier this morning at sunrise, headed right towards a well known thick bedding area, directly across from me, through the South field, much closer to my 'Southwestern Stand'.

Speaking of roamers, this first one that hit the property last week, the one that I had a real excellect encounter with, well, he found the feed station yesterday mornin and apperantly he too is still in the area. I made a very brief video of his visit there yesterday morning.

Good luck to all that's huntin this evening!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211116_174315.jpg

Figured this would happen as soon as I seen the half a dozen antlerless deer step out into South field shortly after my last post.

Just after 4:00 p.m., all these deer started grazing at the back of the South field, just around the wooded point, in the cup area.

Now they've worked their way between me and my ticket outta here, which is to go through the field..

The field is my preferred way out and not cut through the woods.

Anyhow, I'm stuck temporarily, waiting on the deer to move on and leave the area.

Was planning on hanging TC too. Probably do that next time.

Oh-boy, just heard a grunt, shit, I'll be here for a while. Sky is clear and moon is brilliant.

No shooter seen this evening during legal times, just a young buck headed towards my 'Western Stand', perhaps to munch down some corn.

BTW, I forgot my eye glasses so, I hope I didn't mess this post up too bad :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
From what I've seen in multiple counties and 2 different states the deer herds are gonna be hurting the next couple of years. Basically zero rutting activity, most all does are still grouped up with their fawns from last year. I've got a place I seen 12 or more does everyday and there has yet to be a mature buck of any size with them. And only one or 2 small bucks out there every night not even bumping them.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
From what I've seen in multiple counties and 2 different states the deer herds are gonna be hurting the next couple of years. Basically zero rutting activity, most all does are still grouped up with their fawns from last year. I've got a place I seen 12 or more does everyday and there has yet to be a mature buck of any size with them. And only one or 2 small bucks out there every night not even bumping them.
Same here

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Very similar for me. The first week of November was typical and I saw 3-5 year olds checking does. Since November 6th I haven’t seen anything older than 2. Very little rut activity. Now people I have been hunting with have seen mature deer doing their thing. So maybe my bad luck just hasn’t allowed me to be where the hot does have been.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Seems like we get a rut like this every few years. “Trickle rut” or something? Idk. Depends on the moon and some other factors I don’t fully understand. But whenever it happens, there’s always fawns dropping in the spring and things go on as usual. For whatever reason we just don’t witness it as much some years, I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Seems like we get a rut like this every few years. “Trickle rut” or something? Idk. Depends on the moon and some other factors I don’t fully understand. But whenever it happens, there’s always fawns dropping in the spring and things go on as usual. For whatever reason we just don’t witness it as much some years, I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
You are exactly right. Last year I experienced the best overall rut I have ever seen. The same stands this year have produced little activity. But there will be fawns in the spring.
My last 2 hunts at the lease the boy that lives there has sent me pics of shooters chasing does by his house. I was 150 yards from one and could never see it. Sometimes the does zig when we need them to zag. Well in my case every time.

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
I'm also 100% positive that the hunting pressure has something to do with it.
I know for a fact this was a big contributor where I'm hunting this year. Along with all the trespassers and rediculous neighbors. Was lucky to take my buck though so it worked out. Waiting on gun season to take a doe with the 450 and then save another tag for late season.

Reactions: AH2319

Cogz

Cogz
TX
That conversation goes along with what the DNR has said for years. The better the population, the less of a rut you see. I'll take the bigger population and have more tasty targets.
I also believe that mature bucks breed their first doe earlier than we think with a higher population. I watched a big doe stand for a 4 yr old buck on oct 29 last year in ohio. This year i watched the buck i harvested in KS lock down from 10/30 thru the moment I shot him mid day on 11/1. This was with a mature doe who’s fawn acted as a satellite the entire time.

Reactions: AH2319 and Spencie

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Glad I’m not the only one. I thought it was just me. I spent a hell of a lot of time in the woods this year during “rut” but only saw a couple young bucks chasing. Last year and in years past I saw some big boys come out of the wood work and could care less I was there.

Reactions: AH2319 and Sgt Fury
Wayne co. Hunter here. Rut is the same time around here year after year and we’ve seen more shooters as we’ve managed the land better each year. Moon has nothing to do with it. Weather does somewhat. We’ve seen 3 active home range bucks since late November and at least 5 different cruising shooters on camera and in the stand.

Main things that have increased our numbers and big bucks killed are not over hunting in early October, always hunting the right wind and providing tons of cover for bug bucks and close food source.